Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steam updates coming...
http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=news

Quote:Steam Updates for the coming days
February 25, 2004, 1:51 pm · Erik Johnson

There will be a number of significant Steam events in the coming days.

The first will be a long-awaited Steam client release. The highlights from this release will be:

Offline Play
Account validation (via e-mail)
A new Half-Life 2 hardware survey
Support for purchasing games through Steam

There are a number of other small changes along with the ones listed above, as well as a number of changes planned out past the launch of Counter-Strike: Condition Zero.

Offline Play.... SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE FIRST RELEASE!!!!

Account Validation.... SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE FIRST RELEASE!!!!

HL2 hardware survey.... Not exactly sure what this is, if they are just asking people what they have thats kind of stupid seeing as how they already told people what it was going to require. Also seems like alot of people are like me and wating for the game to come out first then buy the hardware for it. Least thats what I was going to do, now I'm just going to aim for a newer video card and buy it. If HL2 can't be played on it, oh well guess i'll just go play other games.

Support for buying games through steam... I could care less about this, I would prefer to have a hard version on CD, with books and a way to prove that you are the owner of the stolen CD key. (Might as well say keys are gonna get stolen because we know that they are)
Some of the support for buying games through Steam was already there when Steam first came out. Go to to your Steam folder then to the Public folder you will see some files. I guess they are finally activating it.

I would rather the CD, manual, and box myself.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
I think idealy they should give you the option, or have both. There is a lot of convience to downloading of it, but there is too much risk if you have to format your hard drive.
formatting you drive isn't a problem since you can take the steam cache, etc. :-D Either that or find someone with a copy of Norton GHOST and back up your machine like you should!

:ph34r:runs to backup machine:ph34r: