VadaVaka

Full Version: The cancer that's killing Vadavaka
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: world-of-warcraft-noob.jpg]
Lol :lol::lol::lol::lol:
Do we really need another thread on why no one is around or plays anything? The WoW thing is only a small part of it.

Very few seem to actually care to begin with. Plus no one seems to be making any suggestions last I looked.
' Wrote:Do we really need another thread on why no one is around or plays anything? The WoW thing is only a small part of it.

Very few seem to actually care to begin with. Plus no one seems to be making any suggestions last I looked.
For starters, wow IS the problem. The few of us not currently playing still chat in irc or ocaisonaly get on rico or xbl.
As far as a suggestion? Quit WoW. I have to suggest you find something else to do with your life? Have some actual human interaction. It just pisses me off that some dumb game has killed this community i used to love. I guess you think now the community IS in WoW, but it's not. We're all waiting in IRC for you all to come back and say you've given it up and are going to finaly have conversations with people again. There's what, 6 of you playing WoW? That's not even half of us. We all miss you, but you're all caught up in this imaginary world and so we still wait around. Slowly we diminish and less and less of us aren't commin and checking in anymore. You guys have a freaking community to run, you "admins", but we're not having community anymore. What we have is a divided, barely communicating, group of people who used to have something in common.

I miss you all, but I don't know how much longer I can wait around...
How is it the admins fault that people come an go? People play WoW, that's their prerogative, I used to play it, then it got boring so I quit. But instead of making a thread in the forums about how WoW is killing this community, what else can you do to bring us together? I had an idea of a rico tournament, can you out trump me on that?
WoW is the problem you say but you also say its only 6 people playing it. Obviously then it's NOT the problem.

This community started the slow down way before people started playing WoW thats a fact. We had alot of teenage members over the past few years that have graduated from high school and gone off to college or the military. As anybody already knows once you get out of HS gaming time shrinks due to various factors.

Another reason is that this community was based on a niche game mod that had 0 support from Valve. Mods alone tend to not have much support except the few that break out. We were behind the 8 ball from the get go and I think we did a good job dealing with those issues for a few years. Plus I think some people just got bored with Rico and moved on. If we were a community based on a popular game Battlefield, UT, Quake, etc. then yeah we would have no problem.

It's an over 5 year old mod of a 9 year old retail game so in that aspect you can't expect much today. Is it time to move on and pick another game? I think so.

What will it take to change things? It's not an easy answer if it can even be answered at this time. Part of the answer is we need a new game thats the obvious part. Getting to that point is the difficult part. Maybe a HL2 mod will pop up. Maybe it's time for people here to shell out $50 for a new retail game. I know what I will be playing this fall, but I can't force other people to play with me. Like I said yesterday though it's time for suggestions not blaming Grits, Miagi, or myself like you did.

It's up to the Admins to run the place and provide the services, but its up to the community to maintain it. Over the years we had tried differant games. Day of Defeat was run by a community member for a couple months. I personally ran a UT2004 server for a few months back in 04. I convinced Grits to dump the old HLDM server and change it to HL2DM. That was successful for around 6 or so months. You can ask a few people how much heart and soul I poured into that till it died out. Even Miagi added the arcade a few weeks ago to spur activity around here. That has worked in getting people to come around the forums a little more at least. There are more people who have contibuted over the years, but I am typing this as things cross my mind so my apologies if I left people out.

I think considering how Grits works almost every day it seems, Miagi now starting a new job, and myself who puts in a 60 hour work week for the first half of every year we "Admins" do a friggin decent job. Real life comes first then the internet/games stuff. To act like we are to blame for the way things are around here is despicable at best.

No one has a gun to your head if you want to leave though personally thats a dumb reason to. What is with the "I don't know how much longer I can wait around"? How does that solve anything but compound the problem I stated. You can be a part of multiple communities around the internet, but you make it sound like we are holding you hostage or something.
Ya... I was even working on a thing similar to x-box achievements...

I forget how it was going to work or if it was decided, but it was to try to stir some activity and competition into the community.

I have the scripts/website built for it too. It was like a ranking system. You would get x points for getting a certain achievement in each game through providing screenshots of proof. Like getting x kills or something. Then, whoever had the most points would keep the top rank for x amount of time...

We didn't launch it cause no one was really playing and we didn't want to "waste" our time on something that wasn't going to be a hit. THis was a few months ago lol.

I seriously loved ricochet. It just got boring when all the pro's left and I was left with spamming german players. It stopped being fun with no one to talk to or no one to have a gg with. I'm not playing any games at all really. Some here and there, but I'm not dedicated to much at the moment.
Sorry, i tend to lashout and talk bullshit. But I do wish it was better around here. I do by the way love how this thread has been replied to this many times:Pshowing you guys are around at least somewhat
' Wrote:Ya... I was even working on a thing similar to x-box achievements...

I forget how it was going to work or if it was decided, but it was to try to stir some activity and competition into the community.

I have the scripts/website built for it too. It was like a ranking system. You would get x points for getting a certain achievement in each game through providing screenshots of proof. Like getting x kills or something. Then, whoever had the most points would keep the top rank for x amount of time...

We didn't launch it cause no one was really playing and we didn't want to "waste" our time on something that wasn't going to be a hit. THis was a few months ago lol.

I seriously loved ricochet. It just got boring when all the pro's left and I was left with spamming german players. It stopped being fun with no one to talk to or no one to have a gg with. I'm not playing any games at all really. Some here and there, but I'm not dedicated to much at the moment.

ah..you used the same variable throughout.
So you get 10 points for 10 kills to be top rank for 10 amounts of time?

' Wrote:Sorry, i tend to lashout and talk bullshit. But I do wish it was better around here. I do by the way love how this thread has been replied to this many times:Pshowing you guys are around at least somewhat

Oh. Noosey Noosey....the best way to get more activity is to talk to people...
get them to stop by...either your real life friends or game friends.
Hey, vad's being killed by wow is no big thing, I've heard of it being unofficially cited in divorce cases.
' Wrote:ah..you used the same variable throughout.
So you get 10 points for 10 kills to be top rank for 10 amounts of time?

If I put the 'X' in the same sentence like that, then yes. Otherwise normal people would understand that X was being used as a separate "unknown" for each sentence. B)

Ricochet is just getting to old, and people need change.

Yeah I loved it while it was here, but all good things at sometime comes to a end. As far as this community goes, we can all still communicate and be a community but like previously stated before alot of people have bills to pay, loved ones to be next to, and things to learn.

So, I wouldn't necessarily blame WoW or any game. I just blame it on age and life...

Just my 2cent... B)
' Wrote:If I put the 'X' in the same sentence like that, then yes. Otherwise normal people would understand that X was being used as a separate "unknown" for each sentence. B)

Hrm...i tried writing a program assigning 10 to x.
Then used it i different "sentences". All came out to 10.

Although, I guess you could say that each sentence was within a different scope, and assigned a floating point value to x in each...then yes, I can understand that.
' Wrote:
' Wrote:If I put the 'X' in the same sentence like that, then yes. Otherwise normal people would understand that X was being used as a separate "unknown" for each sentence. B)

Hrm...i tried writing a program assigning 10 to x.
Then used it i different "sentences". All came out to 10.

Although, I guess you could say that each sentence was within a different scope, and assigned a floating point value to x in each...then yes, I can understand that.

Doesn't really matter as I'm never going to finish it or release it.
Ok lets get this back to the topic at hand please?;)

Now I should clarify what I said earlier in case anybody misunderstood me. What I meant by a new game does not mean getting rid of Rico. This community was based on it and Rico will always be a part of it. What I am talking about is taking advantage of the current CS and HL2DM servers. One or the other or maybe both since they are not being used.

I was thinking about TFC lately since two related releases are coming very soon. I never played much of Team Fortress Classic mostly cause I was playing something else at the time. There is a mod team releasing a Source version called Fortess Forever this month. It can be found at http://www.fortress-forever.com/

Also Valve will be releasing TF2 on October 9th. There is supposed to be some annoucement on it this Tuesday. Hopefully a demo.

Just something to look at as possible new games for the community.
From what I've seen about TF2, and thinking about how long its been in the work, i am extremely disappointed. But well see when it finally comes out eh?
I know this was probaly said already but, people can do what ever they want to do on there time . And alot of the ones that were around were teens and now adults with school and jobs to worry bout not games and irc.
You don't have to play Ricochet to be a part of the community, it was just the basis of the initial structure and will always be a part to some extent. I don't think you can point fingers at any one thing that has affected the community, except time. But the important thing is, even if attrition did set in for a while, we still are a community.
I have had a lot of changes in my life too and have not been as involved as I like to be in the community. Hopefully things have leveled out and we can start 'hanging out' again. I really like the idea of TFC, we had a good time when we use to play.

Miagi and PnG have been the most dedicated and productive members of this community for a long time. While we have had a small contingency of faithfuls that keep the faith on mIRC and a few come backs, it is those two that have kept the servers and the forums up to date. Kudos to you both, I wouldn't be able to do it without you.
:heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

ps you are right noose this is the most active thread in a long time
*wonders when the last time he saw GRITS long enough to say hello to:(*
Stupid busy mouse-killing job >.< lol

But back to the topic, and possible game solutions...

The way the community stands at the moment - time is the problem... Noone (or few people) have enough time to put lots of effort into a game - ie MMORPG... So it stands to reason that the next game the community champions would be a game where you can pick it up for 20mins when you have free time - the trouble is that eliminates alot of the big titles.. The reason we were so successful with rico was because it's a game where playing in 20 mins bursts will still keep your skills to the level where you're fairly competitive with everyone else, but with big games like cs:s if you only play 20mins a day, you're going to get raped by the guys who play for hours on end.

Now since I've not been around all month due to moving etc, I don't know what games are being released or whatever. So I'll simply ask anyone with the knowledge to suggest some "underground" games (so there's no "pro's" like in css) that are simplistic (like rico is) and don't require mass amounts of time. I've seen the TF2 and Fortress Forever being mentioned - of the 2 I'd say FF would be the better choice, due to TF2 having those pesky "pro" players with 10 hours a day spare.

So thus far, FF I think is the best choice.. But I'm sure there's going to be lots of other choices.
Any other suggestions?
From what i've read the opposite is true. TF2 doesn't seem to be geared toward "pro" players. This is coming from myself who only played TFC a handful of times. It is real easy to pick up and play. Game doesn't hit you with 20 differant buttons to do things. If anything it is geared to noobs like myself. Is it like that cause the Orange Box is also coming to the 360 and PS3? Maybe.

Fortress Forever seems to be more for the hardcore TFC player.

Cow could shed some light on this since he is a veteran of the series.