Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Network problems
I currently cant access the internet from my computer. Previously I could, but had massively high ping and such. We (at my house) currently think that the landlord mightve used crossover cables in the house wiring or something else to cause the problem...but when I was messing with it i did not suspect that.

What i did suspect was my computer, so i played around, eventually rolling back the driver on my network card. This killed my internet instantly. Ive now used someone elses comp to dl a new driver and installed that. Still no internet. Any ideas??
EEEEXCEELLEEEEEEENNT!!
[Image: SkaWars.JPG]
Might be your network card is dead.
Try putting in a different card and see if that works.

Or try hooking up another computer to your line, and see if it connects.
Crossover cables would flat-out not work. No ifs ands or buts about it.

What's your topology?
Topology? I googled the word and came up with an article muttering about the london underground, fusion reactors and drawing in four dimensions.

I might just give up and get a wireless card... Everyone in my house with wireless has the internet, and everybody without has not. At first I was a strange case cos I actually got some connection, which is what confuses me.

We've actually tried the crossover thing with no joy... now we're locked in a dispute with the landlord who is trying to deny responsibility for the dodgy cabling.
EEEEXCEELLEEEEEEENNT!!
topology : from greek: topos: place, loaction and logos: doctrine, teachings
topology is the information about a location
network topology is for example information about how the network is installed, how many routers you use etc
Gragoon,Oct 19 2005, 08:56 AM Wrote:topology : from greek: topos: place, loaction and logos: doctrine, teachings
topology is the information about a location
network topology is for example information about how the network is installed, how many routers you use etc
you geek :P
I had some geek..ERRR..greek lessons at school B)
Network topology is not only what devices you have, but how they're connected. The easiest way to represent it is graphically.

Crossover is mapped thusly:
1 -> 3
2 -> 6

3 -> 1
4 -> 4
5 -> 5

6 -> 2
7 -> 7
8 -> 8

The swapped pairs (one/three, and two/six) are two sets of Tx and Rx lines. The "crossover" is plugging the other host's transmit lines into your receives, and vice versa. The rule of use is "crossover for like devices", so if you connect to another computer to access the Internet, you'd use it. Household routers are made such that they always take straight-through, even going between routers. If you have cisco switches, they have a little 'x' under RJ45 ports to indicate how it's wired.

That's why it's important to know the topology.
Hmmm we opened up a few of our sockets, we think its wired correctly (well, it was wired badly but we rewired it). The resident most-computer-proficient-type reckoned that they were supposed to be wired to cc2 standards. Did that, still dont work. Mind you, the connectors are pants.... one of us is going to buy a decent lan socket to see if that helps.

Ill ask the dude about the topography. About to go drinking so cant right now.
EEEEXCEELLEEEEEEENNT!!