VadaVaka

Full Version: My trip to Blockbuster
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We went to rent a game for Joshs new Xbox at Blockbuster and noticed a sign saying "for only 14.99 you can get a pass to play as many games as you wish for a one month period" so we went to the counter to find out more and to go ahead and buy it, the guy at the counter says that he needs to swipe eather a debit card or a credit card in order to get the game card, I told him that I am, "and have been for a long time" a member there...so he says that will work and pulls up my account, he finds that they dont have a credit card for my account either and insists that in order for us to get the game card we must give him a credit card, at this point I am wondering aloud " you will rent me the game on my account, but if I want to take part in your sales pitch I must give you a credit card before I am allowed to rent the game" and he said thats right. So I turned to Josh and ask him if he wants to go up to Family Video and see what kind of deals they have?, and he says sure.....so we leave Blockbuster without renting a game and without buying the 14.99 deal and go to Family Video and rent a game.

Now I want some feed back here, does this seem a little odd? why would they rent a game to me on my account with out a credit card but "just have to have" a credit card in order for me to buy the month special card?

I dont know, but I can tell you this, Family Video is two buildings up from Blockbuster and they have a bigger selection of video games then Blockbuster, at the same or sometimes lower prices, so I guess I will be using them from now on.
ya that really sucked
:(
Interesting. First off, its always good to be a bit hesitant when giving out credit card info, so good move on that. If you have other blockbusters in the area, I would ask them about it, or go to the blockbuster website. Chances are if something is up it will probably be that particular employee. A large chain like blockbuster is going to want to risk credit card fraud, so if no other blockbusters ask for your credit card info, i would make a complaint to head office.

If you are worried about someone getting your credit card info it can happen quite easily. Gas stations are incredibly common for it. There's almost no security so people can put things in the credit card readers and get information to create replica's. In resturants make sure the credit card doesnt leave your sight, because you can get machines that are small, cheap and fast (much like the red light district) to get your info.

You can try putting it on debit as well, because its protected by a PIN.
it wasnt really the worry about the Card getting stolen, the fact is I dont have one...the wife keeps it so it wasnt an option to give it to him in the first place, just pisses me off that he will rent it to me one way without a card but if I wanted to do it the other way I had to have the card. just dosent make sense to me :wacko:
They want the credit card so when the month is up, they can auto charge you up another month. Thus adding another monthly charge to your bill. Which these days ppl have too many monthly payments.
yeah it is the latest thing with blockbuster, the "no more late fees" ploy
you buy the video if you are late returning it and then they charge you a restocking charge if you decide you dont want it...

they want to make sure you return the games and if you dont then they charge your credit card the cost of the game
One of my friends told me that if the late fees added up to more then the price of the game or movie then you paid a $10 restocking fee. I dont know how reliable this info is considering he doesnt work at a blockbuster.

Personally if we have that deal up here, I'm prolly gonna get it for the summer.
Its parabably just an insurance that you are going to return the game.
Its like when u rent a Playstation or X-box they want some sort of insurance or a deposit on the machine.

But, all in all i wouldn't give my credit card number to anyone. especially with all the fraud going on these days.

Well unless I get sold for some rocken chopp'n knives on an infomercial. :P
[CAKE Wrote:anonymity,Mar 3 2005, 03:53 PM] In resturants make sure the credit card doesnt leave your sight, because you can get machines that are small, cheap and fast (much like the red light district) to get your info.
lol... nice one.
"so what were you doing in the blockbuster to start with if you new the other guy was cheaper with better service. makes me want ot go hmmm.
credit cards are an insurance. if you can't pay, they'll take money from the credit card place and let that place deal with the cost. also, as for the late fee deal... if you don't return the game or movie or whatever within a week (i think) they will charge you the full price for the movie or game. that's the info i've gathered any3ways (from un-reliable sources/ friends that i dunno if they're making this up or read/saw it somewhere).....
Jabba I should have said "I noticed the big ass sign in front of blockbuster that said all the games you want for 14.99" thats why we went to blockbuster, family video doesnt have that deal, but you can rent somewhere close to 10 games for X box there for 2.50 for 7 days which IS better then Blockbuster. I would also point out that even if Family video wasnt as cheap or cheaper I would still go there because when someone pisses me off I try not to give them any of my money....its my only form of protest.