Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Webdesign/Uploading w/ Dreamweaver
Ok, so I created a standard website in dreamweaver a long, long time ago and I have wanted to upload it to the net. So I worked with www.gametiger.com and got them to host it for me. They gave me the ip to connect to and alot of cool extras for the site (ie email, moderation, forums, etc.) My only problem is that when I upload the dreamweaver files (saved as .html files) onto the ftp I can not see the site come up on the web. I know that dreamweaver forces you to target all of your links to a certain file and directory in which it is contained and normally I have it targeted at some place on my computer, but that won't work for anyone else. The only problem is that the root directory I start in on the ftp is entitled "/" without the quotes. I have tried directing the links to many different locations, but to no avail. I would really appreciate some help and btw, this is the reason why no one can see the uT website....
I hate dreamweaver for the way it does all that shite, and find doing it manually is far far quicker. That said, I'm not entirely sure what you have in your SITE setup.

I have dreamweaver 4 here, and when you goto Define Sites, you can pick Edit. Under there, you should have something similar to:

Local info
Sitename: uT
Local Root: d:/sources/web/gametiger/ut
HTTP Address http:///www.gametiger.com/ut

Remote Info
Access: FTP
FTP Host: x.x.x.x
Host Directory: /
Login: cloud
Password: ******
Save: Ticked

Now, your links should really try to use relative links rather than hard coded ones. So it depends on how you've defined them when you coded it all.
yeah that's what I have...and basically I just specified the location in which each .html file and each button was located. So I guess if I work on having dreamweaver automatically connect to the ftp....it should work.
still no good....:blink:
Can you provide a link to the site. This way i can get a look at what you are doing.

Also what is the name of the file? Most sites need the first page to start as index.html. so if you are just targeting say "www.gametiger.com/cloudfuel" and your file is not named index.html then the site won't come up.

So if you target "www.gametiger.com/cloudfuel/hello.html" then it will show you the hello.html file.
Cloudy AIM me I'm an HTML guru (well, maybe I give myself a *little* too much credit:P)
after all =D I can help figure it out.
Aye. As are me and Gwar. :) I have PHP and other scripting / database skills too. Then I could also comment on my being able to diagnose any networking faults too, and not to forget that I could actually help with any of the unix based administration.... but then I don't like to blow my own trumpet ;-)

You see, I'm not noxious, I'm OB-noxious... :-D
Well you see it wants a link to a specific directory....not a link to a site....so it would be like File://C:/uT Website/ not like a link...and I can't link it up for ya cuz if I could I wouldnt be asking you for help. I can not get it to show up....that is the problem
HAHAHH I win...I got it to work...WOOHOO

- http://ut.gametigerclans.com/

go go go!!!
Uncapitalize my name on the members page. I don't like the big N.:P
Does anyone else notice that I'm last on every single list? Seeing as the world revolves around me I demand change! ;) Great site cloud.
Noxi....you shh... and RWS it's cuz you where the last member added to uT...so I had to go back and re-edit everything. Don't worry guys, this is just a simple layout that I will further in the future, but I just wanted something up for us right now...it'll look badass when I'm done...trust me...
It'll look badass when the n is uncapatilized:)