Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CS-Nation To Interview Valve
This is over at http://www.planethalflife.com
Quote:A news post at CS-Nation informs their readers that they will be conducting an interviewing with Valve’s Erik Johnson. They set up a forum for anyone who wants to submit questions that they would like asked. Someone ask when HL2 will be released for me...

http://www.csnation.net/comments.php?id=6966
Quote:Valve Interview Help
DchozN @ 10:57 pm pst on 2/25/04 - interviews
The #Steam-Hangout Opers and as you can imagine, CS-Nation, are taking the steps in preparing an interview with none other than Valve themselves. However, there is no set date as questions are yet to be formulated in order for them to be asked. If you feel you have something worthy to contribute, and wish to have a question of your own answered by Valve, head on down through this link in order to submit! For the full details, you may want to check this. This is your opportunity to get involved, so get going before it is too late.

Here is the forums to ask the questions at...

http://valveinterview.globalgamingnetwork.net/

If you have questions that you want to ask Valve this might be your chance. I'm getting my list together :)
Here are the questions I have come up with so far, anyone want to add to my list?

01: Instead of having to go through the process of, making a demo, converting the demo to bmps and then having to convert the bmps into an AVI and trying to figure out how to get sound in there too, will we just be able to use 3rd party programs like Fraps http://www.fraps.com to make AVI videos with sound directly from half-life 2? I hope you do cause currently Fraps works very badly with half-life and drops the frame rate to only 1 or 2 frames per second but it would make capturing video with sound much easier.

02: Currently in Half-Life when someone talks on the mic the volume of the game gets adjusted. It gets cut in half (least it does for me), will this "feature" be removed or at least made optional in the future? Its one of the reasons I don't have mic turned on because my volume drops when someone talks and it makes game play annoying.

03: There are mods out there right now that give admins abilities to do stuff while playing in game, have you thought about adding in alot of the more popular features from these mods directly into the multiplayer part of the game?

04: There is currently a chat and team chat buttons in game, have you ever though of adding in a admin command button sto that admins can type in commands without having to open up the console? This button could be used by 3rd party mods to pass along the admin commands to the mod. Currently you miss stuff when you open up the console to do admin commands. This button could also display the admin command that you type in to all the admins so that only logged in admins can see these commands.

05: Are there any plans to update Ricochet anytime soon? The community for it might be small but its there and they are loyal to it. http://www.vadavaka.com

06: Have you considered bringing Ricochet over to Half-Life 2? The community for it might be small but its there and they are loyal to it. http://www.vadavaka.com

07: Have you thought about putting on a toggle switch for the steam console so that everything that goes through it, including chat can be directly put into a log file on the clients system?

08: Steam was suppose to take up less space then the current won version, but as it is, it takes up much more space depending on how many CD keys you have installed for steam. It takes up a even more space for each CD key/e-mail address gets its own folder. My current folder takes up 459 megs, if I used more then 1 CD key, because there was more then one person using my computer and they played the same games I played then each new CD key would take up 459 megs. Why not just have a single install like half-life is/was. Wouldn't that help keep down the space usage?

09: I know a few people that have legit CDs but can't play because someone out there registered their stolen CD key before the person with the legal key. Why did you impliment the CD key security with steam the way you did?

10: If I go out and buy half-life and half-life 2 but find that I can't register them because the CD key has already been stolen what will I be able to do about it? Can I return it to the store for a new copy? And if so will they send off that box back to you so that you can kill off that CD key so that we can stop people who steal CD keys from playing with those keys?

11: Why has valve waited so long to put in stuff like validation of e-mail address, ability to change your e-mail address signed up with and offline play when they should have been included in the alpha/beta?

12: Why does Vac ban for 5 years on the very first offence? There have been many people banned by Vac because they used a 3rd party mods like hlamp. Why not have a 3 step method. First ban is for a week. Second time someone is caught cheating ban is for a month or 2. Third time caught cheating then make it for 5 years. Also the e-mail sent to them should include what cheat(s) they were using, their IP, server they were on and a specific e-mail address where they can fight the banning.
It all looks good, not much I can add to that.
I would ask them if they would addopt the code fixes developed here if given to them in plain text (so they know what's going in) and with a description of where it goes. I know somebody over there cares about rico at least a little, otherwise you people wouldn't be here; 1.1.1.0 wouldn't have included it.
couple more questions I thought up

13: Will collusion detection be better in half-life 2 based games then it is now? Currently you can see guns and stuff poke through walls so it makes it easier to find people and to know where they are.

14: Will the camera view actually be where the head is in Half-Life 2? Currently the camera view is down more in the chest and alot of times when hiding behind something others can easily see and hit your head even thou you can't see them at all.

If you are going ask a question, ask it soon, I will be posting these up tomorrow. I will be more then happy to include any questions people come up with here.

Good idea Wha, i'll write that up and add it into he questions.
I'm surprised none of you are gonna ask him if they will take out capability in HL2 engine for awp and shields in any future versions of CS :P
will they take out the awps and ...

Will they keep rico on won? can they keep rico on won? Will they fix it? Will they pay us minimum wage to fix it? (im sure we would). Will they get their realease date figuired out for hl2? Can razor have his copy early? You should also say that the group who play ricochet are excentric millionares, with a few billionares.

Edit: Im not joking <_<
they probably wouldn't impliment code fixes and suggestions because they a] don't want to pay out anything and they may feel legally obligated to do so and b] they have the time to impliment the fixes... sure, but what about testing or what-not? if you were them, would you trust me? i don't even trust me, so there you have it.

we are probably just going to have to just wait until they fix things their own way...in their own time and that may be never. i would add it would be easier to get our fixes through the door if we had a comprehensive ricochet build and we don't. some of the things we whine about are still there. personally, i don't think anyone over there cares any longer about ricochet. why is ricochet included with steam? well, because ricochet has been reduced to a concrete example of 'how to make a half-life mod'...so has dmc (death-match classic), that's why the code is there to grab in the SDK. it doesn't matter if anyone actually plays ricochet to achieve that ends. the mods valve are interested in get their support. cs and tfc being obvious examples and since sven-coop is played by many valve staffers, sven-coop will soon benefit from auto-updates over steam. if there was a valve staffer who regularly played ricochet, we probably would have met him by now...unless they all lan it up or something.

so anyways, send them a plain text file or whatever and watch it get thrown in their collective recycling bin. personally, i think you are so wasting your time if you ask any question that relatetes to ricochet. it won't be entertained by cs-nation and it won't be given the dignity of an answer by valve.

do you think that there will be a ricochet2? did they make any money on ricochet?
do you think that there will be a significant update to ricochet? did they make any money on ricochet?

there you go...saved you the trouble of asking. having got my cynisism out of the way, maybe you should ask. if the questions are that important to you...and they are to me, it's always worth a shot. long-shots are better than no-shots.
The questions have been posted, lets see how many people try to shoot down ones I posted up. hehe

http://valveinterview.globalgamingnetwork....act=ST&f=2&t=38