Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
offline play
i have a question about the newly added 'offline play' feature of steam. at first, i thought it meant that i could play a single-player mod without 'connecting' to a server (i'm not sure if it actually puts the game online or not for whatever reason but it goes throught the motions anyway) but this is still an issue that came up when i was playing 'they hunger' tonight...as a matter of fact, this was worse as it 'conected' to a server every time i died in the game.

then i thought 'offline play' meant it added native bot support for valve mods...but i loaded up hldm and there was no option for adding bots.

i'm still going with my first theory of what 'offline play' means cause of the strange doings tonight with the progress bar and what not. so, how do i play my sp mods offline if this is true? i don't see an intuitive way to do it.

anyways, i would appreciate it if someone would fill me in on what 'offline play' actually means regarding steam and how to exploit it. i tried getting info from the steampowered forums but they were down cause there were too many users.

if this crap keeps up, i'm moving my sp mods back to my sierra folder. i figure since they don't depend on won, then it doesn't matter as to whether won is up or down or whatever. anyways, please help because i'm one of those rare souls who likes sp mods even more than mp mods (except for sven co-op...of course^_^).
To me off line play means you don't need an internet connection to play. It wouldn't add bots to a game. The game would already have to have bots in it. Basically if there is a single player game then it has the computer AI in there. They are not actually bots as far as I'm concerned because you can't turn them on during multiplayer games.

Again Valve screwed up big time. I figured that with this new e-mail thing they added that it would change the e-mail address you signed up with, but NO, it only changes the e-mail address where they send e-mails to.
when i exit steam, i get this msg:

'Exiting Steam this way will allow you to use 'Offline Mode' next time you start steam'

so, i am like "oh goodie...i'll just exit steam and start it up again...then there will be an option for me to choose 'Offline Mode'".

and then i restart steam and go " geez, nothing actually changed...it's the same damn thing"

so yeah, imagine the dissapointment. i guess you are right...it probably just means if your internet goes down, you can still use steam. that's good and all but that's not really what i'm after.

i'll fiddle with it a little tonight...i may just end up moving my sp mods back to my sierra/half-life folder.
I heard you need to be connected to the steam network to play offline, lmfao
Actually, if you read the message carefully enough, what it means is that you will still be able to log into the steam client and play your games locally without being connected to the internet. It does this by saving your login details locally on the machine. If you don't want them saved when you exit, you use the Exit and Logoff feature which will remove them as you exit.