VadaVaka

Full Version: im a little behind
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i havn't even tried steam out yet. I know the basics of it but i guess i just dont understand how it would prevent the use of our fixes. I mean its just a different way of authing your cd key isn't it? if you cant make a server with our mp.dll then doesn't that eliminate all modding?

It's not just a different way of getting patches, the patches are compressed into a cache, and then expanded whilst you play...

What happens is the cache's are downloaded from STEAM servers. Thus any steam approved mods will be on the servers...

That means that in house fixes won't last as the STEAM approved servers will overwrite them. For the dedicated server, I'm not sure what will happen...
they are making mods pay to play now, no more free mods, except valve sanctioned mods.
If that's so... they are trying to kill themselves. Small time mods are what kept them alive this long. Every now and then, a little mod gets popular and increases hl sales. Just like a certain team-based mod with new weapons and an interesting take on reswpaning was 75% of their longevity.
CS was a small mod at one point, as was dod, they went retail and made valve lots of money, plus sales of hl, wouldnt be surprised to see natual selection go retail, for hl2.
so it downloads this cache everytime you play? so you couldn't just get all the crap overwith at once and then replace their dll with our dll and bam you can play our version.

I just dont see why Valve would make it so it overwrites custom .dll files as that is modding and custom mods are what kept HL alive this long...and what about metamod/adminmod and such...how are they working with steam?
well according to evil, adminmod is working on update for steam right now. I think the same for metamod, but dont quote me.
Makes you wonder if Valve really came up with this, cause I remember when the Russians were gonna drop nukes on us to.
nononoon it doesnt dl the cache everytime you play..when you install steam it converts all your hl+mods "whatever ones you select" into cache and other folders..then it updates teh games and it sends the data to be stored in the cache folder..you only need to dl the the updates 1 time..but the updates are so huge it takes forever
i guess i gotta try it cause this makes absolutly no sense to me

[CAKE Wrote:anonymity,Sep 15 2003, 01:23 AM] well according to evil, adminmod is working on update for steam right now. I think the same for metamod, but dont quote me.
Adminmod is actually based on Metamod, so for it to work requires a metamod update...:)
well i guess this would be the perfect time to ask, what is metamod anyway?
http://metamod.org

Quote:Metamod is a plugin/DLL manager that sits between the Half-Life Engine and an HL Game mod, allowing the dynamic loading/unloading of mod-like DLL plugins to add functionality to the HL server or game mod

Exactly what he said. Basically, it allows for multiple additions, rather than just one. The half life set up points at a single DLL (library of code) which is usually the MOD's game... however, metamod points it at itself upon installation, and then loads anything else it needs to ....