VadaVaka

Full Version: Unlucky 13 ever wonder why?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
13 is a cool number if you like math....I remember it fascinated me in school when my algebra teacher showed us that 13 x 13 = 169 and 31 x 31 = 961 they are inverses of each other and they result in inverse answers...it is the largest prime number and it is the first number to be a teen......ok geek time over...
I am not real sure why 13 is considered unlucky maybe one of you knows that answer but when I started thinking about it I could see why it would be

Revelations 13 is about the antichrist
Apollo 13 is the infamous "Houston we have a problem"
Chapter 13 is about Bankruptcy
Cuban Missile Crisis lasted 13 days
America had originally 13 colonies....ok that is not necessarily a bad luck thing I was just on a roll with the number 13. But I am sure there are more famous 13..wanna help list them?

btw this all came up because I am flying to Florida on February 13th wish me luck:blsh:
Prime Minister has 13 letters in it
so does Saddam Hussein
and cake anonymity has 13 letters too
Woohoo! I love knowing this, especially because there's a good reason I know.

The fear of the number 13 comes from the fear of Friday the 13th (not the movie, the actual date), and that comes from a curse Jacques DeMolay put on the King of France. The Knights Templar watched over certain areas during the Crusades and gathered a lot of money and power over time, and became somewhat ritualistic and a very close fraternity of brothers. On one single day, the king ordered that every knight templar in France be arrested and taken in, and this is where the exact dates get tricky for me to remember. I think I recalled that that single day was Friday the 13th, in October. Either way, Jacques DeMolay (the last Grand Master of the Knights Templar) and Guy of Auvergne were burned at the stake, but as he was, DeMolay put a curse on the king and pope (the two in particular who persecuted him and his brothers). Pope Clement died within the year, King Philip soon after that, along with his three brothers.

The reason I know this is because I am a member of a fraternity called DeMolay, a branch of the Freemasons. It's basically like junior Freemasons, it's for people 13-21 years old. However we have our own rituals and our own sets of precepts, so it's quite a bit different, just loosely based on the Freemasons. One of the rituals involves the reinactment of the trial of Jacques DeMolay... the reason he's the namesake of the group is because even after being tortured and broken, he wouldn't give up his loyalty and tell them where the other templars and money were. And thus you have the corny notion of brotherhood. I'm inactive in DeMolay because the organization is sort of falling apart (at least in SoCal) and took too much of my time.

Here's a link I just found that means I'm not completely insane and made this up in my head.
http://astrology.about.combrary/weekly/...friday+the+13th
Friday the 13th is my luckiest day actually. Many many good things happen to me on that day.

However Saturday the 14th is the day I don't step outside my door and leave my computer off. Most of the time if I have to go out that day something bad happens to me. :/
Quote:it is the largest prime number and it is the first number to be a teen

you mean that 13 is the 'smallest' prime number to be a teen?

btw, if someone lives to be 113, are they considered a teenager again?^_^
no, because they are 113.

13 was the age that I ... mm.. oh.. yeah.. erm.. anyway:)
lied about your sex life?:P

Nope, actually it was when I moved out and became independent! (ok ok so not really I went to live with my Gran).