VadaVaka

Full Version: The time draws near
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok it's payday again...that means this weekend I am going to purchase my RAM and a couple of hard drives....probably 1200GB/2 80GB if the 120GB are out of my price range because I definitely want two. and 4GB of memory...memory tends to be cheap so...might as well.
I picked up some arctic silver while I was in PHX, the FRY's Electronics store is amazing...it is huge and even had my mobo on display. I picked up a case fan just because it caught my eye....and I had an urge to buy something more than a tube of thermal compound ....wish me luck
let me know if you have any suggestions...
Quote:the FRY's Electronics store is amazing

We have two of those in the valley, it's THE computer store. What theme does your Fry's have? The ones here are "Mars Attacks!" and "Alice in Wonderland". Anyway, back on topic, I would suggest getting lotsa cooling power, maybe even some fans for your HDs and one of those fan systems that let air in one way, and out another, it also comes with a front pannel to control fan speeds (this system is $20 at fry's, significantly cooled down my system's temperature).
If you can't affored both 120 gig drives at once, get them one at a time. And while I can't put 4 gigs of ram in my system I will still be drooling :D

Ya 2 or 3 case fans. I have one over each of my hard drives to keep them cool and one under my video card (it don't have a fan itself). Its great to have so much cooling in my system.
and when your all done, donate it to [CAKE] so we can have a dedicated server :lol: anyway, needless to say you wont have problems running winamp and rico.
With all those fans you might want to invest in some suitable ear plugs ;-)

Actually I have 5 fans in my PC, a super quiet CPU cooler and the others are standard fans. One has blue LED's shining from it, although you can't really see it as I haven't got a windowed case :-(
There's lots of cool hardware with lights and flashy gizmos at Fry's, when I get a good job and enough money, I'm going to rice up my computer with neon lights and a see-through case pannel.
_Acid_Head_,Oct 1 2003, 01:42 PM Wrote:
Quote:the FRY's Electronics store is amazing

Anyway, back on topic, I would suggest getting lotsa cooling power, maybe even some fans for your HDs and one of those fan systems that let air in one way, and out another, it also comes with a front pannel to control fan speeds (this system is $20 at fry's, significantly cooled down my system's temperature).
My friend has 7 FANS in his..when he starts it up sounds like a it could take the whole house up with it..Grits be brave..and if it doesn't work the first time..just go over all your steps again..usually you will miss somethin..also why is it so good to have 2 HD? and are you serious 4Gigs of RAM?!?!?I wish I had a big paycheck likes yours to afford that..
What type of memory are you getting? Most memory tends to be cheap I wouldn't say all. I'm really behind the times I thought PC's could only go to 2 GB Ram max right now. I know there are 1GB sticks of Ram but those are anything but cheap. Gook Luck with your new PC.
Quote:and are you serious 4Gigs of RAM?!?!?

The UO server I used to moderate had 12 gigs, that's a top of the line motherboard, though (dual xeon 3.2ghz processors, etc.).
_Acid_Head_,Oct 1 2003, 09:31 PM Wrote:rice up my computer with neon lights and a see-through case pannel.
LOL. Anyway, I think you'll do just fine Grits, that's some serious hardware. Technology is moving way too fast nowadays... What was it, 2 or 3 years ago when having a 1.2 ghz Athlon was state of the art?
wow this is great thanks for all of the responses...acid_head, I didnt notice a theme...it sort of had some cave man looking stuff over the doors I will have to ask what the theme is I just headed to the computer components part and got lost
I didn't see the cooling system but I will definitely look into it, I plan on at least 6 fans..this one is suppose to be "silent"
Love your suggestion GB...guess I can always 'add' a second hard drive....I was thinking a 'matched set' but a set can be bought at different times and one 120 GB should be a nice start ;)at least I will have room for 'steam' now
I have a see through side panel so I am doing the 'hokey' color and lights thing the fan I picked up has purple neon, I guess I will stick to 'blue' tones...don't want too many different colors...that just gets to be 'tacky' :wacko: my board is day-glow orange..day-glow is a hippy term for 'neon' because..it 'glows' in the day light and then it becomes even more brilliant in 'black light'...we use to have paint with those properties and I even knew a guy who painted his jeans with it....but that is another story...thanks again for the input I will update you on what I actually purchase

btw anon's advice is the only one I ignored:P
fine then dont buy your way into [CAKE] <_< :P

I have just one thing to say.... damn girl you have WAY too much money to spend... send it me!