VadaVaka

Full Version: Arcade Kit Seller Applies for MAME Trademark
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok this one you are really not going to believe.

http://games.slashdot.org/games/05/02/21/0...3&tid=17&tid=10

Quote:An anonymous reader submits Zophar's Domain is reporting that the CEO of commerical multi-arcade kit seller Ultracade has applied to trademark  the name and logo of the ubiquitous open-source multi-arcade emulator MAME and is planning to sue MAME's authors.

Ok so bascially what this guy is going to do is, get a trademark on the name and logo of something that has been out in the public for over 8 years already and sue them for trademark infringment.

Is this even legal to start with? I thought that people owned what ever they created even if they don't copyright it.

If this is legal then I think we better start protecting EVERYTHING or else people will try doing this, flooding the already over worked courts and people will get rich off something even though they had nothing to do with it.

This does remind me of the time that someone trying to copyright the color red... or was it blue. Either way I can't see how this would even be allowed.