Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American survey
basically, what this means is that colorado springs is a beautiful city, full of morons. and also, to make things even wierder, on top of the Right wing christian extreme movement, there is also a huge military presence (Norad is located in colorado springs, if you didnt know that). So basically its about 95% conservatism. and this slants the news and such. a lot. i dont mind 50/50, but when its that much in any direction it can drive just about anybody insane. btw, if you want to know what Focus on the Family is all about, check out their website at http://www.family.org . they like to protest everything, its fun. they bused in (not joking) about 200 people to protest when a Palestinian speaker came to a local college. she came to discuss future peace, but hey, who cares, lets ignore the facts and yell and hold up signs!

as far as current, horrible happenings in this city. the newly elected mayor, as his first order of business, decided to eliminate all benefits for same sex couples, something that the people had fought very hard for. according to them, it was costing way to much money (4 thousand dollars of our 58 million dollar budget). yah, so that pissed a lot of ppl off, and pleased the pope greatly.

oh, and you ask about the cafeteria thing, well....Palmer highschool is the oldest highschool in Colorado springs (often considered the "ghetto" highschool, but thats just cuz its downtown, we actually score the highest of any other highschool in grades.) It also happens to be the most populated. about 6 or 7 years ago the entire 3rd floor, which used to be a huge cafeteria, was converted into more classrooms. as a result, we are allowed to go off campus for lunches. and this kicks ass because it is right down town where all the good restaurants etc are. of course, the campus is spread across 4 city blocks anyway, so kids were usually off campus anyway.
and to prove that this is a nice place to live, aside from the ppl, here is a pic of our skyline.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Actually there are places in the states that you can go and legally fire fully automatic weapons. They are in or near Las Vagas somewhere and I plan on going there some day. I'll plunk down a 1000 bucks and just spend the whole day there firing weapons at paper targets.

My arms will be numb after that day, but it will be fun. :D
going to a shooting range might be fun. my friend's brother is a cop and has wanted me to go w/ them for a while. my friend's wife, like my dad, hates guns and doesn't allow them in the house. i, myself, have never fired a gun before so it would seem like an interesting experience. my friend's brother carries a police-modified glock 9mm as well as his dad's .357 magnum revolver.

i'm still debating if i would have a gun in my own house when i move out next year. i have my eye on a sig 226 9mm and possibly a shotgun. i abhore hunting so i would use it primarily for target shooting/self-defense. the problem is i have a rather quick temper and am somewhat paranoid by nature so...well...<place bad scenario here>.

wow, sage nice pic. you can almost see the theater that i work in. it's right....THERE:left:. see it? isn't it great?

indeed, this is a beautiful place to live, and it's full of proactive conservatives, but being that that is, there is a very strong liberal view to things as well. one of our local newspapers (the independent) has a horribly liberal stance. many local businesses have outward liberal viewpoints, and apart from our mayor, lionel freakin rivera, the rest of the city council is pretty open-minded. not to offend any conservatives, or republicans out there, but the local conservatives seem to think that anyone that doesn't think like them are just a bunch of irrational communists with too much freedom at their disposal.

this very well might be true. ...to an extent. we also have a history of young radicals, which is likely why our community is as paranoid as we are.
the city council used to eb open minded. then they all got replaced.
Show me where Waterbed Palace used to be in the pic?
You can't see where the Waterbed Palace is...the picture looks like it was taken where Waterbed Palace originates.
here's an interesting note: the tallest building in the picture (it happens to be a wells fargo office building) is the tallest legal bulding in the city. they passed a law a long time ago that buildings can only be so tall, otherwise they'd block the mountain landscape.

the only problem with that, is that since we can't have sky scrapers built, we are expanding outward like mad. Colorado Springs is the size of Denver now that Denver was about 20 years ago. :mellow:
yeah, colorado springs reminds me of my own city (salt lake city) but 1/2 the size. i love the natural beauty and diverse landscape of the west.

like your city, we are strongly religeous-based (mormon) conservative as a whole. in fact, a lot of utah...especially provo/orem (yuck!) is rediculously so...but slc is not too bad. we have an active nightlife w/ a lot of bars and dance-clubs. and of course, you have park city (20 min. east)...the home of the sundance festival.

in fact we have an ex-communicated democratic mayor, through which we have been able to get rid of some rediculous liquor laws such as not being able to have more than one drink per customer on the table at a time in restaurants and the issuing of almost twice as many liquor liscenses to clubs and restaurants.

it's also a safe city which i like. something i value when i'm alone walking off a drunken stupor downtown 2 in the morning...:D
have you seen a film called "SLC Punk"?
best mathew lillard flik i've ever seen.
I thought you couldnt drink in Utah cept in Hotels.
Here's a pic of my beautiful, safe, downtown, riverfront Memphis.

wow, that does not look edited at all.
yes, i have seen "slc punk"...good movie. it was strange knowing every single place they shot that film. i have lived in slc since 1996 when i moved out here right after high school.

btw, no offense pix...but u seem like a paranoid individual...lol

i have stayed over in memphis before...i thought it seemed like a real neat city w/ a lot of character.
I stayed there at the raddisson just off beal streat. Everything was going find then some guy kept wanting a cig., then money, then was pissed off at the world and was gonna go off on everyone until he got it. Only got worried when I laid him on the ground, put a knife in his ribs and he said calmly and with no pain " you got to work on your aim some"
yah, he's probably one of those people that want to keep their internal organs.

...wimp....
cool story jabba!!!:thumb:

man...i never got to shiv anyone in memphis:(.... i had to toss some dude's salad but that's about it...<_<

i'll never get used to some of those strange southern tennessee customs...:lol:
From War on Masturbation to Guns to players' places of residence. What a post! I have nothing to say..i'm just extremely bored
Dude!! You do know what 'tossing some guy's salad' means???? YES, I exagerated for the sake of humor on the
'edited' photo. Memphis is a very high crime area...thats been proven. I do believe we are number 2 in the country
for murder. With figures like that, it might pay to be a little bit paranoid. ;)
oh yah! well, colorado springs is second in the country for bad traffic conditions.
jebus, if you think that tenessee is dangerous, try driving around here. it's as if every car around you is inhabited by short, inconsiderate blonde women, and given that Trinidad, CO (a little south of here) is #2 in the country for gender conversion operations, they may not be women, after all.
and that, my friends, is a frightening thought.
Accidents happen when you close your eyes to pray.