Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
memory question
I need to get more ram for my comp for school. Just wondering if it matters how many pins it has and if so then how do i find out how many i need. I know the speed and type already. And does the brand matter? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Pins matter, because with the wrong number it won't fit in the slot. The number of pins should be related to speed/type (newer RAM using newer pin counts), so it shouldn't need to be looked up. However, your motherboard manual will contain that information. In the absence of such documentation, there may be something on the manufacturer's site.

Brand matters as well, since some will be positioned for the basic user, and others for the enthusiast. Others still will be crappy, and positioned for the enthusiast. This will have a large impact on price. Google some computer enthusiast forums with "RAM" and "quality" (or something similar) , and skim over what they say. Certain brand names will pop up a lot, and that should narrow the search.

Then there are different classes within a given brand. Classes are based on quality testing of the sticks, and how well they pass. I believe they are A through D, though I doubt that will appear anywhere you can read it. 'Economy' or 'value' will be in the range of C - D, while the more expensive and flashier ones will be A or B. Keep in mind that D grade RAM will work, and will work well (provided it's a decent make), it just doesn't have as many successful reads and/or writes.
go to Crucail.com orCenton.com and use their memory configurators. It goes by make and model of your pc, also some motherboard listings
Just try to get exactly the same ram as the one you already have,
also it will be placed in dual channel then and you'll have a speedboost