Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Half-Life 2 NOT going to be Pay to play
Nice little post over on http://www.planethalflife.com Its a response to a letter to Gabe Newell.

Quote:A fan by the name of Kamakiri mailed Valve's Gabe Newell about those "pay to play" rumors, and received the following response (which has been confirmed as being legit):
As I'm sure you are aware the HL2 community is going crazy with the rumour that HL2 is going to be like a MMORPG and you will have to pay a fee each month via Steam to play HL2 multiplayer.
I don't believe this to be true but can you please put it to rest once and for all. PLEEEEEEASE.

Gabe Newell: Here's my current thinking: Some people want to buy Half-Life 2 in a store. Right now we have three SKUs planned at three price points. One will have single-player only and not play MODs and we think of that as the mass market SKU (sold mainly at the Costcos and Walmarts of the world). The second is our traditional single-player plus multiplayer SKU that runs MODs and is sold at places like EBX. The third is the collector's edition SKU with lots of cool bonus stuff for people who like cool bonus stuff.

In the Steam world, some people will want to buy it once, like the middle SKU above. Other people will want to buy the game on subscription (e.g. $9.95/month). The good news for the "buy it once" crowd is, well, they only have to pay once. The bad news is that when we come out with new content (expansion products, TF 2, and presumably other games) then they have to pay separately for those. We're pretty sure that the $9.95 guys are going to get the better value, as we've been pretty good over the years at generating a lot of content.

Now nobody has done this before, so we're scratching our heads and massaging the plans to make sure we've got the best set of options. We've had some feedback that we should sell the top SKU (single-player only no MODs) on Steam, and my reaction has been "yeah, right, for the three people in the world who have a broadband connection, are sophisticated enough to purchase software over the Internet, but DON'T want to play MODs and multiplayer". Some people have said "I want a subscription, but I think the box and the manual are cool, so what about sending me those" and I think that's pretty interesting and we're trying to figure out what to do for them (needless to say Sierra isn't exactly jumping for joy at the idea of selling us boxes so people don't buy Half-Life 2 in stores).

But nowhere has there been a suggestion that people pay in the store and then pay a monthly fee on top of that a la the MMORPG.

And Gabe makes this follow-up response in this forum thread:
The various SKUs will be available at the other stores. It's just how we think of them (we think of the lowest price one as the "Walmart" SKU even though Walmart will probably be the biggest single seller of all three SKUs given their volume).
TF2 isn't a MOD, correct. However the subscription will be for anything we make. So when TF2 ships, the subscribers get it as part of their subscription.

We've been talking with retailers about the retail SKUs for a long time. Steam pricing was what I was trying to explain. Steam options seemed to require an explanation of the retail SKUs.

This clears up a lot, and I think this is the first public mention of the collector's special super edition. Oh, if you don't know what an SKU is, "SKU stands for Stock Keeping Unit and is a number associated with a product for inventory purposes. Each product must have a SKU, and each SKU must be unique."
Interesting read. so right off the bat there is gonna be 3 different versions of Half-Life 2. Single player only, single/multi-player edition and a special edition with everything and more (hmm wonder what the extra stuff is)
Definetly bustin out the big bux and goin for all the extra stuff.. I want it all:D
the "extra bonus' " is gonna be extra maps\clips stuff along those longs
I want em I want em!! :D:D
How much is that all gonna be again?! Oh, and if the mods are free... then after four months of playing... we've already paid less than the subscribers if it's 35 that we pay for the Single Player + Multiplayer.
nobody knows the price..so say single+multiplayer will prob cost between 50-80 bucks...plus if the mods want you to pay for them..there's another 20-40 bucks
So expensive..but its worth it...
And in canadian funds thats like 70-100, seriously, its crazy. I think i'll wait for a price drop from valve before picking it up, or it exeding my expectations and i have the cash burning a whole in my bank statement.
I still need to get a new video card before it so, I might not be able to get it for at least a month after its release. I might wait till after x-mas when the price drops, but I don't know. Maybe if I have a little windfall of cash I will get it.
I'll just wait until my usual gaming friend doesn't wanna play it no more... *cough*.
I don't see there being a price drop that early on a game that is going to sell at breakneck speed. In addition to all of the differant pricing strutures there will be no point in droping the price. You could always just buy the single player version which will be the cheapest. Then later on when you get the money buy the multiplayer over on Steam.
[Image: b_560x95.png]