Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dvd burning
Ok so I bought what I consider a kickass computer with a dvd burner and light scribe, so I thought hey now I can make copys of all my dvds so I can have them back in the computer room and in the living room at the same time, BUT everytime I try and copy them it says they are copy right protected, I realize they are but I thought I could make a copy for myself as backup, is this not the case? so if anyone has any ideas on how I might accomplish what i want to do let me know.

oh and heres the specs. on the puter.
AMD PHENOM x4 9650 quad-core
8 gigs of ram
750 gig HD
DVD burner with lightscribe
wireless lan
ATI RADION hd 3200
vista 64 bit
15 in one card reader
22 inch HD flat screen
Not sure what lightscribe is, but oh well.

I highly recommend netflix. My movie collection is at 200+ now.

http://videohelp.com for any resource. They will help you with almost anything, remember to use the search function before posting:)

I use a program called DVD Shrink to create an ISO file. By far the best one I've run into so far (besides DVD Decryptor, R.I.P.:( )

Sometimes it wont work. Data allocation error or something like that. I then try DVD Fab.

If that doesn't work I switch over to Linux and use k9copy.

Between the 3 of those, I can almost always get a working copy. If not, the disc is probably too scratched to even play normally.

Once you have an ISO file, use ImgBurn to burn it to a dvd.

Some lingo you'll need:
Dvd-4: single layered dvd (dvd-r, dvd+r, etc) These are the most abundant out there, can fit 4.7 GB
Dvd-9: Dual-layered dvd (dvd-dl) Can fit about 9 GB on a single dvd (not sure of the exact amount) Kinda expensive.

There was one other thing I was gonna write in lingo, but I can't remember it D:

Hope this helps!

PS: Nice buy! :D
sweet thanks, that is exactly the same thing miagi told me to use,(and it worked perfectly) the lightscribe some how or another inscribes your label on to the dvd with the lazer I am guessing.
lightscribe allows you to write something "on top" of the dvd. te titel of the movie for example so oyu dont have to use a pen. got that feature too and its quite useful;)
lightscribe = laser-enscribed graphics on the disc as opposed to a stick on type graphic... basically identical to the real dvd discs.

doom9.org is a GREAT website for dvd-authoring, dvd-copying, dvd-ripping, & dvd-burning.
lightscribe allows you to write stuff on the non-playable side of a DVD/CD. It does this with a laser. It's better than using a sharpie or a sticky label.

(sorry...everyone else was doing it...I had to jump on too)