Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new computer problem
I'm pretty much out of ideas for this one, but then i havent tried much.

Whenever I try to play a game, i can play for a few minutes, like 15 - 20, maybe to an hour tops and my computer totally freezes. My music still plays, but thats on a seperate hd. This happens with almost every game i play, except for rico for some reason. I thought this just had to do with world of warcraft, because a lot of other people are having freezing problems with it. I have tried updating my drivers but i still cant seem to get rid of this problem. I'm running a gf4 ti 4600, and have been for a little while. I dont have freezing problems while doing the basics in windows (surfing the net, chat, music).

I think this happened around the time i formatted my hard drive, which is really weird. anyone have any suggestions/ideas?
Could be heat. Ricochet isn't very graphics or processing intensive, but most other games are.

As a problem gets less software, and more hardware (can never remember if that's higher or lower level), the symptoms become more cryptic.
When was the last time you added memory?
Try installing and running a game on your mp3 drive. That way you can findout if the main drive is the problem.
I added memory last summer. I'm up to 768 megs. I'll try the other suggestions as well.
when you formatted you HD did you update your drivers? sometimes the most up to date drivers arent the best to run games, might try rolling back your vid drivers and see if the old ones are better.
Yeah when i formated i forgot to update my AGP driver and couldent for the life of me figure out why my computer was acting so strange.
Ya I have tried diffrent versions of the driver frito.

I dont know how to update the actual AGP drivers, how do you do it?
It's definately an overheating issue, you just need to find a better way to keep your video card cool. Water cooling is probably the best way
you could always put a thermal grease on your processor... if water cooling is a bit to complicated
heres some reviews:
http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm
http://www.overclockers.com/articles660/
and a link for all of them:
Thremal grease on new egg

Or the new Gummy Glue type stuff "Powerstrate" might work...
heres a review of that:
http://www.dansdata.com/powerdev.htm
can't find anywhere to buy that stuff :X:wacko:
Just go to the website of the maker of your mobo. Search their dowloads or drivers section for the agp driver for your mobo.Download and install.
smartass,Jul 25 2005, 05:16 PM Wrote:Just go to the website of the maker of your mobo. Search their dowloads or drivers section for the agp driver for your mobo.Download and install.
tried that, and somehow those drivers disabled my ethernet and sound card, and i had to format.

If its a heat problem I wonder why im having it now. I'll try getting some of that thermal greese.
My mothers PC was having the same problem. there was alot of errors on her hd.
Run a diagnostic test on your hard drive, you can download it at the hd website
Well, it could be caused by you running much more powerful games than before, like WoW and HL2. Just an idea.
i've been running wow and hl2 for quite some time. I got my wow account in aprill and even before that I was playing on my sisters. I got hl2 when it came out.

I have wow installed on my slave hd and hl2 on my master. I set up my room fan and took of the sides of the case to help cool it off. I started hl2 and i was able to get to the end of red letter day, so about 45 minutes before it frooze. Then I logged on to wow and was only able to play for 10 minutes the first time, then 15 the second before the freeze. After each freeze i rebooted then logged back into the game as soon as possible. This is why I dont think its an over heating issue.

Some video issues, I have had these issues before with this driver. On wow everything in the envoirnment and the automap flashes pretty frequently. Then after a short while it freezes. On hl2 the opening sequence with the gman wont display any video except some flashes, but runs the audio fine. Once I see the text "point insertion" everything is fine. On the menu screen I had a massive FPS drop and the audio would be really skippy (As if it were about to chrash, but never does). I turned the shader detail from high to low, and that fixed the menu issue. Hl2 also gets a very similar thing when I go underwater. This is what leads me to believe its a video problem.
Do you have another video card to test with?
I got my hands on an all in wonder 9700 pro. Seems to be a lot more stable now. When I was installing the card I had to update the AGP drivers, to install the card drivers, go figure. I also noticed on my old card there was a lot of dust in the fans, so that might have caused them not to function properly creating a heating issue. So it looks like may have been all correct, but at least i got a new video card for free out of the deal.
how'd you get it for free?
A friend came through for me.