Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Couldn't obtain WONID?
Quite often I'll want to play ricochet or counter-strike, and as I join a server it won't let me connect because it couldn't authenticate my WONID. Usually I can do two things... one, I can just try exiting HL and clicking on the shortcut to another HL mod, connect to one of those servers, and it should work, I exit the game and just join the server for the game I wanted in the first place. If that doesn't work, I just restart my computer and it works fine. Before you start thinking it's because someone else is using my CDkey, it's not. I have my own that no one else uses. It's just a weird error. Now, today I tried it, and when I connect, it sat on "Starting Network..." for like 2 mins, then finally told me it couldn't authenticate. That freeze has never happened. I tried a CS server, same thing. I restarted comp, same thing. I shut down, disconnected my cable modem and router, reconnected, turned on comp, same exact thing, except it froze on the countdown. Each time, if I wait it out, it says it can't authenticate. I'm gettin ticked because I wanna play a game to kill some time before going to a Kings game. Anyway, just wanna know if any of this happens to anyone else, and maybe I can get an answer here.
maybe someone hacked u and took your cd key and if its not it i have file that will fix it

Won has problem... u need to change the file that he is on valve folder
i will send u it in the Aim
You are not alone if you are talking about Thursday and Friday...I have heard so many people on all the different game servers say the same thing...."not authenticated" or "locked" in sign on. One player and I sat there and watched the servers for almost an hour and people could leave but noone was getting in no matter what the game was. I asked at least three different people to try to log on and everyone was getting the same message....must be a won.net problem:wacko:
It is a known bug. It was adressed to some degree with the last HL update, it solved it for me, but many still get it.
I could not get on any servers Thursday night. I saw people on the arena server but I could not get passed the WON Authentication part. I tried regular HLDM too same thing. It only lasted that night for me it worked on Friday for me and has since then.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
Well, no one stole my CDkey... because like just after I posted this, I played some PS2, had the computer turned off... I decided to check on AIM, turned on computer, was curious if the game worked, and I was able to connect to a server. Anyway, at least I know I'm not completely alone in my problems.
Like was mentioned its a bug.

I have only had this problem since the last patch. It has only happened to me twice and thursday was one of them.
Gwarsbane,Feb 16 2003, 07:08 AM Wrote:Like was mentioned its a bug.

I have only had this problem since the last patch. It has only happened to me twice and thursday was one of them.
It's funny how a patch fixes a bug for some and makes it for others. Before CS 1.3 I didn't have the problem, then I had it once that was released. Then with 1.4 I got it. When 1.5 came out it went away again. I thought this meant they had fixed it for everybody, but I guess not:(
Well, I'm getting a CD key in use error for the first time since the patch. I hear MS Outlook has a lot of security loopholes anyone think I got a CD key stealing bug? I know those go around. I don't know what else to think I am on a key from a copy of HL I just purchased a few weeks ago.