VadaVaka

Full Version: Music Recommendations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey everyone. I thought it would be nice if people could share some music ideas with everyone. It should be something that most people do not know of. Try to leave a description with the band and or album. Here's one of mine:

The Quill - Swedish hard rock type band. Vocalist is sometimes compared to Chris Cornell of Soundgarden but different. A good album to get is the self-titled album from 1995, but even up to their newest (Hooray, it's a deathtrap!) is great. Lots of great guitar lines for you musicians out there and some good soloing too. PM me with any questions or if you want a sample.
Chris Cornell is now of Audioslave!:)
True...but his voice is more remniscient of his Soundgarden days....when he was good. :-)
Pearl Jam - Freakin awesome... thats all you need...

Sevendust - A fairly heavy band with some intresting vocals

Clutch - Fairly heavy, southern rock.
The Sevendust I would recommend is anything before their album Animosity, which they themselves described as being a change in style brought on by the popularity of "Angel's Son". Very 'radio friendly*' now, if that helps anybody decide

These are the bands that haven't let me down in terms of re-listenability:

Mudvayne
The quintessential metalcore: high energy, heavy, and complex riffs without being noise. Kill I Oughta (get The Beginning of All Things to End, it's a remastered version), LD 50, and The End of All Things to Come (albums) are amazing (especially LD 50).

Pitchshifter
The album www.pitchshifter.com is truly awesome, and I would highly recommend finding it somehow.

Crossbreed
Albums .01 and Synthetic Division are being sought by me, but their latest I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole.

Earthtone9
I can get you their entire discography if you so wish, since I own all their CDs (and you're not going to find any on P2P). Best indie band ever, hands down. This is one of the only two bands in the universe that didn't suck after mellowing (didn't survive it though; 'creative differences' :\ ).

The Blueprint
After et9 broke up, the lead and somebody else moved on to this band. Different sound, and entirely worth the listen. I can't find anything but the sample tracks on their site (full songs, don't worry), thought it still amounts to 9 songs.

Dredg
The only other band that didn't suck after mellowing. Pleasing to pretty much anybody, so highly recommended.

Snot
Their remarkably tragic and abbreviated existance (the lead died in a car crash on his way to a recording session for a second album) moved their friends to record an album in tribute to the lead--which is where Sevendust's "Angel's Son" came from--which I don't have, so I can't vouch for. Their first album, however, is amazing and definately worth seeking out.

I won't describe any more, since this post is really long now, but here are the names: Machine Head (potentially the only modern metal band that hasn't changed over the course of their existence), Switched, and Mindless Self Indulgence.

*I don't consider "radio friendly" an insult, just a style decription: mixed with an emphasis on vocals and frequencies which play clearly on average sound systems (ie. radios), simple melody so radios don't overdrive or clip, template structure so success is more probable (label issue), etc. Some people like that.
You forgot Ratatat, kindof techno. Im not realy sure how to describe it.
beatles......
Dimmu Borgir (> All:ghost:) | Black Metal
Windir | Black Metal
Eisregen | Black Metal
Eisblut | Black Metal
Apocalyptica | Metal played on celli:D
Therion | Great mix, Metal + Classical
System Of A Down | Alt. Rock
Die Apokalyptischen Reiter | Metal
Emperor | Black Metal
Corvus Corax | Medieval Rock
Anorexia Nervosa | Black Metal
Nightwish | Metal/Gothic?
... And Oceans | Black Metal
Lacrimas Profundere | Metal?
Rammstein | Hard Rock/Industrial?
In Flames | Metal
1349 | Black Metal
Sentenced | Gothic/Metal?
Blind Guardian | Metal | Medieval Touch/LOTR
Fantômas | err... Metal? | Really strange music:rolleyes:
Slayer | Thrash Metal
Naglfar | Black Metal
Judas Priest | Heavy Metal
Ewigheim | Electro-Metal or something | A bit strange^_^
Catamenia | Black Metal
etc..;)
sooo Nitro.....you like 'metal'?
Well I guess I'll be super right-wing and list all my favorites... god not one of YOU listed any of these in all of your lists...

Contemporary Instrumentalists:
- Jake Shimabukuro
- Andy Timmons
- Neil Zaza
- Joe Satriani
- Steve Vai

Contemporary Alt. Rock:
- Staind
- Fuel
- Finger 11
- Nickelback
- Submersed
- Incubus
- Switchfoot

Contemporary Fusion Rock:
- Linkin Park

Contemporary Prog. Rock:
- Tool
- Dream Theater
- A Perfect Circle
- James Labrie

Old School:

- Aerosmith
- The Beatles
- AC/DC
- Def Leppard
- Bon Jovi
- Tesla
- Van Halen
- Led Zeppelin
- The Who
- Pink Floyd
Quote:sooo Nitro.....you like 'metal'?
Is this a joke? If yes, I'm too stupid to understand it:P
I'm listening to a lot of fear factory right now. They are a fusion of industrial and metal. Some songs to check out, Linchpin, archetype, cyberwaste, edge chrusher and demanufacture.

I dont really know them well enough to recomend albums, but those are my favorite songs by them.

Edit: Also check out 36 crazyfists, I bought their last album a snow capped romance, its very good. Its numetal with a really unique sounding vocalist.

Edit2: Switched is also really good, alternative/metal and they have a new album coming out january first.
So I guess me, Nitro and Dragonlady are the metal experts.

PM me for some good metal/jazz/whatever else I have.
oh yeah I forgot.. Dragonforce is also a good band:rolleyes:
hmmm

2 things i have to say

Creed - Only band I've heard that had to refund an entire show because of the lead singer sucking so bad...

Nikelback - http://www.thewebshite.net/nickelback.htm (directlink safe, may be not safe stuff on website, used to be at least :/) need i say more?
Hmm.... Lets see, I listen to so many types of music.

Lets start with
Metal:
- Sepultura
- Pantera
- Megadeath
- Old Metallica (pre-Black Album)
- Life of Agony
- Nuclear Assault

Death Metal:
- Cancer
- Deicide
- Obituary
- Entombed

Hardcore/Punk
-The Sex Pistols
-Pennywise
-DRI
-Ripcordz
-Agnostic Front
-Green Day
-The Pogues

Moving on to the lighter stuff now.
-Sublime (punk, hip-hop, reggae)
-Bob Marley
-Pink Floyd
-Johnny Cash
-The Doors
-Half Pint
-Long Beach Dub Allstars

Hip-Hop/Rap
-EverLast
-Bones Thugs n Harmony
-Insane Clown Posse
-Lordz of Brooklyn
-KRS-ONE
-Sweat Shop Union
-Delinquent Habits
Ok guys...new rules.

First, you must respect what everyone else says. You might not like what everyone else has said, (I know I don't) but that doesn't mean you need to bash it.

Second, the reason I started this thread was to get some unknown and unheard of bands out for the community to listen to. Bands such as Creed or Green Day or anything that is considered "mainstream" (Something that is played regularly on radio stations that play new music) Should not be listed here because most of us have already heard of them. Try and post the best, most obscure band that you know. That way we can help these very talented bands get some exposure.

Thanks guys
Benders a decently obscure band...

SRV>vai:P
NITRO!,Oct 7 2005, 08:19 AM Wrote:
Quote:sooo Nitro.....you like 'metal'?
Is this a joke? If yes, I'm too stupid to understand it:P
sarcasm, about 90% of the bands you like are metal so I was teasing a bit, it seemed obvious that you like metal
I know, just asked for the fun of it:P
Avantasia - Metal
Dragonforce - Metal
Edguy - Metal
Epica - Gothic
Eternal tears of sorrow - Metal
Freedom call - Metal
Hammerfall - Metal
Nemesea - Metal
Pagan's mind - Metal
Rhapsody - Metal
Secret sphere - Metal/hard rock
Sonata arctica - Metal
Stratovarius - Metal
Thunderstone - Metal
Tristania - Gothic metal

Belgian bands:
dEUS - Rock
Ghinzu - Rock (could be mainstream:p)
Soulwax - Indie

I guess I like metal:lol:
I need to get ambitous and mix this thread up with my randomness of music :D
1. The band i cant remember the name of which mix metal and samba music. class.

2. HAYSEED DIXIES - you cant beat the ace of spades played in bluegrass style.

3. Sublime rock, whoever mentioned them. For a similar style consider catch-22.

4. Terrorvision - they dont exist any more but were a wonderful little 90s britpop band who make oasis sound like the ***I wouldve been stupid if I'd been swearing*** that they are.

5. Flogging Molly - all punk fans know them but nobody else does. Consider the concept of folk musc mixed with punk and the occasional IRAesque overture and you have the idea. Plus celtic dancing in a moshpit is great.

6. This is the point in these threads that I always mention capdown, so I thought I'd mention them again.

7. Firegarden - local band (to sheffield) who've done some bigger stuff and have a great live act. Metallike.

8. Electric eel shock - wierd japanese indie band who have a drummer who likes to play wearing nothing but a sock.

9. 65 days of static - wierd spaced out guitary stuff, I don't like their genre but they are good at what they do.

More wierd crossover / unknown bands when i think of them.
Ayreon. Album - Human Equation

Try mixing prog rock/metal with a concept album. A story based on a guy that is in an accident and is in a coma. He must deal with all of him problems in his head and each emotion is represented by a different vocalist. If you knwo of any of these bands, you'll be surprised but if not, he has taken tons of amazing singers from some great bands and put them all together.

James LaBrie - Dream Theater
Mikael Akerfeldt - Opeth
Devin Townsend - Strapping Young Lad/Devin Townsend
Devon Graves - Dead Soul Tribe
Magnus Ekwall - The Quill
Marcela Bovio - Elfonia
Heather Findlay - Mostly Autumn
Mike Baker - Shadow Gallery
Eric Clayton - Saviour Machine (Very deep operatic type voice. I wish I could sing like this)

And many others. I have this album so if you want a sample or something...just let me know!

The Evil Made Me Do It
sorry if some of these have already been posted

Queen ::: WONDERFUL WONDERFUL MUSIC

Megadeath ::: JUST AS GOOD

Alice in Chains ::: CLOSE BEHIND

Reggie and the Full Effect ::: an odd mixture of soft electronika rock and screamo

The Mars Volta ::: post-progressive rock ^.^

Minus the Bear ::: softer sounds for your fragile, virgin ears

Dave Rodgers ::: J-Pop primarily scored into Initial D

H.I.M. ::: Finnish electronika rock

Juno Reactor ::: tech

D.J. Onyx ::: pop tech

TOOL ::: INCREDIBLY GOOD MUSIC

older Avenged Sevenfold ::: bumpkin metal

Rammstein ::: beautiful German metal

Clit 45 ::: kickass hardcore punk

Lower Class Brats ::: more of that kickass punk stuff

Castlevania:Symphony of the Night OST ::: i'm at a loss for words...i guess not. LISTEN

Nobuo Uematsu ::: GENIUS! LISTEN! scored most of the Final Fantasy tower series with the exception of FFT, the Crystal Chronicle flops and I think a few more.
This is a test guys. just checking to see if it will upload and if you can download it
Annatar,Oct 12 2005, 06:59 AM Wrote:5. Flogging Molly - all punk fans know them but nobody else does. Consider the concept of folk musc mixed with punk and the occasional IRAesque overture and you have the idea. Plus celtic dancing in a moshpit is great.
I would hardly consider myself a punk fan and i greatly enjoy them.
<--- agrees with Abe on Tool... :-D

*I Hope... I Hope.... I Hope... Youuuuuu Choooooke!* (POOOOOKE!)
Squish,Nov 1 2005, 09:45 PM Wrote:
Annatar,Oct 12 2005, 06:59 AM Wrote:5. Flogging Molly - all punk fans know them but nobody else does. Consider the concept of folk musc mixed with punk and the occasional IRAesque overture and you have the idea. Plus celtic dancing in a moshpit is great.
I would hardly consider myself a punk fan and i greatly enjoy them.
Excellent. That beats the last piece of commentry i got on them, from the head chef at the place i used to work:-

"Its good, but I cant take the guy seriously cos he sounds like a leprechaun."

Oh. erm. Something to stay relevent to the thread. hmm. Who have i been listening to recently. Hmm, Ive already recommended capdown. hmm. yes. no. maybe. I dont know. Can you repeat the question?

No i dont particularly like that band. But I do like the skatalites and thus must recommend them.
Yeah i more all a person who listen to rap theres a few rock songs.

Bone Thugs N Harmony Natorious
Lil Jon- Get low
David Banner-Play
Breaking benjamin - Sooner Or Later
Dem Francise Boys -Red Tee, White tee
Crossfade -Cold
These are just some of the music i listen to not ganna carry into it.
Pages: 1 2