Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CS:S to be HL2's only multiplayer...
There is an interview over at http://www.halflife2.net with a guy doing the review of Half-Life 2 where they mention that CS:S will be the only multiplayer part to HL2

Quote:Icarus: Does it have multiplayer, if so what are they?
Chuck Osborn: Counter-Strike Source is the multiplayer

Icarus: Only CS:S, no Deathmatch?
Chuck Osborn: Only CS:S

If this is true then in my eyes HL2 will not be worth buying. I'm not a big fan of CS and I'm not a big fan of single player either. So if this is true, unless you are a huge CS fan and like to play single player over and over again I would not bother with HL2 at all.

Again I say "IF" because none of this is really confirmed by Valve (like that would ever happen they have told us lots of little and big lies that keep adding up against them) its some guy from PCgamer mag.

Here is the whole interview..

Quote:Today I was able to get a World Exclusive Interview with the man that reviewed Half-Life 2 first, Senior Editor Chuck Osborn from PCGamer. So let’s just get straight to it.

Icarus: What was your reaction when you found out you would be the first to review Half-Life 2?
Chuck Osborn: It was a mixture of excitement and trepidation, because of the responsibility of being the first one to review it.

Icarus: Was Half-Life 2 what you expected?
Chuck Osborn: More

Icarus: Was it worth the wait?
Chuck Osborn: Absolutely

Icarus: How long is the review?
Chuck Osborn: Nine pages, plus we have a four page story telling you what you need to know about running Half-Life 2 on your system.

Icarus: Did it seem dated?
Chuck Osborn: Not at all.

Icarus: Are there any spoilers in the review?
Chuck Osborn: There are some mild spoilers, because you can’t review it without giving away something. I say very clearly when to stop reading if you don’t want to know anything. If you read the entire review, there are a lot of surprises I don’t talk about, because I want you to be surprised. This is not a spoiler review.

Icarus: Does it have multiplayer, if so what are they?
Chuck Osborn: Counter-Strike Source is the multiplayer.

Icarus: Only CS:S, no Deathmatch?
Chuck Osborn: Only CS:S

Icarus: Has it (CS:S) changed any from Beta?
Chuck Osborn: It’s what they say it’s going to be, but with a few surprises

Icarus: Who did you get to play it with?
Chuck Osborn: Valve as well as playing in within our own offices

Icarus: Did you get to play HL Source?
Chuck Osborn: Yes.

Icarus: Can you tell me anything about HL:Source?
Chuck Osborn: Nope

Icarus: Is it (HL:S) included in the review?
Chuck Osborn: Yes, it's discussed in a sidebar along with a few screenshots.

Icarus: Anything you want to say the users before I go?
Chuck Osborn: I'm just glad I don't have to keep my playing Half-Life 2 a secret anymore! It was killing me. Trust me...you won't be disappointed.
Won't bother me as much especially since I'm sure someone will just make a HL2 DM mod. The guy could also be under an NDA.

HL2 single player will be great. Good enough to play through once or twice like most single player FPS games. You honestly think anybody in the long run is going to care about HL2 not coming with DM? People are buying it for CS:Source and the mods.

Popularity of standard deathmatch is a thing of the past. It has it's niche still, but team games are becoming the norm nowadays.

I don't see your logic in not buying it just because it deosn't come with DM. I mean I never saw you care about HLDM from the original HL. I still play it occasionally , but HLDM dropped off in popularity once CS and TFC first came out.

The thing I'm looking forward to is the Source engine itself. That alone will make the SP potion of the game that more immersive and a look into what future games will be dealing with.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
This is fine with me. They're still allowing others to make make third party mods, right? We have some coders here, maybe someone will step up and make the Ricochet mod for HL2:)

I don't wanna see this mod die.
I actually used to play HLDM alot before Ricochet came along.

The reason I said "in my eyes HL2 will not be worth buying" was said right after it. "I'm not a big fan of CS and I'm not a big fan of single player either".

I only play CS when other from the Vadavaka community are playing and even then its rare. And I don't feel that 1 or 2 plays of single player are worth my 60 to 80 bucks Canadian. I played HL single player something like 4 years after I first bought HL. The reason I bought HL was for the multiplayer aspect of the game. I hate bots they are either too stupid or too good. Up till Ricochet came out, I only played HLDM and TFC.

I guess I should have put "I would hold off untill there are some half decent mods out for it before buying it."

I also do have a lot of IFs in there (not that anyone notices) I have heard other wise that there will be HL2 DM. I do agree that he could be under an NDA, again thats why I have ifs in there.
The games that are missing are probably included in the Collector's Edition (SE?).
t|'.'t|
No, CS is the only OFFICIAL mod for HL2, at least for now (who knows, maybe somebody will make a great mod for HL2 using that sweet engine, just like CS was first a third party mod for HL), the collector's edition, which I think is that big pack that was recently announced, comes with HL2 single player, HL1 re-made with the source engine, CS: Source, and a HL2 t-shirt (XL size only).

edit: Personally, I think $80 is way too much for this pack, what I'm most likely going to do (hope it isn't against the rules discussing this here) is only buy CS:Source so I can play online, and just download HL2 since it's only single-player anyway. If you need HL2 single player to play third party mods, and some good ones come out, I guess I'll eventually buy it, too. It will most likely be cheaper by then.
lol ricochet: Source. realistic decapatation action! Bodies fly like rag dolls from the push disc! lol..imagine ricochet if there was gore. a head goes flying and blood sprays over the pads.:P