Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Man, I need help
I cannot figure out what the problem is here, but whenever I connect to the server of a downloaded HL Mod (CS, DoD, NS), the console begins to pull up, then usually stops about halfway, and any sound that is playing at the moment just plays like a broken record. Everything freezes, and I have to turn off my computer. This happens consistently, no matter what I do. I close down every other program, and I've changed from 800x600 to 640x480 to see if it was something to do with graphics memory (I doubt it... it's a 64mb card). It's been going on for a few months. Basically, I started playing DoD again, and it was all fine. One day, for no reason, it locked up as I joined a server. Finding this odd, I tried many times, never being successful. I decided to just forget it and play ricochet and CS... well, it began happening with CS as well. Basically, the only games I've been able to play are Ricochet and TFC... and though I don't play it much, I can play HLDM and DMC. I also tried NS recently, same problem.
I did what I didn't wanna do, that is, completely uninstall HL, then install it again. I got the new version of DoD, just tried again, but no, same problem. Now does anyone at all have any idea what the problem is? It's not unheardof to have HL freeze when joining a server, but for it to be consistent over about 3 months and to be able to play other games with no problem? Also, TFC isn't perfect... if I hit escape to look at other servers, or try to look at an IM, it freezes when I try to resume game. If I leave a game and try to join another, it freezes unless I close down HL and reopen first. Ricochet is the only game I can play without any problems. Last thing I can think to do is format my HD... which I hate to do, I've got lots of files, I'd rather not use 5 CD's to backup stuff and format, then have to install everything over again. I'm just too lazy, and what if it doesn't work? Argh. Help me out.
do you know if by some chance xupiter got on your computer? it is a nasty shareware that was screwing with absolutely everything on my computer including its pop up ads that would hit me during a game even when I thought I had everything turned off. It hides and re-installs itself if you dont get it all out. I believe I have expunged the whole thing now and I dont seem to be having the problems anymore....now if I can just stop getting bumped from holdouts I will be a happy girl.:thumb:
a b
ad-aware 6.0 caught the same thing that happened to you grits, its free share-ware at lavasoft.com
also keep a look out for i-lookup.com very bad stuff.(when i mean bad, i mean don't go to that site, automatically picks u up and attaches itself for home and in favorites.)
if all else fails, drop the all solving bomb: reformat.
a b