Poll: If you had neither game and could buy either which would you purchase?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
PS2
42.86%
9 42.86%
Xbox
57.14%
12 57.14%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PS2 vs Xbox
I think I want to buy one but have no idea about graphics and game availability, so all input is appreciated
xbox is slightly better, it can have a bunch of mods to it. You can even put in a much bigger hard drive (they ship with a 10 gig) but then agian M$ don't want you moding the box
i have always been a ps2 fan and i am loyal. Mostly because its got the type of games that i like.
PS2 has a wider selection of games and genres due to it's vast third party support whereas Xbox is known more for it's first party games Halo, Fable, and the upcoming Jade Empire.

Xbox does have better graphics in most cases not all. Xbox was released over a year and a half later that when the PS2 came out in Japan so it had more development time.

The graphic differances are minimal in the same games released on both systems. Gran Turismo 4 and the recently released God of War prove that the PS2 can still put out very good looking games.

While both have online capabilities Xbox Live is better in my opinion. Most games come with 2 month free cards, but you can get a year free if you buy the Xbox Live package.

Overall both systems have their pro and cons so it comes down to the type of games you are looking for. I can type forever, but I can dig up links to help you out.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
I think I want more what they call "fungames" racing and brain games, wouldnt mind a UT type of play
I have had both and the PS2 broke soon after I got it so I voted Xbox.
Ya, it just depends on what games call to you. The game I have probably played the most on xbox is need for speed underground 2. Halo was alright, but wasnt as good as ppl say it is. Ditto with Fable, but in my recent world of warcraft binge, i should give fable another shot.

If i had the money, i would have a ps2 mainly because of grand turismo 4 and metal gear solid 3, most likely GTA SA as well.

So just go with whatever gave you fall in love with.
Unreal Championship 2 is either out or coming out for Xbox.

And as was mentioned there are pros and cons to both systems.

The PS2 can play all of PS1 games so right there is something like 650 titles that should be pretty cheap to buy.

PS2 has free online, I think. But thats about all I have heard about it.

The XBox is very modable. you can put in new large hard drive and (like the PS2) can put in a mod chip to allow you to play imported games, but Microsoft don't want people modding their xboxs to do other things. A friend of mine has basically turned it into a small computer. If you go online with the mod chip installed and on, M$ will actually kill off your access and you will never be able to use that Xbox online again, at least on their official xbox network.

Xbox has more titles for online play, but there is also a good chunk of games that say xbox live on the back and end up only be the kind that you upload your scores to and not actually play live against people.

Also with Xbox, online play is the paying for access which is again something I don't really agree with. BUT there are things out there that allow you to play your xbox free online. Microsoft don't like this but too bad. I'll get my friend to tell me the name of it.
You do have to pay for Xbox Live, but it is worth the price with all the stuff with it. Plus from time to time developers have made new levels or other free downloable content. There is a bunch of cool stuff you can do with it. Microsoft puts alot of work into Xbox Live so it should not be free.

On the PS2 while it is free Sony does not have a hand in most of it. They make the people who make the games have to design the whole online part of their games. Basically Sony is just providing the connection. Plus if you have an older model of the PS2 like myself you have to buy the network adapter. The new slim models has it built right in.

I think almost all Xbox games are Live enabled.The ones released in the past year or so are anyway. While not all are playable online if you are playing any game someone can IM you and ask if you want to join them and play Counter-Strike for instance. It is a neat feature.

You do not need a mod chip to play imported games on the PS2 or Gamecube. There is a product made by Datel called the Freeloader which is legal. Most people who import do so with those 2 console since a bunce of stuff gets released in Japan first and some can't wait for it to come stateside. There is not much importing going on with the Xbox since Japan has not taking a liking to the console ever since it came out so there are not many Japanese developers for the system over there.

I don't want to go off into that stuff though cause I don't think Grits cares about importing games or modding an Xbox. I think she just wants the basics on the 2 systems.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
How about gentoo on PS2 ?:P

http://playstation2-linux.com/projects/gentoo-ps2

just a entertainment picture here (real though)
http://www.peanuts.gr.jp/2005/03/pslinux/0...1310032-big.jpg
Well, I'm INVISIBLE AGAIN ... I might as well pay a visit to the LADIES ROOM ...
Without ice cream life and fame are meaningless.
[Image: stoned.jpg]
I don't like consoles at all. You can't upgrade them so if you bought one you have to buy a completely new one to get better games/graphics. The Gamepads are very uncomfortable when playing 3D-Shooters.. I don't really know what I would choose when I ever buy one. Xbox has better graphics but PS2 has more games.. You have to choose for yourself.
Hmm wait and get xbox2
Where's the <3 to nintendo