Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone need help with MySQL, PHP...etc?
If anyone needs help with their MySQL setup on UNIX or PHP configs...let me know.
I can also help you set up BIND 9.x, DHCP via UNIX, IPFW, NAT...etc.
http://www.clanut.org

PIX
Well like I said on the uT forums...umm I have a box to my right that is SCREAMING to be blessed with the holy tendrels of linux. I will give in to the fight soon and load that sweet thing on there. Then of course I will be forced to undergo extreme pressure and create my own server, while also learning the likes of php nuke, asp, sql, etc. So yea any help would be GREATLY appreciated (ie links, books, tutorials, etc.) I'm sure I could find everything imagineable, but I'll start with you guys first before I start on warez quest...
I have installed linux onto a box of mine, and so... I might be calling on one or two of those services of yours, heh.. I know quite a lot of basics, but there are just some obsecurities that I am gonna have to learn to get to grips with... I have used it for a long time from the user end, now I have to switch my head around (again!).
Well I know little about the basics of linux so I will ask a hopefully easy question. I have the Linux installed with the KDE GUI. While installing I specified I wanted the development options added but I did not get the
gcc compiler.

-Would the gcc compiler be included in a RedHat install (on the CD's)?

-How do I add applications to my Linux box? I know I am window-spoiled
but could not find anything in the Help files that gives any hints.

Thanks,

desNotes
gcc should have been included in one of the development options, but I don't use RedHat, I actually use Slackware. I can inquire from my RedHat associates though...

Question is though Does RedHat have an after install configuration menu (I thought it did), and if so, you might be able to browse through the packages to find the one hiding GCC compiler.

You can get instructions on it here which comes with complete instructions on how to compile/install it but that's useless until you have a compiler ;-)...
Actually, being you are on RedHat you can download a specific RPM for it (Other distrubitions do support rpm's to a degree). Take a look here.
gcc is usually installed on the newer linux installs. If you type which gcc, you should see the path to the binary. I work with AIX unix boxes, and
they do not have a compiler installed, by default. I have to go find a gcc tarball and install it manually. With Mandrake Linux, it is only installed if I select
the developer package as part of the install packages during initial installation. I learned this the hard way. You can also use a package manager to see what is
installed and what is available on the other discs to Be installed.
Pix,

I just lost a port on my Linksys Router, probably due to lightning. Can you recommend maybe something a little more reliable than a Linksys that won't kill my budget?

Also, can you recommend a decent KVM switch?

Thanks,

evil_admin

PS I d/l a couple Evanescence tunes and I am hookd...getting CD's tomorrow. Awesome voice.
You talkin bout your linksys router for dsl/cable for home? Naw...if I had to guy a router/dhcp server/firewall/etc...I would probably look at the Linksys. But you probably already have a few crap boxes laying in a closet somewhere with Pentium 200 chips in them. Install FreeBSD on it with 2 NIC's and run IPFW for a router AND firewall. Man I used to have those all the time and they kicked arse. Ship me an old sheitbox and I'll load you up with a powerful router. But if it's a time thing...go with the Linksys. Now at home I run Mandrake Multi-network Firewall on a PIII IBM box. It's free and VERY powerful. Integrates ssl for connecting via PC on inside network using browser to login to it and set up rules. Allows NAT, VPN and port forwarding along with SNORT and Prelude intrusioin detection systems. I can also get a real time graphical readouts of all the traffic in and out for each interface over the last year. It's also been up for 68 days with zero load and zero problems.

KVM...we use Cybex devices which can hook up to 35000 PC's. All you do is hit CTRL CTRL and volla...you get the Cybex console and you pick the PC. We also use the Belkin's for the offices...much cheaper. Cybex is the best.
Oh yeah :wub:I am going to give you two your own column just so I can listen to you talk dirty.....I mean shop...:blsh:
Me and Evil rule the world....:thumb:
Until such time I can get a decent book and the time to start reading I have a question that will make the linux guys ROTFL...

I have installed RH8.0 and when the OS boots it automatically starts the KDE GUI. Once in the GUI I have not seen anyway to get to a prompt. The GCC I downloaded needs to be 'untared' and I can't figure out how to do it.

Is there a way to by pass KDE when booting up?

Thanks
Ok, if you look in the other programming thread, I covered how to untar the egcs-1.1.2.tar.gz file. As for not using the KDE, you can press Alt-Ctrl-F1 (thru F5) to switch to Text Mode sessions, and when in the press Alt-F1 (thru F5) to switch between the five sessions at the console.

Some installations might only use Alt-F1 to switch out of X-Windows/KDE so if the Alt-Ctrl doesn't work, just use Alt alone.
Oh, and the command line prompt is either under the name 'Terminal' or 'Console' I can't remember which.