VadaVaka

Full Version: Virus faking as microsoft
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There is a virus going around that will when its run crash the comp and result in that you wont be able to boot windows.
The virus is faking as a microsoft update from microsoft them selfs. The mail looks valid to many and the links direct to the right places. But it contains a nasty virus

See this page from a antivirus site

If you mailing program for some reason does not display html text (and i dont know if the text i just copied is gonna displayed right) then its displayed like this in text mode

Quote:MS User

this is the latest version of security update, the
"October 2004, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates
all known security vulnerabilities affecting
MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express
as well as three new vulnerabilities.
Install now to help protect your computer.
This update includes the functionality =
of all previously released patches.

System requirements: Windows 95/98/Me/2000/NT/XP
This update applies to:
- MS Internet Explorer, version 4.01 and later
- MS Outlook, version 8.00 and later
- MS Outlook Express, version 4.01 and later

Recommendation: Customers should install the patch =
at the earliest opportunity.
How to install: Run attached file. Choose Yes on displayed dialog box.
How to use: You don't need to do anything after installing this item.

Its the W32.Swen.A@mm virus
I never run anything that I get in the mail that is suppose to fix a "security" problem. If i'm going to install something thats suppose to fix the problem with windows I use windows updater or grab it right off the Microsoft site.

I also use a text only e-mail browser that will not auto launch things. Its called Agent. Since I have been using it I have gotten lots of things that were suppose to auto launch. These things have hit my friends that use outlook or other html browsers.

I just sit back and read, if its in html format only I just delete it. I used to do that to my friends e-mails. I told him if he wants me to read his e-mails send them in text only or text and html format. He finally did after about 5 important messages to me that I never read.

Setting up your e-mail browser so that it don't auto launch crap is the first step in protection again e-mails like this. The second is to not launch anything that is sent to you from any company that is saying its a patch for their program.

Companies NEVER send out stuff like that. They will however send a link to download the patch off of their home page but only if you sent them an e-mail asking for help with the problem.

So if you get an e-mail saying download this patch to fix such and such a problem... DON'T!
FuzzyShoting,Oct 5 2004, 08:57 AM Wrote:There is a virus going around that will when its run crash the comp and result in that you wont be able to boot windows.
Its called SP2B).
LOL
Miagi,Oct 5 2004, 06:43 PM Wrote:
FuzzyShoting,Oct 5 2004, 08:57 AM Wrote:There is a virus going around that will when its run crash the comp and result in that you wont be able to boot windows.
Its called SP2B).
speaking of which does anyone know why two similar setups, one with sp2 one without, may behave like this: -

1. cant read webmail on sp2 comp
2. cant reply in forums on sp2 comp
3. cant use chat to an sp2 engineer link on ms website... on sp2 comp...

also various other interesting bugs, including not being able to dl windows updates...
All I can say is that its because SP2 has lots of problem, or at least lots of people are having lots of problems with it.

If I had a second computer to test it on I would, but I don't.
I installed sp2 and then reinstalled it and seems to be working fine for me now...:blink:
I've had SP2 for a few weeks now and have had 0 problems with it.
When I had sp2 and went to reinstall it, it killed my pc. Hence the virus joke. I couldn't start, it would just keep booting to a blue screen error and restarting. Recovery console didn't work because my password wasn't being recognized. Reformat fixed everything.

I would get it again, but all I want is all the IE updates.