Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I hate to be the straw that stirs the drink, but..
I love the irony that many liberals criticize the middle east actions we are taking because we are doing it for oil, and then they say it's bad to drill in Alaska or whatever. Ok... well, first of all, we have plenty of oil for now, that we don't need to go into the middle east for it. Second, if we needed it from either Alaska or the middle east, what is the problem here? I am all for recycling, the environment, and alternative fuels. We will run out of fossil fuels in our lifetime, no doubt. I love science and technology, and I think we really need to get this stuff out there. But guess what? Right now, oil is what makes the world go 'round. There is NOTHING you can do about that. When the technology is tested and massively available, we will slowly make the conversion, and we'll get through it. But you cannot just say "don't drill for oil" in the meantime, because how are you going to get around? How are you going to take that vacation to Tahiti?
And don't worry about those SUVs. It costs the same money to run those vehicles as any other, meaning they pay the same amount for every gallon they use. So whether SUVs were around or not, gas would still get consumed at the amount someone could afford. Maybe it's just more quickly now. New laws that are slowly going to be implemented will make it essentially impossible to own an SUV anyway. Don't think our government isn't aware of the oil problems... they are. They'd rather not go around saying "OMG, we're running out of oil, we have to find alternatives or we're all going to die!"
Anyway, I'm sorry you don't like the "that's capitalism for ya" thing, but it's the truth. No one said it's good for these companies to do illegal activities. But if you're a smart person, you ignore the advertisements for the most part, they are aimed towards other people. I don't like tobacco companies and such, but you can't say America is going down the tube just because of what big companies do. Inherently with capitalism, stuff like this will end up happening. It's easy to say we can have a free-market system without all of this, but it's not gonna happen. Sure, there is more you can do. Read my last post, get a good job that you can work it from within the system. Don't get a rebellious attitude toward the government, that accomplishes nothing. You have to support what you want and work towards it, work positively, don't work against what you don't want, don't work negatively. To me, it's like when either the Lakers or the Kings go to another city, they'll have banners and chants that say "Beat LA!" and it annoys me. That's because of a team visits LA, we say "Go Lakers!" or "Go Kings Go!" we don't say "Beat Portland" or "Beat Dallas!" We want our team to win, not the other team to lose. So I think it's annoying when people go around trying to bring down everything, when really what they need to do is support a non-combative cause.

Messages In This Thread
I hate to be the straw that stirs the drink, but.. - by g-boy - 07-04-2003, 02:22 PM
I hate to be the straw that stirs the drink, but.. - by Guest - 10-03-2003, 01:38 PM