VadaVaka

Full Version: Free windows security update CD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I signed up for this last night and it says that in 2 to 4 weeks I will have the CDs.

From what I have been reading from people that have recieved their CDs it includes all the security patches and other updates right up to Feb 2004. On the site it says 2003 sometime.

I figured what the heck, it would be nice to have all the security patches and updates on a CD just incase instead of having to download them if/when I reformat.

I also figured, hey what the heck, its free. You don't pay a cent for it at all.

I think it does a check of your reg and other stuff so if you running a cracked version of windows, I would not advise you to do this. But all others with legal copies I say go for it. I couldn't hurt to have a CD with all the patches on it.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp
Its a good idea to have. I ordered a copy.
Ordered one:D
It will check your serial number just like Service Pack 1 for XP does. If you have
a pirated version, it will fail on the update. It won't 'break' it, just not finish.

BTW....some nasty returns of the NetSky virus and the Beagle virus are hitting my
corporation today. Make sure you update your antivirus for sure today, even if
it automatically updates say at midnight. Do it again.
I use to only update norton once a week, but in the last few months I've seen updates for it nearly everyday, Course there seems to be alot more viruses out there too.
Mine updates everytime I turn on the computer and whenever they issue them.
The last 6 months have not been very fun for us Admins when it comes to
keeping your entire corporation safe. I had one lady today call and say
she thinks she got a virus from her email so she went ahead and installed
her Norton Antivirus......

Me bangs my head against my desk!!!
If people were just a little smarter they wouldn't get hit by viruses through e-mail and if Macrosloth would be smarter, they wouldn't allow stuff to autolauch from e-mail
Just remember this acronym: PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair)

Lately I've been receiving a lot of email from people I don't know. They all (the topic lines) sound like real email (usually a response), but from oddball source addresses, all with an attachment, and all 35k. I know that description is vague, but that's the best I can do without opening the email. Any ideas on what it is?
The attachments must contains a virus so don't open them.
Its spam, don't open it :)

I've been getting lots of ones like that too for my hotmail account, they have actually been getting worse even with the new protection that hotmail is using
Hmm, I seem to be the only one who gets more problems whenever I update. Seems every update or patch they have to make a patch to fix the original patch. Now this cd, they will probably have to send out a cd to fix something else when someone finds a bug. Last time I updated my NIC didn't work for some reason so I had to use system restore, I never did figure out what happened but that was like December and I haven't updated since. Boy am I rebel B)...
nonconformist for sure
i seem to have a virus that keeps restoring itself..........

either that or the virus checker is messed.
...and you turned off Windows Restore on your XP before removing the virus ...riiiight?

Wha?,Mar 19 2004, 09:27 PM Wrote:Just remember this acronym: PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair)

Lately I've been receiving a lot of email from people I don't know. They all (the topic lines) sound like real email (usually a response), but from oddball source addresses, all with an attachment, and all 35k. I know that description is vague, but that's the best I can do without opening the email. Any ideas on what it is?
That is probably the netsky virus. Not spam as Gwar suggestions ;-) Anyway, the security update CD's are often available with a lot of the latest patches on them, but if you are using Windows Update then you shouldn't even need it.

When SP2 comes out later on this year, that'll be the one you definately want on CD with it being over 256mb. I checked out the download times, 4 hours on DSL (512k I believe), 11 hours on a 56k modem. Interestingly, they didn't list a 28.8k speed like they usually do.. (2 weeks ? ).
I get this alot email alot. It says "you'll want to see this password 23455.
the numbers are different sometimes, and it says it is from someone on my address book,but the people never sent it. But I delete it so I don't know what it is. One day I'm just get rid of my address book.
Since February, someone sends me the Netsky.B virus almost everyday (30k) in my yahoo mailbox. In yahoo, I can see the ip's sender... but no ports open:rolleyes:I mean should I report him to his ISP? :P

You'd be surprised at how many people with Anti-Virus believe that they are NOT infected when they clearly have been. As an example, the place I used to work at was rampant with them, I cleaned up the network when I joined, and set up measures to counter act this. Did I leave it there ? No, I checked daily reports and scanned the network to make sure the anti-virus was still running on the machines.

However, there was one person who appeared to be infected and that was outside of our network. Previously, he'd been infected and I'd take a trip to explain what needed to be done, and he'd got someone in to do it. However, he did become reinfected and without even taking a trip to his place, or checking any reports I could easily identify it was him. The IP was the same as an email had that a 3rd party had forwarded to me. The timing also highlighted it as within 30 minutes of this 3rd party sending the infected guy an email he was kindly returned with a virus.

When I told the infected guy, I got three things:
  • I already have anti-virus<>
  • I never sent the guy an email<>
  • All viruses were removed a few weeks ago<>
    [st]Unfortunately, they don't seem to appreciate that time doesn't stand still.