Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An age old question
Ok everyone.... Which came first? The chicken or the egg?
If you're religious, the chicken... God placed a pregnant chicken on the land and it made an egg and mated with its offspring to produce the dumb cluckers that we eat and enjoy so much protein from.
Others would say the egg, because a chicken has to be formed in an egg. I suppose I'd go with the egg, because a chicken can't just show up out of thin air. Nor really could an egg. Since the chicken is probably a product of evolution, technically probably the egg came first, that is, the first eggs to actually contain chicken-like birds.
But it's like asking what came first, the human or the fetus... well, technically the fetus... it's a matter of how it got to that point.
Yeah yeah, taking it to seriously.
I know I know....the egg did
I did research on chickens for years....developmentally easiest animal to use....you dont have to open a mother to get out the offspring ...anyhow...chickens are evolutionarily higher than lizards at least in the types of keratin in their skin...theoretically chickens came from mutated lizards because they contain two types of keratin and the lizard contains one.....sorry I am getting nerdy huh? this was suppose to be a fun question I bet.....:lol:
I just figured since g-boy was taking the more pietistic view I would take the Darwinian approach:wacko:
Chicken or the egg, hmmmm. I think I started eating them at the same time.
no,no,no,no, wait I just remembered that I had a boiled egg first, so I guess the egg did come first.
Pietistic? I'm agnostic, My Scientist from the South. I said the chicken is a product of evolution and therefore the egg comes first. The first line I said was sort of a joke...
Oh I see......I thought the last half was sarcasm...thanks for clearing that up :wub:
You know, if you look at it from an evolutionary standpoint, then you can't really say. Cause evolultion happens over MILLIONS of years. How much does a lizard egg have to change to make it a chicken egg? Likewise, how much does a lizard have to change to become a chicken? These changes happen over a LONG time and it only happens to a couple of the animals. These animals mate and send that mutant gene down the line for a million more years so that it can AGAIN mutate more, or maybe another gene mutates. Finally a half chicken/half lizard thing will mate and make an egg that has another mutation, making it 51% chicken. So my answer: the egg
a b
Oh my god there is someone else in this world with common sense,HEHE (wha)
Wha?,Mar 4 2003, 10:31 PM Wrote:A chicken can't emerge from anything but a chicken egg, and a pre-chicken can't lay anything other than pre-chicken eggs. It's all perspective, because the question is too ambiguous to get a single, clear answer.

The egg that was produced from a pre-chicken would have to be a pre-chicken egg, according to logic. But if a chicken emerges, it would have to have been the first chicken egg. Again, according to logic. According to genetics, the egg that hatched the first bird you want to call a chicken (there isn't just one type of chicken) would be the answer to that infernal riddle.

However, to answer the question as I read it, it would be the egg hands down.

Why?
Because dinosaurs laid eggs, and the question only said "the egg", not "the chicken egg", and since dinosaurs predate chickens by millions of years, eggs did also.

The question should read "Which came first, the chicken or the chicken egg?" to get the desired effect.
The egg did in fact come first. But if we take it a step further... on the basis of evolution than living organisims came before eggs :-\
easy answer to that question.. the ameba came first.... :wacko:
This topic will never be answered until you prove the age long debate of which actually happened: creationism or evolution (or a combination of both).
If you are a creationist, you belive that God created everything out of nothingness; the waters, the land and animals. Then he had all the creatures come
to Adam to be named. If this actually happened, then I doubt that there was a marching line of various animal eggs rolling down the Garden of Eden waiting
for recognition. If you believe in Evolution, then cellular organization began from the smallest sustainable organisms and developed into adaptive, colony organisms
which developed into the cell systems we saw later. Don't confuse a developing embryonic egg with a simple organism thriving and living on its own. The earliest
developing organisms were reproducing via fission and conjugative processes we see today in bacterial life cycles.
All in all, until someone proves the correct start of life and wins the greatest Nobe Prize ever, this topic will continue to be just what it is: a debate. I figure we will
all find out the answers one dark day when our lights go out, but it is fun to discuss now.
I believe on a personal level that there is a blend of both creationism and adaptation. I believe in a higher power controlling evolution in the species so that they
adapt to their surroundings. There is no doubt that organisms react and develop survival characteristics to keep on being on top. But as for the chicken and the egg,
I agree I eat them both and I'm glad they're here, regardless of which one came first.
I seem to remember my mom cooking scrambled eggs long before we ever made a trip to KFC.

I gotta go with the egg.

Beastie