VadaVaka

Full Version: New update from steam...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well the idiots messed up the newest update so what do they have to do, delete your old cache files and make you download everything again!!!!!

Thought steam was not gonna be long lines of waiting for large files to update...

Thought steam was gonna be easy updating...

guess they were wrong!!!

http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=news

Quote:Update Recalled
October 21, 2003, 4:05 pm · Greg Coomer

We have identified a bug in the recent update which was causing Steam users to download much more content than was necessary. This was overloading the network and not allowing people to play games, so we have reverted back to the previous version for now. There will probably be some network congestion due to all this for the next couple of hours or so.

Quote:Steam Client Update Released
October 21, 2003, 12:08 pm · Greg Coomer

A Steam update has just been released. The next time you restart Steam, the update will take effect. Here are the details on what is included:
Added support for "trickle update", which will allow updates to games to be delivered over time before they are activated.
Optimizations in Steam targeted at reducing CPU and memory load on some systems.
Progress dialog always shows now during startup.
Fixed handling of cache fingerprint mismatch on reconnect
Fixed case which would cause the preloader ignoring errors to send extra messages to the Steam servers.
Fixed bug in Steam that would cause cache to be validated too often when Steam started. This would cause hard drive thrashing.
Fixed a potential lockup case and access violation case in Steam
Since I have to download the cache files again, i'm gonna just drop them onto CD so that I don't have to worry about downloading them for yet a 4th or 5th time
good luck..im not re-installing cs or any mods for steam untill they fix this shit or WON servers go down..its stupid
everything seems to work again, no thanks to steam. They really should offer a button that says make cache from existing files and then you point steam to the proper folder
or a button that says "bring back WON!"
won is still here so they won't do that,but once won is gone then a put in that button:)
hopefully WON servers stay up for a long time
Doesn't matter to me the only HL things I play are HLDM and Rico.
well i dont want to get started about the won/steam diffrence in rico, so i wont.