Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holdout's server issues
Ok, here we go. At least 4 times I have been in Holdout's Vad's Place, and it would crash... by that I mean it freezes, then says "Warning: Connection Problem." Subsequently, I drop from the server, and Half-Life closes. I return and the server is fine, everyone has been timed out, except for one. It is rather frustrating, not because I have to reopen and join the server again, but because everyone gets timed out and most stay out, so it disrupts everything. Now, I'm not sure if it is a problem with the server, or if someone is crashing it. One scenario was the same just a moment ago... server crashes, I return, and someone appears to be unaffected. The previous times, there was also a person unaffected, and he had a similar skill-level as this person (pretty good), but does not seem to be a regular and does not talk. The person this time was named Heroin, and I asked repeatedly who it was, and I got no response. If it was someone I knew, generally they at least give a retort. Anyway, the WONID was 2790854. I also did an XXX to mark when I returned from the crash, just so you could check it out. If this is the WONID of anyone here, sorry, it just looked suspicious.
I only had that happen to me once and that was last night. You were there when it happened. I got the same Warning but I waited about 30 seconds and it returned to normal. I think it is just the server doing that. The server does get lag spikes it seems every 15 minutes. Some are more extreme than the other.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
I remember that, but this is a bit different. I try to wait it out too, and usually it's the lag spikes we get... but this has been really bad lately, just the past couple of days, and the whole server gets timed out, and I don't understand how one person would be unaffected... and, it turns out Heroin was 420 biznis, and he was acting like a total ass for a long time, started reconnected... evil was there when 420 started becoming a problem. So I wouldn't rule it out, considering this is a recent occurance.
The lag spikes on Holdout's is starting to get REALLY bad, their network is going to shit or they need more bandwidth badly. Not to sound radical, but isn't there any other place you could host the Ricochet servers GRITS?
How about one out in California? I'd get around 30 ping :D
Sound's like a plan g-boy :upto:
And mine would just get worse, yeah thanks:P
check out the daily ping latency graph at Holdouts it does appear like there may be a bandwidth issue. I dont see anything on the forums there so I will send an email to their support and see if there is an explanation.
Keep in mind that a T-1 won't utilize the full 1.54Mbs and there might be other servers on the same pipe.
I have been doing the xxx thing everytime the lags hit. When the logs are examined, are the lags hitting at
a certain repetitive time? Is there a cron job running at those times? It might not be bandwidth related if
there is a process intensive item running at those lag times hogging up the disk array or the memory for a brief
second. The switch could be set for AUTO, but the interface on the server could be set for half-duplex..etc....trust
me on that one....it does happen by default. I would say try to narrow down a time of day or hour that it happens first.
It's only a T1? They're getting rich off GRITS~
We'll I saw they have 3 T-1's but I'm assuming their Network A has got them using 1.
A T-1 is plenty good for running a server, but when you start piling them up on just 1,
you start to get stuffed.:thumb:They're not getting rich...she's paying for the UPLOAD
available to us. That is the key: her upoad and our download form the game server. That
puny 256k upload from a DSL would lag us all out.

Speaking of stuffed....I just had Chinese buffet and I'm fuller than a fat girl's sock. PHEW !!!!:wacko:
Holdouts is working on the problem now...so if the server goes down today assume he is 'fixing' something....and just an FYI for you computer geeks...Vad's Ricochet and GRITS' Ricochet are run on two different machines and that is a good thing..... if one goes down the other may still be up and running.:thumb: so there is less chance of DTs or withdrawl pains...always thinking...... I am always thinking of you guys....:wub:
we know you are thinking of us GRITS :P or i wouldnt even be playing this game anymore :wub:
frito
GRITS is my hero.
HEY...she called us geeks....:P
You wanna see my coax???
i'm jealous of u network doodz...you guys really do keep the veins and arteries of our cyber world pumping....:thumb:
Well...some people know cars and can fix your broke down clunker. Some people
know plumbing and can fix your clogged shitter. I just know how to change my oil,
mow the lawn, mix drinks and network administration. Not only is it my career, but
I do it on the side all the time. I fixed the entire office at the local Citgo (gas station like 7-11)
and I told him give me $50 bucks. He thought I said $550 and WHAM...I got paid. Soooo...
get yer college degrees in something that you can make $$$$ in or get some certifications under
yer belts. This is where the money is and it isn't going anywhere but up.:heartbeat:
I'm in semester two of a Cisco Academy curriculum, I would know a crapload more about networks and components if my intructor wasn't a total jackass.
Cisco training is great to get your feet wet but you won't learn smack
unless you start implementing what you learned in a Cisco environment.
But stick with it....Cisco is premo great on your resume. My friend is
the Cisco Account rep here in town and I go over to his office and use
the Cisco lab they have set up to do testing. They love to help you learn
their stuff so you can preach it later. It also wouldn't hurt to go ahead
and take a few Microsoft exams. I am Certified now but I still have 4 more
to take before getting the MCSE title. Those are the hardest exams I have
ever taken...even compared to college and they cost you $130 bucks a pop,
pass or fail. Keep on chugging on !:thumb:
Yeah I realized that recently, Cisco Academy courses only focus on Cisco routers and Cisco protocols, along with anything required to manage networks that involve Cisco components, it never goes beyond that which is Cisco, and that pisses me off. Well whatever, the courses I'm taking are free, and yeah, I'm only taking them to learn whatever little the courses has to offer and to make my resume look good~
a b
Ahh the router sims are really fun, I gotta admit. They're labs, I haven't gotten to dealing with hackers yet, and probably wont for a while.
Ive got copies of the Cisco training CD's which have all the testing sims for the labs.
Ive got the IDS, PIX and VPN ones if anyone wants them. They are high dollar discs
but I can rip an ISO and post them for download if you want. I've had much fun
with the PIX firewall one.
If you can set an FTP up or something I would LOVE to have those ISOs PIX:)
a b
I'll see what i can whip up tomorrow with some FTP servers on those ISO's.
Ok guys...I have uploaded the Cisco training software that I have to my vampirez.org site.
If you want to download it...get it. Here is the link

www.vampirez.org

All I ask is that you register with the website first so I can know who is getting them. The
entire programs can be run from your desktop since they are 99% html and flash driven.
Just unzip them and find the start.htm file and you begin.

Enjoy:thumb:
First of all, THANKS a lot for hosting the ISOs PIX! I can't get them yet because I'm still waiting for my account to be registered, been possibly two hours, how long does it usually take? I just wanna leave the ISOs downloading while I go help my dad with stuff.
I never set it to block your downloading if you aren't registered. Any one can get them.
I just wanted you to register after so I would know you had been there. The password
should have been sent via email.