Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hockey too violent
Hockey is way too violent. If you haven't seen the news as of late, a player was hit from behind in the head and has he was going down, his face was pushed into the ice. Thanks to the idiot that did it, the guy has a broken neck.

Hockey is getting out of hand, people say that fighting is part of the game, fighting is only part of the game cause its allowed. What the heck is that telling the kids? Its telling them that its ok to fight in sports. Personally I don't think it is at all.

Anyone that fights, that throws one single punch should be tossed out of that game and recieve at least a 50,000 fine for each punch thrown. The team or coach should also recieve a 25,000 fine also for each punch. This will give the coach the incentive to teach his players not to fight.

The player that threw that punch on monday and drove him into the ice should be kicked out of hockey for good.

Same with the one backin 2000 that hit the guy with a sick to the face. Neither of these were accidents.

Here is a url for what happened and a picture of what happened too.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/hock...ex.html?cnn=yes

[Image: p1_bertuzzipunch_ap.jpg]
I saw that clip. Todd Bertuzzi is getting suspended for the rest of the year. Gwar that was not a fight, it was a cheap shot. I dont see a problem with fighting, players both agree to it and accept the risks (voluntary assumption of risk). I dont know Bertruzzi's side of it, but he probably didnt have much justification (if any). I think what broke his neck was the way he feel. Football players get tacked from behind quite often and there usually isnt broken necks.

People say that people only go to hockey games for the fighting and violence. I have seen many hockey games and I know the media is going to hype the next game between colorado and vancouver, when Bertuzzi returns. All thats really going to happen on Bertuzzi is a few good hits, and quite possbily one fight. People say that the use the fighting and the hitting to sell hockey games. Carolina went from getting about 50% attendence to sell outs in just over a week, the only reason why is because they made the playoffs. The most TV ratings are during the playoffs and thats when I watch the most hockey. I have never seen a fight in the playoffs.
Oh, and if you do end up fining the players more. The ones who end up paying for it is the fans.
Fighting isn't totally okay, because it's taking over the mentality of the players. They'll gradually feel more and more pressure to maintain their machismo through violence, which is what causes hits like that.

It's the unsportsmanlike conduct that has to stop. It most certainly wasn't a tackle--tackles follow a procedure, have a technique. It was an attack, as in a hit with intent to harm, rather than to stop a play. The push into the ice was what did it; the strain on his neck from the helmet stopping his face before his shoulders.
Tod Bertuzzi was actually crying when he apoligized to Moore and his family in a press confrence earlier.
Quote:What the heck is that telling the kids? Its telling them that its ok to fight in sports.

different rules for different levels in the game. At a 5 year olds hockey level. .they don't fight. Remeber parents? I believe they're supposed to have a role in raising their kids too, let them teach right from wrong.

Now...

Steve Moore hits Mark Naslund and puts him out of commision for about a week. Mr. Crawford makes a comment to Todd Bertuzzi about the incident and asks a favour of him. . Bertuzzi agrees and subsequently punches Moore in the head.

just my theory anyways. Besides Bertuzzi didn't break Moore's neck. I watched the video, He got punched and fell. A dog pile followed and it was then that people jumped on him that his neck did an unusual backwards bend.
FreeFall,Mar 12 2004, 01:46 AM Wrote:Besides Bertuzzi didn't break Moore's neck. I watched the video, He got punched and fell. A dog pile followed and it was then that people jumped on him that his neck did an unusual backwards bend.
Yes i agree, he probably broke his neck when they piled up on him and I don't think Bertussi should be blamed for that.
Try rugby, at least they don't wear a full suit of armor.
yes he broke his neck when the guy hit him and fell down on top of him..if you watched it, it shows his head being slammed into the ice
fighting in hockey is controled by the refs, that was an attack, if you dont want to fight all you have to do is fall to the ice and the ref will stop the fight, kinda makes you look like a puss, but you dont have to fight. it is such a contact sport that tempers are going to flare and they understand that and that is why fighting is tolerated. side note fighting isnt allowed in hockey, thats why you get sent to the box for it.
Steve Moore is supposed to be back on the ice within 4-6 weeks.
dont think you can recover in 4-6 weeks from a broken neck
I have seen Mats Sundin play with a few weeks after breaking his wrist. That was in the playoffs and he didnt injury it again. By few i mean less then 4.
this isnt a wrist:)
True, but he is also getting his information from a media source who is getting their information from the doctors, who might know a bit about when he will be back. ^_^
nah..you cant get a broken neck..next day "he will be back in 4-6 weeks" this takes months to recover if the injury is serious enough..
I also heard that apparently it's not a broken neck.
Hockey is my favorite sport, and I have no problem with the fights. As someone mentioned (didn't read EVERYTHING), the fights are watched closely by refs and linesmen. They throw punches, try to take off jerseys, and if it gets out of hand or they fall down, the officials break it up. The Bertuzzi thing, like McSorley and Granato in the past, was as someone said, a cheap shot. The sport is quite violent, it's the most exhausting sport (at least among the popular professional sports), and that's part of what people accept in the game. I'd venture to say way more players have died in other sports, however, and received more serious injuries more often. They are being paid to play, they know what can happen, and it's simply their choice. It's not like we're forcing them to do it. As for a message to kids... like anything else, if you think it's too violent or too suggestive, then parents should keep them from watching it. It's individual decision, and the sport itself shouldn't be criticized.
Gwarsbane,Mar 11 2004, 03:46 PM Wrote:Hockey is way too violent. If you haven't seen the news as of late, a player was hit from behind in the head and has he was going down, his face was pushed into the ice. Thanks to the idiot that did it, the guy has a broken neck.

Hockey is getting out of hand, people say that fighting is part of the game, fighting is only part of the game cause its allowed. What the heck is that telling the kids? Its telling them that its ok to fight in sports. Personally I don't think it is at all.

Anyone that fights, that throws one single punch should be tossed out of that game and recieve at least a 50,000 fine for each punch thrown. The team or coach should also recieve a 25,000 fine also for each punch. This will give the coach the incentive to teach his players not to fight.

The player that threw that punch on monday and drove him into the ice should be kicked out of hockey for good.

Same with the one backin 2000 that hit the guy with a sick to the face. Neither of these were accidents.

Here is a url for what happened and a picture of what happened too.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/hock...ex.html?cnn=yes

[Image: p1_bertuzzipunch_ap.jpg]
Fighting is part of the game, and a $5,000 fine is WAY too strict for fighting. 5 minutes is enough:lol:.
I remember a while ago, Marty McSorley from teh Bruins slashed an Oiler, and was kicked out of the NHL, he had to go play on some farm team. pffft no one would want him on their team.
[CAKE Wrote:anonymity,Mar 11 2004, 12:38 PM] I saw that clip. Todd Bertuzzi is getting suspended for the rest of the year.
I think that they said indefinately, due to the possible severity of the injury, he might be done for ever.
Don't wanna piss off the ladies in here.
i mean cmon its a sport you pl ay it as your own risk you know whats goin to probably happen to you you might get beat up in jured.

You know all that before you sign the contract.

Why not say boxing is to brutal ? same shit.....