Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Error
This morning I turned steam on and updated and worked fine. I guess later my mom came on and turned it off..I don't know but when I went to turn it back on so I could play some I got this...

Damn that attachment is huge..lol

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

reboot try again ? and check the log files.

chances are it's got a bug.
Quick...

You should always leave your PC on....never shut it down unless you plan to be away for 2 or more days.
I'll give you the scenerio again," When do you usually blow a light bulb? When you first cut it on." Turning
it on and off and on and off can cause pretty bad initial surges to the motherboard and such. PC's don't
use that much juice anyway....mostly the monitor does. Just power off the monitor when you leave.
Well what about at night and then in the afternoon again? I turn it off around 11 PM, and then turn it back on at like 3 30 the next day.
They are made to keep on running. Leave it on. If you want to, you can put a timed sleep mode on the hard drive to make it stop spinup and reduce wear.

Leave it on and turn off the monitor.

HOWEVER!!!!

If you have broadband and NO firewall....YOU are playing with bad habits....I would turn it off any chance I got with that scenerio.
Well we didn't shut it off..just turned Steam off..but you don't have any idea why it would be doin this?
Steam Startup Fix Released
December 18, 2003, 1:21 pm · Greg Coomer

After yesterday's release, Steam was crashing for some users on startup. A fix for this problem has just been released. When you restart Steam, you'll automatically download the fixed version. As always, let us know if you run into problems.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
um, and if you don't want to turn off, just unplug broadband as I do.
Excellent idea muh brutha.
so how do you put that timed sleep mode on the HD?
Right click anywhere on your desktop to get popup window...select Properties.

Click the Screen Saver tab at the top and then click the Power button at the bottom.

In the Power Schemes tab you will see Settings for Home/Office Desk power scheme.

One should be for setting the monitor and the other should be for hard disks.