Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats better.. new skool or old skool
I just came onto the forums as of late. I see no one responded to this question. I think, Antix the reason is that old and new are so relative. I am 26 so old school to me goes back to mid 80's. To some of these younger kids... old school is mid 90's. There are some I would guess here on the server who even go back to mid 70's!

Second, remember that today's music is just tomorrow's old school. Maybe you and I just don't connect with new music as we hear it for the first time. I find that I will sometimes go back and re-listen to stuff 2-3 year after its release and go... hey this is cool shit! Then I go back and buy all their stuff like a bandwagoner. Pantera for instance. I even saw them in concert and thought.. these guys are ok. Then later I got way into them and now I would love to see them again. I would describe them as old school for the record.

As for rap and such, I am all about old school. NWA, BDP, The Beastie Boys (needless to say), Digital Underground, Ice Cube, Run DMC etc. Great stuff.
Metal is in the air. I reeally like a lot of the new stuff in System of a Down, Sevendust, Tool (new school and old), SLipknot, and others. At the same time I really dig older stuff in Metallica, Ministry, and even some hair bands.

We have more access to music now. More bands have ways to be reached online, more stations on the radio, etc. I don't mean radio in the traditional sense, but with internet radio and satelite radio. With 10 times the bands, we will hear 10 times the crap we don't like. We still tend to pick only a few bands out to like and follow even though we have more to listen to. We pick our few and call the rest crap. We did that before, too. The difference is before somone else made part of ther decision, not allowing certain bands to be heard. If I want to make a song with just a drum machine, a keyboard and a microphone, I can. Then I can post it online on my website, Kazaa, mp3.com, etc. And no record company executive is going to tell me I suck. At leat not until I ask. Many of these bands reach you unfiltered.

I think that with all of that said, the really good stuff will still emerge. There is good new school music out there for us. We just have to wade through all the rest.

Beastie

Messages In This Thread
Whats better.. new skool or old skool - by AnTiX - 04-06-2003, 02:21 PM
Whats better.. new skool or old skool - by Beastie - 05-01-2003, 02:26 AM
Whats better.. new skool or old skool - by AnTiX - 07-14-2003, 05:59 AM
Whats better.. new skool or old skool - by Scrye - 07-14-2003, 06:42 AM
Whats better.. new skool or old skool - by PIX - 07-14-2003, 07:39 AM
Whats better.. new skool or old skool - by AnTiX - 07-14-2003, 08:05 AM
Whats better.. new skool or old skool - by Scrye - 07-14-2003, 07:27 PM
Whats better.. new skool or old skool - by AnTiX - 07-14-2003, 07:45 PM
Whats better.. new skool or old skool - by Scrye - 07-14-2003, 11:53 PM
Whats better.. new skool or old skool - by AnTiX - 07-15-2003, 08:39 PM