VadaVaka

Full Version: Elton John Gets Married
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:LONDON, England (CNN) -- Pop star Elton John and his partner David Furnish tied the knot on Wednesday in a star-studded event that capped the first week of civil partnership ceremonies in the United Kingdom.

The couple exchanged vows during a civil partnership ceremony at Windsor's town hall -- the Guildhall -- where Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles wed in April.

The couple emerged after the ceremony smiling, waving and mouthing "thank you" to onlookers, as an attendant threw rice at them.

They had said the ceremony inside would be low-key, with only John's mother and stepfather and Furnish's parents attending.

Hundreds of fans -- and crowds of photographers -- were gathered in the narrow streets of Windsor, 40 kilometers (25 miles) west of London, as the couple arrived in a black Rolls Royce on Wednesday morning.

The couple arrived at the Guildhall seven minutes early for their ceremony at 1100 GMT. Wearing dark suits, the pair posed on the terrace of the Guildhall and waved to fans between the columns away from the main glare of the media spotlight.

Elton John, 58, blew kisses to the crowd as his partner joined him briefly before going inside. The pair emerged smiling 45 minutes later.

Later in the day, the couple will throw a lavish star-studded party, costing an estimated $1.75 million, according to The Associated Press.

Two giant white tents have been erected in the grounds of the pop star's Windsor mansion for the party, which British tabloids say will be heated adequately to warm the hundreds of guests in scanty evening gowns.

In an interview in Attitude magazine in November, John said the Guildhall ceremony would be a small, private affair involving only himself and Furnish, 43, and their parents acting as witnesses.

"Out of respect for their (our parents') support, we want to just keep it small -- not to make a ballyhoo of the ceremony," he told the ###### lifestyle magazine.

"There will be a party somewhere, but the day will be very low key and we'll take our parents to lunch afterwards."

Guests at the couple's bachelor night on Monday included heavy metal rocker Ozzy Osbourne and his wife Sharon, model and actress Liz Hurley and musicians Bryan Adams, Gary Barlow and Kid Rock. (Full story)

Nearly 700 ###### couples in England and Wales were expected to go through the ceremony on Wednesday. Ceremonies were held earlier this week in Northern Ireland and Scotland.

Civil union ceremonies are seen as a watershed in the struggle for ###### rights in the UK.

The new law -- passed last year despite some opposition from parliament's unelected House of Lords -- allows civil ceremonies that will give same-sex couples the same social security, tax, pension and inheritance rights as married couples. (Partnership facts)

John and Furnish, who have been together for 12 years, acknowledged that their ceremony might have broader ramifications.

"As far as I'm concerned I've always considered myself committed to Elton and he's the person that I want to spend the rest of my life with. So in that sense I don't feel like the dynamic of our relationship is going to change," Furnish told Attitude magazine.

"But from a social standpoint, I think it's hugely significant. It is a major, major change. It is one of the defining issues of our times."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Music/12/2...lton/index.html

I suspect this will get turned into a debate sooo.

BAM!.

http://www.vadavaka.com/forums/index.php?a...st=0#entry48033
*starts off debate*

Congratulations elton