Poll: Who do you consider a hero?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Sport players (any sport)
0%
0 0%
Doctors/EMTs/Firefighters/Police/ ect
100.00%
13 100.00%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who are heros...
Personally I think the work hero is thrown around too easily today. Specialy with sports "heros". How the heck can they be a hero? When they are on the ice or court or field, are they saving someones life at the risk of their own?

Personally I think sports players should never be payed millions of bucks to play on a team and then payed millions more for endorsements. They have not saved anyones life.

Doctors/EMTs/Firefighters/Police/ ect all save lives every single day, everyone of them are under paid for what they do or the kind of dangers they put themselves into for what is usually too many hours for very skimpy pay.

What should happen (I think) is sports players should not be payed more then say a million bucks at the most, maybe even only 500,000. Let them get all their money from endorsments. That would sure clean up some of the "bad boys" in a hurry.

Then with all the extra money from sports events, Doctors/EMTs/Firefighters/Police/ ect can be paid more and more Doctors/EMTs/Firefighters/Police/ ect could be around to help take off some of the pressure current Doctors/EMTs/Firefighters/Police/ ect are under.

I don't know how bad it is everywhere else but up here in Canada doctors are heading to the US because they get more money and work less hours. Personally I would like to know that the doctor that is working on me only works at most a 12 hour shift, then goes home for 8 hours of sleep and a few hours with family.
I put a null vote because you were obviously looking for a particular answer and were being a bit melodramatic. You think money left over that isn't being paid towards players would somehow magically go to pay government employees? Players get paid by teams. They pay them more and more because the most athletically gifted players are coming at a premium. And the word hero... I honestly don't hear sports stars being called heroes that often... usually they're stars, athletes, greats, legends, but extremely rarely is any one of them called a hero. Dunno gwar, did you just get finished reading a ranting article? This seems sorta out of the blue.
The reason they keep getting paid more and more is because we keep buying what they are selling. If there is not a market for a 6 dollar hot dog then it wouldn't be 6 dollars. If kids didn't buy 200 dollar stupid looking tennis shoes, nuff said.
A hero can be anybody at any time, sometimes for standing up for what you belive in or speaking out. I've broken up an assualt with a weapon on a child, so does that mean im a hero? i dont think so, i just did what i had to do.
I agree with g-boy. I don't really see athletes being called heroes that often. It seems like every other NFL game I watch pays a little tribute to the U.S. soldiers in Iraq and they call them heroes ... Also you have to take the term "hero" in the right context. When someone is labeled as a sports hero then it just means they have acheived much more than others in their sport.

Jabba is dead on with the money thing (WAR Titans!). If you help bring in that kinda cash, well then you deserve a good chunk of it. I'm sure you wouldn't be turning down that kind of cash. Plus the police have their fair share of bs money anyway too. Some of the shit they pull on speeding violations just makes it a total cash-cow. Yea I'm bitter cause I got a pretty bad ticket recently =( Construction zone bullshit =(
-Sockhole
"If ya SMELL ... what the SOCK ... is cookin."
I vote null. Heros are what you make them out to be.
Hero's are definately NOT sports figures. Hero's are ones making sacrifices for the better of all. I don't think there are too many
pro players looking out for anyone but their own selves and images. Soldiers, cops, firefighters...yeah...I call them heros, cept the cops
who practice legalized extortion with ticket writing schemes. They're just bastids.

Doesn't Canada have that socialized medicine thing that sucks so bad; the thing Hilary Clinton wants the US to have??? That might have something to do with the doctors coming to the US. I don't think it's for fewer hours; doctors here work the double digit shifts all the time. My best friend is a surgeon and he will tell you that right up. As to pay, doctors here do pretty well, after they get out of that loan debt, which is tremendous. Medical people are definately heros especially for putting up with so much legal red-tape now with frivious lawsuits and continuing to save lives.
The tickets revenue that cops recive, doesn't actually fall into the pockets of that said cop, some goes toward the station, and some towards the government, at least here in Ontario (If there is any money made on anything its a very safe bet the goverment get some of it).

I'm not sure how much crap a doctor would have to put up with, i know there must be a fair amount of work that they dont like (or else it wouldnt be called work). I know they get paid very good money, but income and hero status is few and fair between, look at lawyers.

Edit: although there are several high profile atheletes who have charites, and donate a lot to them.
So does that make the great donators Bill and Melinda Gates heros?
Something I just noticed. . .

Why is this "Poll" in the section for "Debates" when there is a "Poll" section... :)
Captain Kangaroo turned 76 recently, which is odd, because he's never
looked a day under 76. (DOB:6/27/27) It reminded me of the following story.

Some people have been a bit offended that the actor, Lee Marvin, is buried
in a grave alongside 3 and 4 star generals at Arlington National Cemetery.
His marker gives his name, rank (PVT) and service (USMC). Nothing else.
Here's a guy who was only a famous movie star who served his time, why the
heck does he rate burial with these guys? Well, following is the amazing
answer: I always liked Lee Marvin, but did not know the extent of his Corps
experiences.
In a time when many Hollywood stars served their country in the armed
forces often in rear-echelon posts where they were carefully protected,
only to be trotted out to perform for the cameras in war bond promotions,
Lee Marvin was a genuine hero. He won the Navy Cross at Iwo Jima. There is
only one higher Naval award... the Medal Of Honor.
If that is a surprising comment on the true character of the man,he credits
his sergeant with an even greater show of bravery.
Dialog from The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson: His guest was Lee Marvin.
Johnny said, "Lee, I'll bet a lot of people are unaware that you were a
Marine in the initial landing at Iwo Jima... and that during the course of
that action you earned the Navy Cross and were severely wounded."
Yeah, yeah... I got shot square in the ass and they gave me the Cross for
securing a hot spot about halfway up Suribachi...bad thing about getting
shot up on a mountain is guys gettin' shot hauling you down.
But,Johnny, at Iwo Jima I served under the bravest man I ever knew... We
both got the cross the same day, but what he did for his Cross made mine
look cheap in comparison.
The dumb bastard actually stood up on Red beach and directed his troops to
move forward and get the hell off the beach. Bullets flying by and mortar
rounds landing every where and he stood there as the main target of gun
fire so that he could get his men to safety. He did this on more than one
occasion because his men's safety was more important than his own life.
That Sergeant and I have been lifelong friends. When they brought me off
Suribachi we passed the Sergeant and he lit a smoke and passed it to me,
lying on my belly on the litter and said, where'd they get you Lee?' "Well
Bob... if you make it home before me, tell Mom to sell the outhouse!"
Johnny, I'm not lying...Sergeant Keeshan was the bravest man I ever
knew.....
The Sergeant's name is Bob Keeshan... You and the world know him as Captain
Kangaroo."
On another note, there was this wimpy little man (who just passed away) on
PBS, gentle and quiet. Mr. Rogers is another of those you would least
suspect of being anything but what he now portrays to our youth. But Mr.
Rogers was a U.S. Navy Seal, combat proven in Vietnam with over twenty-five
confirmed kills to his name.
He wore a long sleeve sweater on his show to cover the many tattoos on his
forearm and biceps. A master in small arms and hand-to-hand combat, able to
disarm or kill in a heartbeat.
After the war Mr. Rogers became an ordained Presbyterian minister and
therefore a pacifist. Vowing to never harm another human and also
dedicating the rest of his life to trying to help lead children on the
right path in life. He hid the tattoos and his past life away and won our
hearts with his quiet wit and charm.
America's real heroes don't flaunt what they did, they quietly go about
their day to day lives, doing what they do best. They earned our respect
and the freedoms that we all enjoy.
Look around and see if you can find one of those heroes in your midst.
Often, they are the ones you'd least suspect, but would most like to have
on your side if anything ever happened.
Take the time to thank anyone that has fought for our freedom. With
encouragement they could be the next Captain Kangaroo or Mr. Rogers.