Poll: Would you get Half-Life 2 if it was pay to play?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
22.22%
4 22.22%
No
66.67%
12 66.67%
Yes but only as long as you can do IP games for free
11.11%
2 11.11%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you get Half-Life 2 if it was pay to play?
I just read over on http://www.planethalflife.com about another site ( http://www.halflife.nu/artiklar/?id=70 ) that is saying something about Half-Life 2 might be pay to play.

For all those that don't know what Pay to Play is...

Pay to play is basically when a company offers a game but the only way you can play it is if you pay an average of 10 bucks USD a month. There are some games that you have to still buy the software for it to be able to play like this and that software can cost around 40 to 50 bucks USD.

Plus side... well really there is no plus side for the people that want to play the game, but the company rakes in tons of money and that might mean that they might do another game in the future.

Bad side....

If not enough people play the game servers are shut down.

There usually is no other way to play the game except on the servers provided by the company, there usually isn't even a single player mode to use.

First year of play costs about 120 to 160 bucks USD or more and each year of play after that costs about 120 bucks USD. (This is the average price I have seen for all pay to play games) So with say a 5 year run you could put out from 600 bucks USD to about 640 USD. If you stick with the game that long.

I am personally 100% against pay to play games, mainly for the reasons above. I was part of a beta for a pay to play game (and asked to be a beta tester for another one) The one that I was testing was just all of a sudden closed down because the bigwigs didn't see that much profit would be coming from it when it was finally released. The other one I was just not interested in.

I hate these kinds of games because if I sink my hard earned cash into a game and I like it, I don't want to be told someday 2 to 6 months down the road or what ever that I can't play the game any more because the company that is making it isn't seeing any profits from it.

I want to be able to pick the game up 5 years from now, start playing it on my own or meet up with a few friends and have a fun time. In 5 years I will be able to have Half-Life installed on my computer, start it up and kill some aliens even if I am the last person playing it.

I have old games now that I could install and go play that are 7 to 10 years old.

So if it is true that Half-Life 2 will be pay to play, I will not be buying it.

Messages In This Thread
Would you get Half-Life 2 if it was pay to play? - by Gwarsbane - 08-31-2003, 11:21 PM
Would you get Half-Life 2 if it was pay to play? - by Guest - 09-03-2003, 03:13 PM