Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Contraception/Post-conception
I realized we haven't really had a debate about this, and I know it's semi-controversial, but it's an extremely important topic. I know a few of you out there at least listen to Loveline, and it's something they bring up on that show on a nightly basis.

First of all, let's talk contraceptives. There are two main forms of contraception we all know about, and that would be condoms and birth control (pills, shots, implants, and now the patch). Condoms have been used for a long time, and are pretty effective if they don't fail. I mean, basically, if it doesn't break or come off, the semen has no where to go. However, the problem is that many people use it wrong. For example, when you're "done," you're supposed to hold it on. If you don't, occasionally it can get "lost." And of course if it breaks, you're screwed... unless of course...

Ah yes, birth control. The pill. Although there are so many forms of it now. Here's the thing... I see condoms as more of a protection against STD's, not so much prevention of pregnancy. For that, I believe all sexually active women should be on birth control. There are some women who will kick and scream and bite at me because of that statement, mostly because they believe it shouldn't be up to them to be responsible for contraception. Unfortunately, there are two problems with that. One, there is no male birth control (yet), so what are we supposed to do? I've already mentioned that condoms aren't always effective. Two, it's the woman who gets pregnant, and goes through the most trauma. And then there is that many birth control pills have positive effects such as clearing up acne, regulating the menstrual period, etc. So really, why not? Birth control pills are damn near 100% effective, and really it only fails if they are taken improperly, like a pill is skipped or taken too late or too early. That, however, is why they also have the depo shot, which is taken every few months, just a doctor visit and a shot keeps those eggs locked up. And of course, the patch, which is the new orthoevra, you just wear one patch every week. Easy to remember.

Last, but not least, is another form of birth control that REALLY needs to be impressed upon people. The morning after pill. If the condom breaks, or if you make a mistake without being regular on birth control, you take a series of pills within 72 hours that can prevent pregnancy. The effectiveness goes down as each day and hour passes, but is over 90% effective within the first 24 hours. This is NOT the abortion pill, which many right-wing right-to-lifers confuse it with. It does the same exact thing as regular birth control, it just prevents ovulation. I think this should be over-the-counter, easy to access, and in fact girls should keep it in their drawer just in case.

Speaking of the right-to-lifers, I must say I lean republican, but there are certain aspects of conservatives I can't stand. One is the NRA, bunch of nutcases. The other is right-to-life, some of whom think all forms of contraception should not exist, they say abortion is murder, and they try to shut down Planned Parenthood. They are unrealistic, by saying there should be abstinence instead of birth control. Well... first, we live in a world where that's not going to happen. So instead of saying everyone SHOULD be abstinent, we should acknowledge that the majority won't be, and there needs to be every tool available to them to prevent unwanted pregnancy, especially teenagers. And Planned Parenthood is one of the great organizations in America, who are under-funded and help out anyone they can. In fact, in California, it's one of the only places you can find the morning after pill, because hospitals usually only give it out as part of a rape kit, pharmacies don't carry it, so you have to go to Planned Parenthood.

As for post-conception options, there are a few. One, abortion. Two, adoption. And three, keep the child. I feel that abortion is a last resort, and I'd prefer it not be done, but definitely it should remain an option. I think adoption is the best possible avenue for a pregnant young woman who has little support, is going to school, and basically having a child would not only ruin her life, but would be tough on the child. I've heard people say "Well, she got pregnant, she should learn to deal with it." That seems so wrong to me, to say because a mistake was made that she should be "punished" by keeping the child. Both are going to have a hard time. I say adoption is the best chance for the kid. Keeping the child should be the main option for anyone who has the finances and support, are not in school, that kind of thing. And if they feel completely up to it, there is a father figure, then best of luck. The best way to go about it is imagine what is best for the kid. Abortion I see as viable for health reasons, someone who could be in danger by going through with pregnancy and giving birth, or say like a rape victim. There's nothing she could do about it, and who really wants to spread around the genes of a rapist? The biggest problem with abortion is that there are emotional side-effects on the woman. And I don't necessarily see killing an embryo as being murder, I just can't see it. Then again, I'd rather it not happen anyway, I do see life as valuable.

Anyway, let's discuss this. Everything I just said is from my opinion and what I've heard. This is a spur of the moment post, I didn't really feel like researching. If I did research it, you'd see a bunch of names of birth control stuff and more statistics. Feel free to share any statistics and such.
Recently, my gf has had to have the final of all operations that prevents any of this being a worry. And whilst it is quite a tromatic event, and takes some getting used to, it is the most effective method, since there's nothing there that can become pregnant.
wrong,wrong,wrong, I am anti abortion from the get go, except where the mother is endangered. If you are worried about pregnancy from any source, than you should take precautions. The potential person being born should not be faulted for something they had no cause. If being a parent is not for an individual, be responsible enough not to create what you don't want. I'm not accepting that since its happening that it is acceptable(people are murdered everyday and I will never pretend it is okay).
A sad fact is that it is the woman that is mainly responsible for the pregnancy(not the getting pregnant, and that brings up an entirely new topic on which I would love to take out any worthless human that wouldn't take care of their kids).
I believe that the more we become insensitive to happenings such as this, the more right or left wing we will go, because the middle ground has given up. We are already a group of selfish people, (look at how many people are willing to face life or death in prison because they have given up all values of respect for themselves, their family or others.
I've got to stop, just one thing left: If you are not ready for the time, don't do the crime.
jabbahunt,Aug 3 2003, 03:55 PM Wrote:wrong,wrong,wrong
I respect your opinion. My favorite teacher was major anti-abortion. But, no offense, I'd prefer you not say that someone else is "wrong" in a debate, unless it is literally wrong, like statistics or factual statements. I am not wrong, I carry a different opinion, one that I'm sure many conservatives disagree with.
I don't mean to offend ya G-buddy, I meant for it to start out as abortion is wrong, wrong, wrong, not you for your feelings. I will agree to disagree with you, but in reality I am very much a liberal for people and rights to live however they wish to live as long as they are not causing others harm, but then I become very conservative or staunch to the defense of the others being harmed, being that it is the humans that I hold responsible, I probably am regarded as conservative, and when the bears and deers and such start then I guess I'll be liberal.
An interesting fact in the abortion debate is that the percentage of college kids at strict religious universities getting an abortion is about the same as secular universities. Seems the kids' families are so against any type of contraception (as g-boy pointed out) that they are afraid of the condemnation of fornication so they opt for an abortion.

The responsibility of contraception belongs to both parties. I personally believe the male has a greater responsibility for the reason he does not carry the baby.

I would like to see no abortions performed, but not by law but by choice.
Ok, just misunderstood jabba :thumb:

I would agree that it is more the male's responsibility if the male had the ability to be responsible about it. Unless he force-feeds his significant other the birth control pill every day at the same time, it is her responsibility. If condoms were nearly as effective, then yes, it should probably be on the man more. However, it should be for both parties. Condom with birth control is pretty much foolproof.
I was gonna say, that and that if it was in response to what I wrote, then you've misunderstood what my gf has just gone through. :/
i assumed your gf has had a hysterectomy.
Rape.
The partners don't need to be in a sexual relationship either if there's any "force feeding" going on at all.

I'm a big believer that the guy doesn't have to go on spreading his seed like he's on some sort of predestined mission of world repopulation.

I'm not saying that it's so simple to just turn off the urge as if with the flick of a switch. But I personally haven't found it that difficult to refrain from reacting to sexual temptations from people, much less suggesting the actions take place.
that's true in my case too...i don't go out on the 'prowl' as it were...but i've had a few buddies that seriously had a libido problem. it's like they will die if they don't have sex w/ a new girl every week.
well, they know where they can stick that idea...
Blah. Is that a joke or an offer, net...? :blink:

Hahahahah, just kidding of course. ^_^
I'm sorry, I can't divuldge that information for fear of self-incrimination