VadaVaka

Full Version: New reason not to bother with music CDs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=520

Quote:CD consumers need to battle with DRM and ever increasingly complicated routines in order to play their music on a personal computer. But now they have a new enemy: Adverts.

AOL Watch is reporting that the service provider AOL is bundling advertisements with CDs made by the Sony Music Corporation.

Celine Dion’s “Let’s Talk About Love” album plays normally on a standard CD player. However, when placed in a PC, the user is forced to view an advertisement for “50 HOURS FREE” of AOL.

Users have also complained that the album, which includes the hit “Titanic” theme, forces an upgrade upon next logging onto the America On Line service.

Bob La Due reports at AOL Watch that, “There is no notice on the outside packaging and a small insert sheet inside that, basically says, AOL Watch is reporting that the service provider AOL is bundling advertisements with CDs made by the Sony Music Corporation.

Celine Dion’s “Let’s Talk About Love” album plays normally on a standard CD player. However, when placed in a PC, the user is forced to view an advertisement for “50 HOURS FREE” of AOL.

Users have also complained that the album, which includes the hit “Titanic” theme, forces an upgrade upon next logging onto the America On Line service.

Bob La Due reports at AOL Watch that, “There is no notice on the outside packaging and a small insert sheet inside that, basically says, AOL is offering a 50 hour trial. They do not, however, tell you that your computer will not play the music the way it is intended to be and that you need to go here, go there, click on this and do that in order to enjoy Celine's fine music.”

This is not how most people would choose to spend $14 (Amazon.com)

Multiple other irate customers have contacted AOL Watch with the same concerns.

As compact disks are made less attractive, it is without doubt who the industry will blame for the resulting falling sales.

There is a bit of hope. Users can receive another, advert free, version of the CD by contacting Sony Music at [email protected].

Music fans will be hoping that this is the first and last time they see behavior like this.

I wonder who they are gonna blame the lose of CDs sales because of this on, the ads or p2p programs.
If they're advertising on the CDs, why should we pay for them?

Same with movies, I'm sick of sitting through 5-6 ads, then 6-7 previews to see my movie (in theaters)
Its not just the ads just before the movie, in my area for like 15 minutes before they are showing ads in the form of trivia questions.

But ya if there are ads on the CDs why do we have to pay for them?
[12:45:23]*FreeFall slaps the Sony Music Corporation around a bit with a large trout

I'm runnin' out of fish guys.
There are still plent of humback whales.
Doesn't bother me cause i don't listen to my cd's in my computer anyway.
lol ya. . neither do i.

And to make it twice as annoying you've included the middle bits twice !
The article must have been changed at the source, I just copied and pasted what was there to start.