VadaVaka

Full Version: What would you do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I work in a local coffee shop where our main customer base is street people, transients, a few good regulars, and some local politicians. We make great coffee (we roast it fresh there), and we make decent business, but anyone who knows us would know that the owners are modest people, not wealthy or anything.

so to the point, a couple nights ago, while i was closing out my register, after the doors are locked and everything else is ready to go but the trash, a guy walks up to me and says he has a gun. So, i let him take the contents of the register (he gets away with $185), and Billy, my closing partner, walks up behind the guy, not realizing what's going on. I tell Billy to step back and let the guy go, but since then, we've both been confused: did we do the right thing? The guy was about my hieght, and there was only one of him and two of us, so would it have been better to just attack the guy? He said he was armed, but i doubt he was. Nobody was hurt, fortunately, and i don't mean to take the situation so lightly, but does the fact that we did nothing justify what this guy did?

What would you guys have done?:mellow:
what i have been trained to do (when i worked at a gas station)
is not to try anything.... give him what he wants...
try to remember exactly what he said what he was dressed in, and what exactly happened.....
if he says he has a gun.... believe that he does.... you dont wanna lose your life for $185
its not worth it.....

and after he leaves contact police immidiatly.....
and look for a licence plate if possible... and any witnesses.....
well In my opinion, you did the right thing, the owners should have insurance to take care of the loss, and also what fritolay has always told us "because frito drivers get robbed often" is that it isnt our money its fritos and they do not want us to try and save it, if a robber wants it then give it to them, the only thing they ask is that we get a very good discription of the guy to give to the police.

It just a good thing you didnt get hurt, because that would be a bad thing for you and your boss. in the end your boss would have to pay out a lot more "for insurance" then just the money that was in the register.

Good job staying cool and not doing anything crazy and getting yourself hurt :thumb:
What a scary experience. I agree with others you did exactly what all businesses train you to do and I am sure the owners feel the same way. If you think they feel badly about the robbery just imagine how bad they would feel if one of you did get hurt.
It is amazing that you could maintain a calmness that didn’t set the robber off, it will create sort of a silent bond between you and Billy, you two are doing the best thing you can by talking it out

Did you do the right thing? HELL YEAH
Would it have been better to attack the guy? Never
Like scary said, your life is more valuable than anything he could have taken
Not sure what you mean by "justify" what he did
I believe you are a pacifist by nature and the dilemma you are going through right now would be 10 fold if you had of actually tried to stop him regardless if you succeeded or failed
What would I have done? jeeze that is something I dont think any of us really knows until it happens...but I am sure afterwards I would have cried with the adrenalin release

glad you are safe
Due to me knowing how i react with adrenaline and anger.... umm... stuff... would have... maybe happened.... But if i had a non-adrenaline situation like that... i would have done the same thing... guess i need to control my anger a bit more:P
Yeah im going to have to agree with grits on this one, I work at a deli that has a walk in freezer. We are all trained to run into the freezer lock our self’s in and hit the panic button if someone tries to rob the place. hehe so the only employee that would be out of the freezer is the one that the robber is talking to :0
glad everyone was ok. I think you made the right choice.
you did the right thing, no amount of money is worth risking your life over. Even though I pack at my shop, in the situation described, I'd give them the money as well and let them escape. I'd like to think I'd only open fire on anyone is if they were trying to kidnap me or take my life. I mostly worry about my employees getting hurt or kidnapped since there sometimes is only one of them by theirselves for a few hours in the early morning. Sounds bizarre, but if anything like that did happen, I'd hope I was the only one there at the time.
Quote:does the fact that we did nothing justify what this guy did?

Nothing really justifies what he did. Threatening a humble coffeeshop worker to get a couple hundred bucks, and if worse came to worse possibly even killed the employee. Personally I would've just handed him the money and caught a good description and license plate (if he was in a car).