VadaVaka

Full Version: new video card
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
not sure how to do the settings for best use, I got a Gforce 4 mx 440 but it does'nt seem to be much better then my old card which was a sony 200 or something like that, the reason why I ask is because i played rico forever with the default setting and come to find out there was OPEN GL and i didnt know it but it made the game so much easier, so if I am missing something I would like for someone to tell me what I should do and how to make it better.

frito
Different people will say different things Frit. I was using Open GL back in the Windows NT 4 days and it always kicked the hell out of the alternatives for Quake II. I have used Direct 3D and GL side by side for Windows 2000 and XP and I personally think the graphics are crisper and cleaner with GL settings for Half-Life and Quake 3. With a newer card like the one you got, just try the GL setting and take the resolution all the way up to max on your game settings. I bet you will like it alot. Now I open it up for the debates.
not much debate here...i played on direct3D settings in hl for about a few weeks...i sort of lived w/ the "stuttering" lag and such (this was all sp mind you)...i also had hl set in the mode below 640x480 which, btw, my card dosn't even support...so i had a ton of software rendering going on as well...it was hell. well, i got a clue and switched my video mode to OpenGL and 640x480 res. and it's much better.

my video card truly is antiquated (nvidia Riva TNT)...not much i can do about that until i buy a new one.
Also Frito I don't rememer which Geforce 4 it is ..but one of them was pretty much a geforce 3..so yeh..but I have a geforce 3 and its fine..but also since hl is so old and all its mods are based off the same engine its not like the graphics would be better...like lots of video games dont even challenge their vid cards..just becayse the game sux..and sry but the hl engine doesnt have that great of graphics..
i wish nvidia didnt screw the fx's up so much. they use like the same core processor as the ti, but are clocked so low that they are like 2 generations slower.
Hey CK...I've got the same card. Trust me.....go with the GL settings. I think, if I remember correctly that I'm running my Half-Life at 1600x1200 rez with GL on my 21" monitor. It looks dazzling.
sage_4,Aug 4 2003, 06:10 PM Wrote:i wish nvidia didnt screw the fx's up so much. they use like the same core processor as the ti, but are clocked so low that they are like 2 generations slower.
Are you serious?? I was looking at the Geforce FX 5900 Ultra 256 MB...and it is really good....supposivly nvidia and ati are neck and neck for whos better..
damnit, i always do that. I MEANT MX. sorry, im a dummy. although as far as the fx's go, i think its only worth it if you go all the way. the top cards of each, the 9800 and the 5900 are like 15 points away from eachother in 3d mark. the only things to consider are 1: price and 2: the fact that ati has never had an extremely stable driver system, while nvidia still has the solid detonators.
I've always loved nvidia ..yeh I'm goin with the FX5900 Ultra 256 mb...
Quick what are your comp specs?
Right now I'm runnin on a p4 1.7 ghz..256mb (rambus)...gefroce 3...60gb HD...hmmm do I put anythin else in as my specs?
But IF I upgrade this it would be a 2.6ghz..1 gig (rambus...geforce fx 5900 256mb..60gb HD...but we are puttin in a huge ass gameroom onto the house..and we would have a comp in there..but my parents dont want to have to bein doin like work on comp as me and friends are in there screamin at the xbox and stuff..so they might take the orginal and leave it in the study for them..and then I get a brand new alienware ...that is what I'm really hopin for..:D
That would be a nice setup. I would get something a bit bigger than a 60gb HD in your new one though if you can.
Anyone knowing if a Hp Pavillion XH545 laptop has any upgrade abilities before I go and check.
i dont deal with laptops myself. a little too proprietary.
Nah I don't need the space...I only use bout 20 on my 60...