Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I hate to be the straw that stirs the drink, but..
i agree w/ the pledge itself. mass consumerism is a problem in america. are you aware of how much advertising they throw in our face on a daily basis?...it's truly sickening. if they could find a way to tatoo 'pepsi' on your dick w/o your knowledge, they would do it. i think it's truly more serious than most people realize...we are, perhaps literally, becoming enslaved...and that's NOT the america i want.

i disagree w/ the attitude: "well, that's capitalism for ya". perverted is what it is. we can have a succesful free-market society w/o the constant manipulation and shady doings.

i think, as americans, we tend to define ourselves by what we own (even the brand-name of what we own)...and i think it's unhealthy. it seems like every one around me is driving some huge suv (i live in utah, so i feel your pain sage...:D). do they need a suv? nope. but their neighbors have one so they want an even bigger one. this girl was talking to me after class, one time, about how bad bush is for not signing the kyoto treaty and how awful it was that he wanted to drill for oil in the arctic wildlife reserve...then i saw her climb in the biggest f'n gas guzzlin' suv i had ever seen. i guess it's okay to put an eyesore of an oil-rig and pollute the natural landscape of someone else's country as long as we look good in our new rides ;). hmm...

we've heard it before...we don't always (if ever) practice it...but it's important that we conserve and recycle. we need to help protect our environment...especially one as beautiful and diverse as america's. we can do more.

anyways sage: i praise you for bringing it up...it's important. i curse you for bringing it up right now though. let's have some fun friday...shoot some fireworks and drink some beer. i'll take my country back saturday...^_^

btw, it may be better to place this thread under 'debates'...i think this is the kind of thing it's for.

Messages In This Thread
I hate to be the straw that stirs the drink, but.. - by kermit - 07-04-2003, 06:23 AM
I hate to be the straw that stirs the drink, but.. - by Guest - 10-03-2003, 01:38 PM