Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Half-Life 2 and E3 2004
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18050

Quote:It's quite possibly gone unnoticed, but I sent an e-mail to Doug and got a reply back.
Quote:Originally Posted by Chris_D
Will Valve be making a presentation at E3 again this year?

Most likely, though nothing final to announce right now.

E3 is in May 2004. The hoped release for the game is April 2004. As Fragmaster has just pointed out on www.planethalflife.com; they never show released games at E3.

That means Vivendi's release schedule change was right and now the current release date is TBC 2004... We may not even see it until September 30th... again.

I'm not completely heartbroken by this though. As we all know, the history of HL1 followed a very similar pattern. They started making it, scrapped it, delayed it (by a year) and then released it; only for it to be the best PC game ever in terms of gameplay and lastability. If it gets delayed - it'll be for all the right reasons.

Hes right released games are not shown at E3, so if this is true I don't know if I will bother with half-life 2 at all. By the time it will be released, there will be newer better games out. I'll just wait I suppose and check out any demos they might put out.
perhaps, but you never know what valve is up to these days. they could be tweaking the engine and making general improvements or completely making a different game. if they are going to release hl2 with 1 year old technology, i probably won't consider purchasing hl2 either. if they are just going to release a finished version of the beta that was leaked, they are toast. from what i hear, the doom 3 alpha was a lot better than the hl2 beta and i'm sure they realize this. i, personally, don't think they are all preoccupied with steam over there and they say (not that you should believe them at this point) that cs:cz is finished and is in vivendi's hands. well, that basically leaves hl2. how long does it take to slap on some textures?:huh:

as for id, their game is probably going to be easily modable. i'm sure they have taken notice at how the hl mod community has kept valve afloat long after interest has died in hl itself. natural selection on the doom 3 engine anyone?
Valve will pull out of their little rutt. They always have, and this will be no different.
Actually released games have been at E3 before. It doesn't happen often but there there has been cases in the past if a game has come out in the weeks leading up to E3.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
valve is turning into blizzard and it is pissing me off. of course im gonna buy half life 2, regardless of when it comes out, but i'll never feel the same about valve, which was looking like a god up until last year.
It seems that all the higly anticipated games get delayed anyway, i dont tend to lose respect for the company. I am however loseing respect for vavle because of steam. <_<
I have basically lost respect for valve for these reasons..

Steam (need I say more about this)

Not coming through on not just one release date but many (HL2, CS:CZ, TF2)

Waiting till AFTER the date passed when a game was suppose to be released and then saying its going to be delayed or not saying anything at all (anyone remember valve saying HL2 Holidays 2003)

No real press releases, just a few odds and ends e-mails to some sites (even thou some of those sites are pretty big)

The tech demo from what I heard was "fudged". They preprogramed the game to do certain things so it looked like it was a smart AI.

They keep saying "in just a few weeks" for different things but its been months for most of that stuff.

CS:CZ from what I have seen in screenshots is just a slightly upgraded half-life game engine. Graphics look a little better but thats and a few new items added in.
cs:cz wouldve made sense if it had come out when it was supposed to. but having HL2 come out near the same time as an HL1 engine game seems pointles. Granted, i know hl2 isnt out yet. But the screenshots on planethalflife for CS:CZ are amazingly unimpressive because it just looks like CS 1.6 with more maps.

on a side not, i remember walking into a babbages in August of 2002 and asking when CZ was coming out.
"10 more days!" the clerk said.
"Would you like to reserve a copy?"
I was so lucky that I didn't have enough on me, because I would've done it.