VadaVaka

Full Version: DSL connection
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My ISP was TSS.net: 295 kbps download/ 301 kbps upload for $75 a month my old ping at VADS was 50-70 and GRITS 24/7 was 100

and then today I switched to Qwest: 547 kbps download/ 220 kbps upload for $35 a month my new ping at VADS was 365-500 and GRITS 24/7 was 147

On one hand I'm saving $40 a month, on the other, my ping for games is terrible. I didn't realize upload speed had so much to do with your ping :/

Web surfing seems to be about the same, the Qwest maybe a little slower even. I downloaded some songs and the Qwest seemed faster on that. Big deal, I can't even do that anymore without getting sued! :/

I did hook up my new Qwest dsl today, but I didn't cancel my TSS.net service yet. I'll probably end up keeping the Qwest and telling the hi-way robbers to blow me cause $75 is way too high for DSL unless you're getting 1 mbps of pipe. Just curious to know which one you'd choose

btw, these two ISP's are my only two options for my area, until the beginning of next year when Comcast is supposedly bringing 1.5 up and down mbps cable internet here. Even when they come, should I switch? I've heard weird things about cable and dsl, so I don't know...
here's a copy of my report
well I just called TSS.net and they explained a little to me about why TSS is better for gaming than Qwest. So I understand it a little better now. TSS has a fixed IP and Qwest doesn't. They even are willing to go down a little on the price...320 up and down for $59 per month or 512 up and down for $69 a month, which beats 300 up and down for $75 a month (what they've been charging me for the past year and a half. After thinking about it, I think I'll be cheap for now and get the Qwest cause I feel TSS has been ripping me off when they could have brought the price down initially. :angry:
I currently switched to DSL, and I must say that I'm extremely disappointed. The speeds go from very fast to very slow like a yo-yo every few minutes, and that's the reason why I have stopped playing any Half-Life ever since I got it, it's impossible to play.
Magoo, what were you using before?
I was using cable, which may explain why some of the wiring is screwed up.
well cable is pretty iffy, when i had it, it would go down for days, so we got bell's dsl, works fine for us.
i don't really think that you can say which is better: cable or dsl.

mainly because it depends on the provider. if the provider sux, yeah...your connection is going to suck regardless of the medium. i have cable and have had no major problems.

likewise with my UK DSL... though there's no official uptime requirements as part of the contracts :/
Actually, Bell High Speed which is what I have is supposed to be really good, especially in my city. I think we need to replace some of our telephone wiring, because it's really old and I trip over it a lot. :lol:
i have comcast cable. I'd complain about it, but the dsl provider here (verison dsl) sux worse. Which doesn't help the cable provider since they run everyone's connections through a big network, so the more people with cable the slower it gets.... (fridays, saturdays, and sundays can be horrible to my connection)

PuNkGirL,Sep 25 2003, 04:03 PM Wrote:i have comcast cable. I'd complain about it, but the dsl provider here (verison dsl) sux worse. Which doesn't help the cable provider since they run everyone's connections through a big network, so the more people with cable the slower it gets.... (fridays, saturdays, and sundays can be horrible to my connection)
Verizon themselves suck as an ISP and recently took steps that broke DNS :/ They are supposed to be in charge the main DNS servers (I think) and if you don't find a domain as expected it redirects you to one of their own search pages... which is crap because that means that things will never resolve but rather always turn out to be their server if misspelt... :/