VadaVaka

Full Version: Spawn Protection
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
"Spawn protection needed, too many people spawn killing so people need to be able to have 2 to 3 seconds to move before a disc can knock them off the pod."

Has anyone noticed if there is a difference in being able to kill someone who is spawning from previously dying from decap vs. push/falling? Have been looking at Rico spawn code and there seems to be a built-in delay for "falling" deaths (probably the falling routine) but not one for decaps? Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,

desNotes
I cant say i have noticed that falling delay from experiance. I was playing HLDM the other day on the *HDK* server, and they have a spawn protection plugin. I cant remember if the protection wears off after a couple of seconds, or if it wears off when you move. I know it disables your fire key so you cant shoot ppl who cant shoot you.
I tried that plugin on Rico DM with funny, but non-productive, results. Essentially when a player came into the server it would work fine but after awhile a player would fall and stay down at the bottom of the map, similar to having godmode thrust upon them. In HLDM, the spawn protection probably uses godmode to protect players but that is not really needed in rico.

We should do some tests and see if there is a difference between decap and falling...also I will try a test of adding say 10 seconds to spawn protection and to verify I am playing with the right part of the code.
you could test it on your server easy des, the bots on your server are spawn killing fools.
There is a window to fall and still award a point to your attacker, after being hit with a push, but that's the only difference that's apparent.

::PostScript::
I have no idea how one would do this, but make it impossible for players to collide with one who is still protected, or pick up powerups while protected. This would be applicable to arena as well (DM would need a no-shooting thing added). One problem I see with this, however, is what to do when a player becomes tangible again with somebody else in them.
Stack option with those two players perhaps?
I mean that since they can move, they can be inside other players when they become solid. Stacking won't help there.
I have made some timing mods to the dll and put it on my server. Senior and Junior admins have the same access to my server as GRITS' servers, although I am using an older version of AdminMod and there some things that do not work until I upgrade.

Anyway, let me know if spawn killing changes at all and when spawning if there is any delay in being able to kill someone.

thanks,

desNotes

PS Feel free to kick bot(s) is needed...same as kicking a player
Haven't noticed any change.

If it only delays the time you re-spawn, you could still get spawn killed?

I can't see any other way for spawn protection but for a timed god mode that deactivates when a key is pressed.

I think hullu's spawn protection wasn't good because of the 'facing wall protection'. Timing when god mode wore off was obviously too long.
In ricochet a disk can be identified as 'friendly' and therefore pass through you...I was trying to use that instead of the godmode which is needed for other games. I haven't noticed a big change and it may be just me but it seems that spawn killing is down from the bots.
You sure you fixed the 'spawn kill' side of it? They may have just decided to behave after the 15 minutes of yelling and threatening to ban them that I did the other day:D
seriously, there was more than a couple times that I actually spawned in and they "missed" me, but also quite a few times I spawned in and they ignored me even if they were on the same pad. I will pay closer attention next time.