Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you wanna be when you grow up?
Ok some of us have gown up and already have careers...some of us have careers and still haven't grown up.... others of us have goals we have set for ourselves and careers we pursue. If you feel like sharing.... this is the place to do it. Good luck with what ever ambitions you have and objectives you seek.:thumb:
I wanna either work in the field of 3d graphics and animation, be a professional musician, or be a video/audio tech...
even i don't really know...i'm graduating from college next year (i'm a mathematics major). i don't even know if i want to go to grad school. some of things i have been thinking about are:

actuarial work (insurance statistics) - lotsa money and no grad degree required...but probably boring.
anyone see "about schmidt" w/ jack nicholson? seriously, when you see how much some of these guys make, you're no longer going to wonder why they keep raising your premiums...:D.

mathematical biology - basically mathematically modeling structures and processes in life-science...a masters a must here at least...i would especially like to work in ecological modeling or genetics...this one guy at school lectured on the mathematical properties of sea-ice...believe it or not, it was really interesting, and even more surprising, it was useful.

biostatistics - well, being a life-sciences statistician...lotsa jobs out there...probably work for a pharmeceutical company making sure their drug gets FDA approval. need a masters here.

basically, i will probably either work in economics or biology.

if anyone knows anything about any of these jobs, please let me know.
Where to begin....

To start, I am going to UCSB next year, as I exclaimed before. That was basically my first goal, get into college. I have a couple of majors to choose from, and I may change my mind a few times over the next year or so. But I'll follow asm's lead and give a few ideas I have for my future, in order of what would be most ideal (but perhaps unlikely).

Writer: I think I was born a writer, and for at least 7 years that's all I've wanted to do. I think I am good, but I just haven't gotten the push to write enough and try to get published. Realizing that a profession in writing often leads to disappointment, I will not pursue it as an educational degree, perhaps it is something that will just happen if I write during and after college.

Filmmaker: This is actually a more recent occurance, I've realized between my friend and I that we have some pretty interesting ideas and comedic abilities. We have an "idea book" which is basically all of our funny or stupid ideas that occur to us, and we want to implement them into a movie called Smokeless Fire. I've already written a satire screenplay based on some of our ideas. Once again, this is not a promising career, my father pursued it in college and it never worked out, I want something more secure. Perhaps something will come of it on our private time.

Forensic/research psychologist: This is where it starts to get tough to decide. I've always been a very observant person, and I think I'd make a good investigator. I am also pretty knowledgeable in psychology. It's been my plan for a couple of years to become a psychologist, but not a shrink, more of a researcher. The field of crime and investigation has been interesting as well, so I may go that direction. Unfortunately, it's not always great pay, and who knows if it will be the thing for me.

Forensic/research biologist: This is also very recent, I have discovered I have an amazing ability to absorb anything about biology/nature/medicine. It's also interesting to me. I am currently leaning towards a major in biology, but I have yet to choose a field, there is a couple that interest me. Once again, forensics will always be on my mind, but it's bad pay and sometimes boring, or so I've read.

Professor: I like teaching. I tutor, I am good at explaining things. But seeing what they go through, what they become, I do not want to teach at a level below University. Very high aspirations. In every field I wish to major in, I definitely plan on pursuing the highest degree I can get, and I want a Ph.D. Maybe someday I will be a psychology professor.

I have high goals, and sure, it may not happen. But I've always felt that there is so much going on in my mind that it must be put to good use. I'll stress again, no matter what degrees I end up getting, I will pursue writing, and see what happens. You'll see my name again one day. :D

Er... my name is Brandon MacKenzie.
I'm 27 and I have no idea what I want to do with my life...

I know computer programming, webpage design, graphics design. I've made music, I'm pretty good taking photos. I've been making musicvideos (if I had better source material they would be better) and lots of other things.

And now I'm learning 3D animation.

Any I'm not all that good at any of it, but I have fun doing it all.

So what do I want to be. No idea, I have too many things I like and too many things running through my head to concentrate on one thing at a time to the point that I don't get any one thing done.
I am new but i have a voice:)
I am about to finish my first semester at ferris state university "GO BULLDOGS" heh right now i am in pre-criminal justice planning on going for a criminal justice major, but right now i am kinda undecided i want to check out some graphics programs for movies and games and stuff;)not sure though. My original and right now goal is to apply to the F.B.I. or I.A. "Internal Affairs" after school of course either one i want to become the head of it:)"no joke" Other then that i just wanna make my daughter proud. :D
Master Chef!
Although, I'm happy being in business (it's been good to me), I have hopes of becoming a commercial pilot, meeting my soul mate, falling into deep deep love with them, getting married again, being a great husband, having two or three wonderful children who go on to get married and have lots of granchildren for my wife and I and us all living happily ever after ^_^
i actually thought of being a professor too...either in mathematics or computer science...but you have to always produce results...in the math department at my university, you are expected to get at least two significant papers published on your work a year.
i have this one professor, who always seemed bitter for some reason. i found out that 10 years ago, he came up with an exciting theory. he got to travel and give lectures at M.I.T., berkely, princeton, cambridge, etc...he was a hit at international math conferences. he got a tenured position because of it.
the problem is he had no real proof (in mathematics, a proof is extremely rigorous, just a convincing argument won't do as i'm sure he has plenty) that his theory was correct. as the years went by, people became less and less interested. he worked day and night on a solution...even to this day...but to no avail. if he can prove it, he'll become famous in the math/science community...so he was a hot shot and now he's not. i always thought he was kind of a mean guy, but now i feel sorry for him...if the solution never comes, he's wasted so much time. i bet this happens a lot...i don't want it to happen to me...i can only imagine the fustration he feels.
Seems mathematicians have a lot of trouble... just look at John Nash....
My goals include world domination and the North American (at the very least) banning of trucks and televised broadcasts of baseball.
Indeed, 90% of the time I see an accident or am cut off, there is a truck involved; 90% of the time I wish to watch a certain program ... another "exciting" game of the worlds worst excuse for entertainment is in it's twelth-plus inning.

If these goals do not pan out, then I will probably just roll with this computer science + MBA thing, in which case I will proceed to buy out
Microsoft and marry a supermodel =)
-Sockhole
"If ya SMELL ... what the SOCK ... is cookin."
I want to be a network administrator or network engineer. (and yes, I do know they differ vastly, I donno why everyone tells me that as if I havn't reserached my potentual career paths). Failing both of those, I want to get into the field of avation somehow.
:blink:
You don't like baseball????
:bh::devil::bgf:
john nash's optimization theory as it applies to economics is very important. i'll skip the math behind it. before nash, people thought the best thing was to maximize their own profit any way they could. now, because of nash, businesses know that it's best in the long run to make sure that business does what is best for all business, so that everyone succeeds thus creating a more stable economy. basically this leads to better co-op between rival businesses to ensure that those businesses succeed.
That movie made me cry. Damn you speech at the end ... damn you.
-Sockhole
"If ya SMELL ... what the SOCK ... is cookin."
Well hallo. Let's see, what do I want to be? I've never really been too hot on thinking of answers to these questions since I hit my head. Ummm...well I can certainly say I DON'T want to be a bum. But I still dunno. I'm lazy so I've never gotten really good at anything I like(just be quiet blake ^_^ )

Attached Files
.jpg   VashIcon.bmp.jpg (Size: 2.63 KB / Downloads: 0)
Yeah...he can't sing, he doesn't know a DAMN thing about computers...hmmm what else? Well he'd probably not be a very good guitarist...but wait he NEVER practices so we'll never know!

/sarcasm
what are you talking about?
kind of an inside joke....he said he couldn't do anything...and I listed his skillz, but said he couldn't actually do them in a sarcastic manner...I know him in real life, ya see...
I haven't grown up yet, and i've no intention of doing so for a while! Having said that though, I'm a Comptuer Programmer, who has worked as a Network Technician / Customer Services at the same time.
I can sing! I can sing!! And rap...but I can sing! :ph34r:
I've always wished I could sing:(I write a lot of music but it's frivolous in the end since I can't sing at all:(
As said before I am a Network Engineer. But my life goal is to buy and open
up a huge dance club in some old warehouse or downtown gothic church.
I want multiple bars and multilevel dancefloors with different DJ's spinning
different styles of music. I have worked in numerous dance clubs as a house
DJ for a long time and it is a great rush to pack the floor with peeps and control
their emotions all night long; taking them up and down with the music. You are
kind of like a shepherd tending to the flock. You're all invited once you are
of legal age. :)