Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sven Co-op
For the past couple years I always heard about it but was too lazy to try it out until now. I think it is a great mod. I like how the maps play out like a story. The teamwork is great on most of the maps. Helping each other with a boost to get to certain areas or with giving medpacks to each other. Most of the weapons are your standard fare HL ones. There are a few weapons that are exclusive to Sven though. Do not try playing rambo in this as you will die a quick death most of the time. It works great on Steam too. I recommend this to anybody looking for a good teamplay mod or a change from the usual DM or round based mods.

I lost track of time last night and played it for almost 3 hours straight.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
the new version is great. you can tell that the enemy AI is improved from before. the other night, two guys came in and we diligently finished all of toonrun and afrikacorps. toonrun was a great map before, but wow, it's like twice as fun now with new monsters and extended play. i can't wait to play the resident evil levels also.

it is a good teamplay mod and it's great to play a multiplayer game that isn't all that competitive. the only problem is that it can take a while sometimes to find a good low flux server (i bet the AI really lags servers running on low-end machines). i really recommend it to people who liked playing the sp half-life. some of the maps even take place in the black-mesa universe and have a plot involving g-man.

feel free to add me to your friends list if you want to play sometime on steam (.asm)
Yeah that mod is awesome. The new version is released?? 3.0 or whatever... hmm I better go dl it then. I've played sven coop longer than ricochet ^_^. Anyone playing it on Won :unsure:

EDIT: Doh why cant mod makers do a update from the last version.... like 2.1->3.0 grrr.
Errrr..... I take my edit words back :P they do hav a 2.1 -> 3.0.
So far the only map that really annoys me is Sandstone. The respawning enemies and the fact that the engineer isn't the most easy person to work with. I wish the respawn time on the enemies was a little longer.

Also I see that people don't stick together as a team as much on that map since it's more wide open than others. If everyone stays together along with the engineer and the medic it makes it a much easier process. Every server I've been on so far has like 3 people going one way another 2 somewhere else and 4 going the opposite. You will never win the map unless the majority of players stick together on that map.

Another map our team failed yesterday was a tough one. It was my first time playing so I forget the name of it. We failed to save Chubby the Chumtoad (or whatever his name was) we all ran out of space to walk on. Plus we got smashed alot due to people standing in the wrong areas.
yeah, sandstone is tough. the repawning enemies make up much of the difficulty. frankly, i played that map like three times and have never had the engineer blow up anything. i'm not even sure if i had ever even seen a target. once going down some stairs, though, the engineer started hauling butt to somwewhere. he got his ass picked off because my team and i were playing retarted but i bet he was going to a target...fustrating.

i've played that chummy map (i don't know the name either) half a dozen times and someone always screws up so that we lose the map. >_<
The targets in Sandstone are those black barrels. I think there are 9 of them. The problem is that just when the engineer get to them an enemy comes out of the door and it diverts his attention.
i seriously dont like the newer version, but maybe its cause i dont like change. It kinda feels like how ns 1.4 -> 2.0...there's no more rambo...and im a rambo. I used to clear svencoop maps alone usually with a little help...now you HAVE to use your mates. I like the new mapping features tho.
Yes well I think sven-coop was MEANT to be team based playing thats what coop means :PGo play hl dm or somthing like that.
I understand that certain enemies should be tough. The human ones though should not have to take almost 2 full clips to die.

I was playing on a server last night that was running some custom maps and they had regular Bullsquids and Alien Slaves with 9000 hit points. That was annoying.

I have yet to play the Stadium3 map fully as it seems to bring servers to a screeching halt or shoot everyone's ping into the thousands.

I just hope Valve doesn't screw it up too much once it becomes an official mod shortly.

So far here are the 2 servers I have been mostly on if anyone is interested:

TheVille.org X Sven 3.0 IP 66.178.161.133:27015 If that one crashes then I go to

Frenchys Sven3.0 Pit IP 69.13.118.21:27017
Yeh last night I checked it out with PnG and .asm. Its deffineltly different compared to my game (TS, dod, rc) BUt it was fun and I was 3rd in the server so I guess I did ok my first time playing. Yeh I didn't like have to snipe the assasins like 3 times to get them to die. I even got direct headshots on some of them, and still nothing.;) I like the game though and will for sure join someone if they are playing.
Theres a file in sven-coop directory called skill.cfg there u can adjust all enemy hit points and weapons damage. So you can put like 100000 hp for regulars if you want.
i remember sp hl being that way with grunts taking lotsa damage before they die. two headshots with the .357 does them in i think. i think the reasoning behind it is, if the enemies had more realistic damage, and they didn't respawn a lot, then it would be almost too easy if you had say a dozen players on a map. i think you either have to have it the way it is or have a lot more enemies but that would be even rougher on a server i imagine...and it gets pretty rough already.

it's cool that some people around here are playing sven-coop. i been playing on won for many months now and it was lonely...^_^i would play on won with you morning star, but i'm running out of hard drive space and i prefer steam for almost everything except ricochet.
Sven-Coop is by far one of the greatest mods ever created (in my opinion at least). I too finished Toonland on that same day that asm did I wonder if I was there do you remember "ko33" being there as I use that alias for everything except for ricochet. I especially like the "megamonstermassacre" map which was a favorite of mine back in the old sven-coop days and still is. For some reason I cant play the svencooprpg maps because every time I go to pick up the sword it locks up on me. Im gonna re-download the map pack and see if it fixes my problem. But if you see me playing I'll probably be playing as ko33.
lol megamonster in the "old" coop days? mega is fairly new. but in regards to the difficulty, i think it they should have made it scaled to the number of players (monsters health that is...or even weapon damage too) as in more players = more health monsters have...i cant stand playing sandstone...wasting 2 full clips to kill a grunt..have the engineer run over to the barrals and just as hes about there an enemy comes out the door and kills the engineer (as the dumbass isn't planting the bomb and running towards the enemy) before i can pump 2 more clips into the enemy.
yeah, sandstone is a great looking map but it's way too hard for me. i didn't see you wanksta but i'm sure you would have seen me...i go by .asm in all games except for ricochet where i have the "[*RiP*]kermit" prefix.

i think one of my favorite maps in the 2.1 days is hlplanet, primarily cuz it was easy. i wonder if they made a new version of it for 3.0. anyways, i'm always up for megamonsters....^_^. the model animation is so bad on that map, it's good. like those giant 'banana peppers' that come floating at you. it's like if the director of 'attack of the killer tomatoes' made a svencoop map. and don't forget about that ludicrous plastic bubble of a spaceship at the end...so damn cheesy...haha.

i agree with pique about the scaling damage...that would make the game near-perfect imho.
Funny Day Yesterday:

There was this one guy going by the alias LLoyd and he didnt let us push buttons on his servers but instesd just rac around the entire outer square with no weapons. Me and another guy named Legato revolted and pushed buttons and he perma banned us. Then at the same time we both switched to ricochet and ended up at GRITS' site and from there we played for about another 30 minutes or so.

THE END
There are a couple posts talking about Sandstone on the Svencoop forums. Apparently there was an old beta version were players planted the C4 instead of having an engineer do it. There was talk about removing the engineer again and giving the bomb planting back to the players. They also talk about once the engineer blows up a section enemies will no longer respawn in that area.

If they want to keep the respawning enemies then the time should be longer between respawns I have not timed it myself but it seems like it is only like 10 seconds before another comes out the door after you kill one. Plus when the enginner walks as fast as a snail it makes it almost impossible to make it to a bomb site before more enemies appear behind you.

I like the idea of blowing up an area and having no more respawns after you clear it. That would get my vote.

The one server I play on removed it from rotation. I don't mind something being hard and having to fight for the win, but when it becomes so hard like Sandstone it just becomes annoying and not fun anymore.
i dont think the timer is on when the monster dies but i do notice that one doesn't pop out until that one dies. I say that because sometimes i kill one and it takes 10 seconds for anotehr to popup....other times i kill one and the door opens as soon as that guy hits the ground. Must be some weird svencoop trigger :blink: