VadaVaka

Full Version: Top 3 Most Influential Albums In Your Life
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If you have two albums from the same band that you simply can't pick one of, just do what I do. =D Or something similar.

Tool - a mixture of some of Lateralus and some of Aenima(Especially Eulogy, H, **46&2**, and a couple of others)
~ Tool's more or less the reason I ever started listening to music in the first place. A couple of months before Lateralus hit me like a wave I was witnessing what I personally thought/think was/is musical genius. Once Maynard got away from the crazy lyrics like Prison Sex, etc a shroud was lifted from my uncertainty about music.

Andy Timmons - That Was Then, This is Now
~ I first learned about Timmons when Blake introduced me to Electric Gypsy a good while back. Tool brought dimension into my musical world, but Andy brought the beauty and style of instrumentalism that was lacking in all of the notes that circled my head day in and day out. Little did I know my first concert experience would be ATB's recent performance in Austin. Afterwards, Mr. Awesome Bassist Mike sold me TWTTIN and I don't listen to music the same way anymore. I had listened to Satch, Johnson, JP, and others before but ATB rocked my world.

Casting Crowns - Casting Crowns
~ My brother got this cd as a gift a while back and I popped it into the player one day expecting to hear just another God rock band. Before I was simply mingled with musical notes, but listening to this cd changed the experience of listening to music into pure, spiritual ecstacy. I didn't quite understand it until I was driving home one day and my singing started to break into unexpected weeping.
(PIX, you gotta listen to Casting Crowns - Voice of Truth . Trust me. B) )
Zombies =P
TOOL: Lateralus agreed... seeing them live when this album was released was actually more infuential to me that the album its self. But the show opened my ears and eyes to the album. (to be honest, the band)

Sublime: 40oz to Freedom those that know, know. Those that do not, your loss. This album is top notch.

Beastie Boys: Check Your Head. Nuff said.

Honorable mentions.
Pink Floyd: Any and all, the whole discography.
Guns and Roses: Apetite for Destruction.
Metallica: Master of Puppets and the black album.
Ice Cube: Death Certificate.

Okay I could have 100 honorable mentions, I will stop.
But hell I have over 400 cd's, to me they are all influential! Okay, maybe not my Gerrardo CD, but even Rico Suave was fly.

Later all,
Beastie
well... what do you mean by influential?
the ones that touched us mentaly?
or just favourites?

oh well.... i would have to say.....

Rage against the machine: Evil empire
Korn: Follow the leader
Pink Floyd: Dare side of the moon
Hmm.... All rage for me... all Pearl Jam.... so many more.... I can't name em all. Incubus... srv hendrix rush monster magnet.... too many.
I love hearing the pearl jam, pink floyd, and sublime responces from you guys... you all rock!:urock:

for me

1. Pink Floyd- The Wall

2. Pearl Jam- Yield

3. Sublime- tied between 40 oz. to Freedom and Sublime

excellent topic btw!

for those others who picked other bands, you rock too, just not as hard.... :boohoo:
lotsa thinknig involved on this one, But I think i've sorta narrowed it down. Note: These bands are not necissarily influential to my personal life or music alone, they may influence one, the other, or both.

Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
They were pretty much one of the first bands that I really got into, so naturally Mr. Reznor is greatly influential for me. And some of it will most likely be sticking around for a long while if not for the rest of my life. He created his own sound, created a new genre and with that he built a record company. His ambition and music combined influence how I treat my mine. The Fragile to me is the best. NIN has only gotten better with time and can't wait to see what's in store for the future.

Tool - Ænima
Again, one of my originals. They're an all around good band. I belive SoulEvan said it best in his post.

lastly, but not least. and believe me these are in no specific order.

Radiohead - Amnesiac
Unbelievable. Some people may hate the way they sound, I know a lot who dislike their whimsy, crazy, creepy sound. but why? They have along with the other bands shaped and influenced my music to be a sound of it's own. Amnesiac is an awesome album, the lyrics/ guitar/ drums/ synth/ bass. all of it. the way it comes together is just amazing.

I'm gonna have to pull a beastie with honorable mentions, because there are far more bands influencing me than those 3:
Pink FLoyd - Dark Side of the Moon (although all of it is good)
Incubus - Make yourself (gotta include incubus. all of their albums are awesome)
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream ( again, all albums good, notice a pattern anyone?)
A Perfect Circle - Thriteenth Step
Filter, Kyuss, Led Zepplin, The Melvins, Primus (go les claypool!), Mudvayne, Monster Magnet, Queens of the Stone Age, Mars Volta, Deftones, King Crimson. . . . I can go on for all too long so I'll stop there.
mm Mudvayne. LD 50 has got to be one of my three. They opened up heavy music for me.
Dredg, el cieco, not sure why, but they push my insturmental standards higher.

Dont want to limit myself to just 3 and i cant decide which other one to choose. Switched maybe or sevendust, or snot.
The internet. 10 gigs of music on this comp, 5 from 56k :x. Music is truly a gift from god. I listen to everything I can, then wire my comp through the ol' marshall and play along. Must agree ff about radiohead, they are so creative. I have all their stuff in mp3s, but since I liked em, I bought 4 of their albums so far.

If you havent heard frog brigade yet freefall, check that stuff out.

Took the little one to a pj concert last summer. His first. They put on an awesome show as always.
Radiohead is completely awesome. A buddy and I were were playing/singing the overplayed Creep at school today. lol. Good responses guys. Good responses.
Rabbit in your Headlights - Radiohead and DJ Shadow. . .it was done for the UNKLE project and is an awesome song. ( just had to say that. quick! back to all music before we just talk about radiohead! )
Yes indeed the pearl jam concert was the best thing ever... my fav. part was when I called out a song and they played it:lol::lol::lol::lol: I was happy as...... I can't express it.
paranoid android... great song.
I fell in love with the way Metallica sang a LONG time ago now they sing like crap to me but there old stuff is always what I have loved and will listen to and of course Type O negative mmmmm kind of like poetry and OHHH can't explain and my Tristania:)
you see what rehab does to music!!
I have the rabbit in headlights video if you want it. Man its awesome.
Reciprocity,May 13 2004, 09:55 AM Wrote:I have the rabbit in headlights video if you want it. Man its awesome.
:odo . .you know. . just how long I looked. and never found it. all i have is word of what it is about. can you pleeaassseee post it or something!?
ill send you it through irc, or aim or something.
in no particular order
nine inch nails- the fragile
birght eyes- fevers and mirrors
led zeppelin - houses of the holy

honorable mentions:
-anything by ben gibbard (any Postal Service or Deathcab for Cutie, that is)
-sure, pink floyd is great
-almost anything else on the Saddle Creek record label (Cursive, the Good Life, Azure Ray, Desaparecidos, Sorry About Dresden, or the Faint).
-most Hendrix (he didn't do very good, comprehensive albums)
-the Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin
-The White Stripes - White Blood Cells
-Cat Power - Myra Lee
-Bjork - Homogenic
-The Doors - The Doors
-Elbow - Cast of Thousands
-others.
This is gonna sound a little bit lightweight, but nvm....

Nirvana - nevermind
Picture a twelve year old boy struggling along with the sort of music you hear on corporate radio, you know, lighthouse family, westlife and all that **** (insert swearword of choice). Picture the effect that album had on the poor child, and i still enjoy listening to it.

Less Than Jake - goodbye blue and white
The album that brought me out of the idea that all good music had to be depressive. Takes a bit of getting used to, and im still the only one on the floor in the rock club everytime i get the dj dude to play scott farcas, but who cares, this is skapunk.

Hombres Impossibles - Hombres Impossibles
Who said that a band sucks just because itll never make it big. This band sounds like eary QOTSA with a fair bit of style and a psychotic drummer, but their sound is too old for someone to seriously take it on, so the continue their gigs for roughly a hundred random ppls at a time. Altho didnt affect music tastes it was a valuble object lesson.

Cant think of another album that had quite such a massive effect on my music tastes. There must be a hundred honorable mentions tho.... There always are