Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats better.. new skool or old skool
i thawt this would be a cool debate because music plays a nice size role in im sure everyone's life.. me personally i like old skool music more. i like hip hop and old funk.. there is just more soul in it than rap these days.. rap these days has turned into a pop culture "backstreet boys" scene.. what ya got ta say.
I just came onto the forums as of late. I see no one responded to this question. I think, Antix the reason is that old and new are so relative. I am 26 so old school to me goes back to mid 80's. To some of these younger kids... old school is mid 90's. There are some I would guess here on the server who even go back to mid 70's!

Second, remember that today's music is just tomorrow's old school. Maybe you and I just don't connect with new music as we hear it for the first time. I find that I will sometimes go back and re-listen to stuff 2-3 year after its release and go... hey this is cool shit! Then I go back and buy all their stuff like a bandwagoner. Pantera for instance. I even saw them in concert and thought.. these guys are ok. Then later I got way into them and now I would love to see them again. I would describe them as old school for the record.

As for rap and such, I am all about old school. NWA, BDP, The Beastie Boys (needless to say), Digital Underground, Ice Cube, Run DMC etc. Great stuff.
Metal is in the air. I reeally like a lot of the new stuff in System of a Down, Sevendust, Tool (new school and old), SLipknot, and others. At the same time I really dig older stuff in Metallica, Ministry, and even some hair bands.

We have more access to music now. More bands have ways to be reached online, more stations on the radio, etc. I don't mean radio in the traditional sense, but with internet radio and satelite radio. With 10 times the bands, we will hear 10 times the crap we don't like. We still tend to pick only a few bands out to like and follow even though we have more to listen to. We pick our few and call the rest crap. We did that before, too. The difference is before somone else made part of ther decision, not allowing certain bands to be heard. If I want to make a song with just a drum machine, a keyboard and a microphone, I can. Then I can post it online on my website, Kazaa, mp3.com, etc. And no record company executive is going to tell me I suck. At leat not until I ask. Many of these bands reach you unfiltered.

I think that with all of that said, the really good stuff will still emerge. There is good new school music out there for us. We just have to wade through all the rest.

Beastie
well im talkin like...

Old Skool: pioneers of their music genre (i.e. Nirvana or NWA or BDP or The Beastie Boys...)

New Skool: Stuff that is popular nowdays..
I heard that beastie.
well, lets see.
i love all the "old school" music of the earily Metallic, NIN, Smashing Pumpkins and such. They are like Classics to me, they will always be my favourites.

But i do still like some of the new stuff but not as much as the "Oldies", they can never be replaced because thats what i grown up with.

As for the "Rap Crap", i can`t stand rap. i think rap is so fricken retarded. except for Eminem, he has some kick ass songs. but its those fricken "Yo Yo, Shoot the cops, and kill your Neighbours" shit that i find retarded. the whole "Gangsta" sceen that is annoying as all hell.:angry:
I can't wait for Big Band to come back. Nothing like some good Benny Goodman.
Wouldnt this queston depend on your age perspective of what 'old' is to you???
some of these kids here think old is Nirvana?? lol When I think of old skool i think
of RUN DMC or Dougie Fresh. It's completely perspective.
Scrye: ur racist:D
Pix: well... nirvana would be old skool "grunge" music.. cause they where the leaders of it... but age i dont think has anything to do with it.. if u never listened to music from 60-early 90s then i guess you would vote fer new skool...
HEY!!! i`m not racist!!! :o
i just don`t like the music:P
Scrye:
Quote:As for the "Rap Crap", i can`t stand rap. i think rap is so fricken retarded. except for Eminem, he has some kick ass songs.

i know mna.. but it was just funny how eminem i probley about the only succsessful white rapper.. besides beastie boys.. hehe
i just like his songs because most of them a hilarious!! :lol:
like "superman"!!!!
Eminem is one of the smarter rappers though (not a racist comment).
I personally don't like rap and I don't like his rap either, but he's not the kind of rapper who just says shit like "you'll find me in da club..IT'S YO BIRFDAY!"
50 cent yo..wurd<_<
well... the thing is with me... i like techno.. so i really cant judge music on tallent... but.. i dont think eminem is smart.. i dont really think any rappers are too smart now days.. but who ever came up with the whole.. "shoot people, and F*** B****S... were pretty smart and made a lot of money off it <_<
You mean Superman by REM??
I am........I am......I am Superman............and I can do anything...
what? superman by REM?
NO NO NO......
superman by.... EMINEM!!! lol

the one that goes "They call me superman, leap tall hoes in a single bound...."
Quote:i dont think eminem is smart.. i dont really think any rappers are too smart now days

smartER...he is a smarter rapper...i didn't say he was smart, just that he was smart for being a rapper:D

[Edit]
and by that I don't mean he was smart for choosing rapper as his proffesion..i mean he is smart, but still just some dumb rapper, although choosing rapper for a job is smart, he's rich!
Well give us some examples of smart musicians.
-Sockhole
"If ya SMELL ... what the SOCK ... is cookin."
I listen to just about everything, including hip-hop, but I tend to stay away from country and R&B. A lot of this new mainstream "rap" is starting to sound more and more like R&B. My tastes for hip-hop tend much more to the early and mid-90's, with 93 and 94 being the best years. The Wu-tang Clan and Black Moon made their debut, Tribe and Dre were still putting out good stuff ...

I'll agree that the "gangster rap" theme which was still pretty strong at that time is very annoying. I'm all about beats for the most part, but I often feel embarrassed by the lyrics. Lately, while driving I've been listening to the '91 album of a group I can't even say, because their name violates the rules, but I often find myself putting the windows up when I come to a stop and putting the volume really low when I'm going through playground zones or any other place where lots of kids are around. Yet, I will listen to them purely because of the beats and the WAY they say the lyrics. At least now, the gangster theme has really died down and now most of them rap about their fancy cars and superior skills.

BTW, supposedly, Eminem's favorite artist is 50 cent. If you like Eminem then there is a lot of other stuff that you would probably like. But if you can honestly say that you ONLY like Eminem, then I will go ahead and say you are giving him more credit since he is white. That attitude is quite common.
-Sockhole
"If ya SMELL ... what the SOCK ... is cookin."
I don't like eminem....i hate eminem...I think I have a problem with rappers in general...I hate the music styling's and personally I kinda find the beat annoying. Anyone here who likes rap..please don't hit me:ph34r: