Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cell phone tech going too far?
Cell phone tech has gone WAY too far now (as if it hasn't already) Want to watch a movie on your cell phone?

http://207.36.117.215/natpe/categories.html

I'm not against cell phones, I view them more as a safty feature then anythign else. My mom has a cell phone because the work she does shes on the road alot in areas where she can't easily get to a phone if anything happens out there.

I'm sick of all the stuff they are trying to stuff into a cell phone today, just to keep their prices up really.

Why do you need to surf the internet on your cell phone...
Why do you need to have games on your cell phone...
Why do you need to have a camera in your cell phone...
Why do you need to have a mp3 player in your cell phone...
Why do you need to watch little films on your cell phone...

Why can't I just go out and buy a cell phone that can only send and recieve phone calls. I don't need or want all that other junk.
How apropos...I am sitting at home waiting on the UPS to bring my new cell phone ..my phone does have games...if they can be called that...I am sure they are not HL2 quality graphics. My other phone probably had games too....I have no idea, I didn't buy it for the games...and now I'll never know. The things I was looking for (besides GB's bare bones phone) were storage of numbers and text messaging capability. All that other stuff comes with it...although I am kind of excited about the GPS locator for obvious reasons.;) I think I can shed some light on the camera needs....when I worked at the Disney Store I would hear people all the time calling to ask if such and such toy was something they should get or if the person on the other end of the line thought so and so would like a particular clothing item...and then listen for the next few minutes as they tried to describe what they were holding...so I can see where the camera would come in handy and save time....snap picture "here what do you think?"
Internet access....I must admit I looked up a menu at a restaurant one time before I actually went in to decide if the line was worth the wait.
GPS eh? So ya can see where U at !

Here's my phone I just bought last month. It's nice N perty.

Lots of backlit blue buttons and high rez window.

PS...DONT GET THE INTERNET ON YOUR PHONE....IT SUX BAD!!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I dont even have a cell phone. I just leave my computer on with an IM and you can drop me a line their, or email me, or leave a message on my voice mail that my parents got me.
Heh my mom works for a cellphone place selling phones so naturally I have one. The only reason I use the internet on the phone is so I can look up times for movies which takes a good 5 minutes getting through the internet menu... Then once you reach the menu, you get disconnected because you are out of range. Heh. O

Games??? I've had the phone for like 3 months and never bothered looking for games... Let's see Pff only two games. Bowling should be fun to play while driving:moped:.

Wouldn't movies drain the battery in like 20 minutes?

Quote:Why do you need to surf the internet on your cell phone...
Why do you need to have games on your cell phone...
Why do you need to have a camera in your cell phone...
Why do you need to have a mp3 player in your cell phone...
Why do you need to watch little films on your cell phone...

So people can say "My phone is better than your's!!!"

Haha and Gps would be a great idea for my mom who has trouble navigating through a mall and finding the car.

Here's mine though right here
I'm just having one problem with receiving text messages, it keep telling me to insert sim card so this model might have a few bugs. :cuss:
<@Miagi> !8 Am I spamming?
<@ChanServ> Miagi: Yes.
<@Miagi> !8 Should I stop?
<@ChanServ> Miagi: Oh, please, PLEASE, make it stop!

The socilogical term for the "my phone is better then yours" is called socioeconomic status. Conspicous consumption as well would be related. In english, showing off your bling bling.
here is mine, it dosent do a ton of stuff but it does make phone calls. and it fits in my front pocket and I dont even know it is there.

this is my phone, just got it 2 months ago.

Dual Band Tri-Mode Sprint Phone™
Picture this…snap a picture, add your own voice message
and instantly send both to family and friends.
The SCP-8100 has a built-in digital camera.

SCP-8100
Picture Mail

Share Pictures instantly
(Works for all Sprint PCS Vision™ compatible phones,
Personal Computers, and select PDA Devices.)
Send Attached Voice Memos with Pictures
(Up to 10 recipients simultaniously)

Store and Organize Pictures in Online Album

New Technology

Built-In Digital Camera
Wirelessly Share Pictures in an instant
Send Attached Voice Memos with Pictures
Dual Band/Tri-Mode Phone
WAP 2.0 Browser

Java (J2ME MIDlet)
1.8 inch color rich display
Downloadable Games, Screen Savers, and Ringers
Screen Calls
User Controlled Color Tone (Sepia, Black & White, Negative)
Add Clever Captions to pictures

Fun Frames

QuadScreen thumbnail picture review
Instantly assign photos as caller id, or screensaver
Personalization

Know Who's Calling with:
- Photo Caller ID
- Color Caller ID
- Ringer Caller ID

Enhanced 32 Chord Polyphonic Ringtones
Make your own ScreenSavers

Adjustable Font Sizes for Web Browser and Notifications
Built-in Answering Machine for Call Screening
More Outstanding Features

Fully Supports Sprint PCS Vision™
Large 1 inch 65 thousand-color external LCD display
Voice-activated dialing—up to 30 persons
USB Interface for rapid data transfers

PC Synchronization (software sold separately)
Electronic Organizer with Scheduler/Calendar and To-Do List
Phone Book Holds up to 300 entries, up to 500 phone numbers,
300 e-mail addresses, and 300 Web Address entries

Vibrating Ringer Mode
Auto/Flip Open Answer
20-Number Call History (Calls Made, Missed or Received)
2.8 Hours Talk / 10.7 Days Standby with a Standard 1000 mAh Lithium Ion Battery
4.4 Hours Talk / 16 Days Standby with a Extended 1650 mAh Lithium Ion Battery

* Battery performance estimates reflect tested CDMA usage.
Actual results may vary

How much of this stuff do people use? games on a phone would be ok if your bored in class or something, but the rest i really dont see much of an advantage except to brag.
I won't answer since I will tell you I use my phone for Calender events, sending text messages, voicemail, infrared contract transfering and synchronising with my desktop / pda... voice activation is useful whilst your driving, though as I don't drive I tend to use it when I'm cycling, etc.

It's all useful, the problem is most people don't utilise things properly or by the phone that's adequate for them. My phone is like 3-4 years old now and before that it was another 5 years before I changed.

People see latest and greatest and think they'll swap it just for stuff they won't use.
My thing is, why not? You talk about rising prices in cell phones... I don't know about Canadian plans, but down here pretty much every cell phone provider has a cell phone that is free, or at least is free after a small rebate. I have a T-mobile phone that costs $100, but it's 50 off immediately when you activate, and then another 50 rebate. Just fine to me. And you don't have to get the internet stuff if you don't want.

To answer your question of why more directly... realize many of these are aimed at younger people, who do tend to use them. I don't like cell phone games, but I kind of would like a cell phone that has some internet capabilities. Camera I could care less about too. But hey, some people like it, why not. And an mp3 player has definite advantages if you, say, listen to music? Not every phone has these features, and I don't think you'll be forced to buy them. Get the barebones phone with your plan, not a big deal. It's optional. It's like saying why have a smoking section if you don't smoke... well, because some people do, and they have the choice of being in non-smoking or smoking. Except in this case they pay extra for that pleasure.
I have the internet on mine but I have come to the realization that it REALLY SUCKS! Like i want to check sports scores from the woods?
or check the weather while i'm driving...i can see it's raining. The only reason i had to get the internet is you have to have it to download
ringtones.

I just hooked my boss up with what they call a Blackberry PDA phone. Now THAT is sweet. It looks like MS office on the front and gets AND
sends email from our mail servers. Full 20 lines of viewable text and will open Office attachments like Excel and Word. I am jealous i got it for
him and not me.:wacko:
g-boy,Feb 3 2004, 03:40 PM Wrote:My thing is, why not? You talk about rising prices in cell phones... I don't know about Canadian plans, but down here pretty much every cell phone provider has a cell phone that is free, or at least is free after a small rebate. I have a T-mobile phone that costs $100, but it's 50 off immediately when you activate, and then another 50 rebate. Just fine to me. And you don't have to get the internet stuff if you don't want.

To answer your question of why more directly... realize many of these are aimed at younger people, who do tend to use them. I don't like cell phone games, but I kind of would like a cell phone that has some internet capabilities. Camera I could care less about too. But hey, some people like it, why not. And an mp3 player has definite advantages if you, say, listen to music? Not every phone has these features, and I don't think you'll be forced to buy them. Get the barebones phone with your plan, not a big deal. It's optional. It's like saying why have a smoking section if you don't smoke... well, because some people do, and they have the choice of being in non-smoking or smoking. Except in this case they pay extra for that pleasure.
Why not stop making things that aren't needed and lower the damn call costs instead:P
what i dont entirely get is how you NEVER notice that you have got a phone call when you are in a bar, whether its on quiet, loud, vibrate, extra annoying whatever you never notice it.

being as one of the major reasons for me having a phone is to meet ppl in pubs i think thats a very bad thing. maybe a taser phone like in the bond film would be the answer :upto:
EEEEXCEELLEEEEEEENNT!!
[Image: SkaWars.JPG]
Heh. I *always* know when my phone rings. I have tight pockets (don't like spending) and it vibrates quite hard... just don't let the gf know, k thx.
you don't have one of those potato pockets in your undies where you put that phone net??
i bet you would sit there and call it ALL day long too.:D
i use the net on my phone all the time to check email while on the road, but now I wish I had the pda/phone. the numbers are bigger.