Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethical question
Ok I have a good question for yas all, this is something that is happening right now.

If someone joins a non-profit group and doesn't sign any contracts or anything else. Works on some projects that are totally finished and released. Then gets upset with someone halfway through another project for that gorup and wants to leave but also wants all of his work that he has done for that project removed, should it be removed or should the group just say bye bye and leave the work in there?
It's a matter of law rather than ethics. The group keeps the work because it was done voluntarily, no strings attached. All work done out of the "goodness of someone's heart" for the group belongs to the group because there were no prior agreements for the person to retain ownership of the volunteer work.
No papers were signed at all so im guessing why bvother keep his work in here for them to get credit off of it since it didnt go the way he wanted it or got upset and took it out. Thats what I tink even though i just woke up and reading what u wrote 3 times over and over lol:P
Oops my bad.

Quote:doesn't sign any contracts or anything else

The guy was never a member in the first place. Basically during the time he stayed with them and did work on projects the group was simply being allowed to use his work. Therefore the work was always his property since he lawfully had no affiliation with the non-profit group other than working with them.
I'm wrong again. I keep jumping to conclusions without really thinking about the situation.

If there was a verbal agreement the he would work for the non-profit org then that will suffice as a binding contract meaning all work done by him for the organization belongs to the organization.
Damn, I was right the second time.

It's copyright law states that the transfer of work done by the volunteer MUST be transferred by means of a written and signed contract. Verbal agreement will not suffice. :(
Dont leave me GB
if the work helped the other peoples work "progress" then the work should stay, if not he burned valueable volunteer time of the rest of the group. and volunteer speaks for itself. "1 : a person who voluntarily undertakes or expresses a willingness to undertake a service"
Don't worry GRITS, I'm not leavin. :)

Ya the guys code did help out the over all project.

I guess its done now anyway, first he said no, then he said yes, then he said no again, now its yes again.
Not strictly true. I do not have a contract at work but by turning up everyday and performing the tasks requested of me, it is deemed that I have an UNWRITTEN contract. Obviously, it would be in my best interests to have it down on paper but as I'm only on a probationary period I'm not too bothered right now... once it was offered permenant then I would be...

It can be argued therefore, that a contract did exist between the two parties even if it was unwritten and voluntary.
So he was contractually bound to give them the software when it was finshed.
From my point of view, I would say yes, unless he included any form of rights protection within all the documentation and software.