Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oldies but goodies
NOH was great for a while...

but before that I pinged even better at the old KAH and APS server.
That is where I learned to play when the old time masters would play regularuly.
I hardly ever won in my first couple of weeks, but they sure put me on a positive path.

I think they went on to become TFC servers instead. I am not sure, though.

I think that is where I first met Jaba, Frito, and Acid, too. Long time ago, eh guys?

Beastie
yes you are too correct beastie, noh was the stuff then, and we were newbs, was when i could beat you, prob. was only 4 or 5 then that just owned because they knew all the secrects. you were first bud, then frito, then lil., funny to watch others worry about when it started. To me it started with us. remember gemaak and sinbon owning us.
Yeah, that whole crew was brutal. Sin and Gem were the best I had played at the time, but they always spoke of Knight being the best. I think I played him once. He of course owned me. I wonder if he still plays at all, even under a different name.

As good as all those guys were, I also wonder if they would be as good today with so many other experienced players. I mean in addition to the fact they were so good, they were also competing mostly with guys who just got the game with the cs update. They somehow had the game prior to that. I have played Gem since and he doesn't seem to have lost a whole bunch since. He was still damn good. Anyone seen the rest of them? Again I mean the old KAH clan bunch.

Beastie
all i know is that hylander whined alot and tried to guess the orginal pr0 server's rcon pword. he finally quit due to family problems. I heard he plays cs now.
a b
Started with you and I stole your glory, Jabba! Where have you been bro?

PS - Funny how you started it, but I can still kick your ass!;)

Just playin, come play some Jabba, I miss your slime....

Jooza
[Image: chicken+copy.jpg]
I split this thread because it was starting to drift towards the topic of players and since RWS, Yeti and Gemakk etc have resurfaced who knows we might see hylander or sinbon visit in the near future.
All i remember is beastie useing push disc on me all the time killing me, and me thinking if im gonna continue playing this game i'd better get better, and i do miss the old crew cus i learned alot from them, knightmare, in my view, was the best followed by gemakk and then sinbon and hylander. Its all good now cus everyone owns me :D
frito
why would you want to see hylander???? he was immature and not to mention tried to guess the pr0 server's rcon
you are so full of it frito.......stop with with false modesty....I do recall you were one of the first "good" players to help me out, along with desNotes, MadMix and quickening (who always thought I confused him for hylander but it was just my warped sense of humor) I dont ever remember playing hylander nor sinbon and I didnt play Gemakk before his return, Jabba I remember changing from horseman right about the time I started playing and I just remember hearing about how good acid_head was and then trying to pry him away from NOH same with Sri Lanka...heard good things about him but he was hesitant to join the "big new server"
Dang hard to believe we already have a history guys....it's kind of niceB)
PuNkGirL must have been quieter in those days because I sure don't remember anyone with as strong opinions as she :)
I remember I joined a server pretty much right after the HL patch ricochet was included with... slightly confusing at first, meaning it took a few rounds to see how it all fit together. I don't remember who it was, but basically the first player I faced was a good one, kept getting me over the barrier. I didn't take long figuring it out, then I decided to just jump very basically (I took each jump one at a time, trying to make them natural), but I did mostly jumping with arrows, and shooting decaps over the barriers. I learned my first stuff from Jariel. I played him over and over, and learned how to avoid shots and such. Then it was Yeti who jumped around like a maniac and I had no idea what was going on. Same with a few others. I remember playing rulepool back when he didn't own as much. Darkson annoyed me, so I decided to learn his method and try to fight fire with fire (hahahaha, you probably wish I never developed that habit). Basically I sucked for a long time. I stopped playing for a month or two, came back, realized I needed to get better. Around Dec-Jan, I played beastie and rulepool a lot. I played the two of them for like a really long time all alone in a server one night, and it forced me to learn how to avoid shots and hit decaps, as well as implement the fancy jumps. So there ya go... that's how I got built... over-the-barrier from god knows who, accuracy and patience from Jariel, then observed jumps from Yeti/RWS/etc, then stalling from Darkson, midairs and unpredictability from beastie/rulepool.
Oh and to give acid his due... I basically held and still do hold him as the best player, so I'll add him to those legends who lent their skills to me... the tourney match especially taught me better accuracy and such, that helped vastly.
Heh i have nice story

I Played at israel server and while im playing [KIA]Cloud-Fuel got into the server and asked me if i want a test and then he told me that there is other comunnity (NOH server) and he told me to play there more so i did and btw i did played vs Gemakk + Davion (won them when i had 30 ping and they had like me 200 :rolleyes:), well so first, Cloud teached me mid airs + jumps and while playing at NOH i learned more and more but all thx to Cloud:D after some times i saw pr0 and i asked to join:Dwas fun at prO... the meeting at Pique server were cool :thumb: miss pro :heartbeat:
yay Shalk mentioned me! woohoo. Anyway, yeah I'm definitely glad I helped him, cuz he's becoming one of the very best nowadays and WOWOOWOWOW Quickening got his name mentioned, which is awesome cuz he's kinda down on himself. Now as far as badass people from old...I remember the |s| clan, mainly Noxious, but ashton was good as was that baby guy.

- Pique, awesome even back then.
- Knightmare was the undisputed best, till that damned Gemakk came along (jk!).
- Sinbon, well I owned him a bit, then he owned me for like ever, and sometimes I'll beat him nowadays, but he's the sickest jumper I knew.
- Davion, a great player, very consistent, and very calm like Rulepool (also another great).
- Hylander, whiny, but could still kick most of your asses (emphasis on most).

- Punkgirl, I always had fun playing her (and beating her on those few times I did) and I vividly remember the day her and Shakira were playing and I was like DAMN! Two girls now own me....and then later on me and Shaki hooked up (not literally...but one can wish...:rolleyes:) and formed uT.

- Gemakk...ok no comment...we already know
- Jariel, Jin, and Jaelum...the J's of [DE] and OMG they owned and still do....
- Korean Priest, he and Phyxious started [KIA], and THANK THE LORD they let me try out...it started my ricochet career, anyways this guy kicked ass too
- Phyxious....well he's still around today owning, so yeah...there ya go.
- rUsh...always has owned, always will
- /usr/local/gin or whatever his name is....well he was pretty damn good too...
- I know there are many more...but these are the ones I remember off hand....OMG I forgot Frito...but yeah he's a fall-aholic (as well as Jabba), yet they still are badasses....and they're representing uT!!!

...enjoy
wow i'm not used to being mentioned in the greats....

Anyways, so when did this become a "how i became an rc player" topic?

oh well, here is my story:

The first time i played i was in a server with only one good person and now that i look at it, he was mediocre by today's standards. His name started with an 'S'. It was also a short name. Anyways, other then him, I did the best (pure luck i guess). I was also lucky and got to see the most basic turn jump there is (corner pad to the other center pad). Mind you i didn't even atempt this. Anyways, i got hooked (cause i did so good)

Then i got to meet our good buddy JohnnyKill. I clearly remember playing rc_arena2 and rc_skyarena too. Strangely i could beat him then so i guess i've always been able to beat him.... This was b4 he was a spamming retard (or at least i didn't notice cause i didn't know what spam was). All i noticed was that he never shutup and was really annoying.

So, after this, i started playing hylander ALOT. He being the king of every jump in the game inspired me to learn every jump in the game. So i worked on jumping before aim (defense first!). BTW, i can now jump from the center to the back pad and land ON the pad instead of the arrow on command.

Then shortly after i joined pr0, nem taught me how to shoot over the barrier. And finally, at one point (shortly b4 i stopped playing) i had high lag spikes and couldn't be as mobile and was stuck to linear jumping and not much of it. This was when i started working on my aim. Now as a throw back to that laggy era, you can catch me using linear jumping whenever i am incognito.
lol Cloud, do you know who the usr/local/gin is? It's PIX!!
a b
Ahh the good ol' days... here's my store:

I remember before I played on KAH, the very first server I played on was a 24/7 rc_user2 server, named WHO clan server (or some shit like that), I learned how to shoot over bars quickly and accurately there, that map is perfect for just that. When I started playing on KAH, it was a whole new way of looking at Ricochet for me, I never played rc_arena until then, being used to rc_user2... I never learned how to strafe in the air. My skill boomed when I learned how to strafe jump, people (even the more skilled players like Gemakk and Knightmare) told me that I had a very unique style, and potential to be a great RC player, that being told to me by several players, I kept on playing, kept getting better, and in about a month I was a worthy opponent against some of the best RC players, although I rarely won, I still knew I was lasting much longer, I craved more skill. I met a lot of other players there, some still play, some don't, Hylander (Johnny Kill) and I became great friends. Gemakk and Sinbad inspired me, I kept trying and trying, I was always looking for a way to beat people better than me, watching them play others, learning to avoid air shots, learning new jumps and new tricks. I loved ricochet a lot, it was the only challenging game other than EverQuest that I played. When APS came up, everybody moved to that server, it lasted a while, but later on the server started lagging too much, and a lot of people lost interest in ricochet for one reason or another. I can't read minds, but I'm pretty sure this whole time I was known as "that ###### that plays here".

When Holdout's came out, I had to get used to NOT being such an ######, it wasn't easy, but I did indeed change, although I still have trouble keeping myself under control when others try to regulate me, I seem to have dodged countless kicks/gags and two bans, still playing, still learning. About two months after playing on Holdout's I finally got broadband DSL, this helped me in a tremendous way. Soon after getting used to my new ping, I became (what I would consider) the best player in Ricochet, at that time RWS, Pique, RP2 weren't that good, and I took advantage of my good skill with a crappy ping. Things happened pretty fast after that, RP2 became the best, then RWS, then Pique. Playing g-boy has become a real challenge lately, I would rank him as the best player in the ricochet community as of this moment, at least I KNOW he's up there on the list. Lately I've been trying to better the game by encouraging the community to make some maps, post some topics on how to perform some tricks, I just wish more people would give Ricochet a chance, at first glance this game is a pos, but as you keep playing, and learning, it becomes one of the most unique and challenging games you will ever play. I'm SURE I left out a lot of my history in RC here, a lot of friendships, sorry if I did, you know who you are guys and gals =)

Whatever, I'm just rambling, had to speak out my thoughts some time. Love you all =)

except cloud...
Well, I guess I should post my story...

My brother is a CS addict, and I was a TFC addict, so naturally, we noticed the hype about the new Ricochet mod. My brother downloaded it, played it for 5 minutes then let me take over. I started playing(rc_arena) and instantly noticed that the movements and such are quite similar to TFC, and the disc shooting was also alot like TFC's soldier rockets. So, I stayed and started on a server called...halflife, I think it was, and the maximum number of players was 6. The reason why I played on that server was because it was the ONLY server that actually gave me good ping...25 ping in fact. So, I would just sit in the empty server for 10 minutes or so and wait for people to start to join.

I then noticed that Ricochet...was easy....so easy that I decided to stay. I started off with the strategy of shooting decap disks at the place people were going to land...and early in my Ricochet career, I developed a hate for push discs. I played more and more, nearly everyday now and completely forgetting about TFC. Eventually, a player named oh_yeah joined. He completely spammed the push discs, and such...but I noticed one thing...he shot over the barriers.

After a week, I was shooting people over the barriers with decap disks. Then people started calling me lame because I used nothing but decap discs....so then, I switched over to push discs, but I never spamemd them.

By now, the halflife server that I had such great ping on dissapeared, and I did have one more server in my favourites that I told myself I would play on if the halflife server ever died...but I got 100 ping on it, not good for TFC or CS terms, but at that point, I didn't realize that ping doesn't affect things too much in Ricochet.

It was the KAH server.

I played and played and played..although I forgot who I got trick jumping from, I saw somebody do a trick jump once, then I copied and then started doing it more and more. Before I knew it, I was trick jumping and using push discs in the air.

Then, I noticed all the idiots that reconnected, spammed, cheated, bugged and abused the game. So, with Sinbon to help me find the owner of the server(the KAH clan), I asked them if I could become an admin for it. He made both me and Sinbon an admin. So happily, I managed the server and then joined KAH, which was a TFC clan ironically. That's when I got to know the members of KIA and such, and then APS was formed with the help of Davion.

Soon after, I was sick of being called cheap and lame for using nothing but push discs, so I switched back to decap discs and found out that for some reason, I did better with them. I kept on playing both Ricochet and TFC for the longest time, all through the summer and such.

Slowly though, Ricochet was begginning to bore me, and the KAH clan proved to be a dissapointment. So, with Davion dissapeared into the realm of Everquest and other APS members missing, I quit it and quit the KAH clan along with it. I joined PFM, another TFC clan and temporarily quit Ricochet, since the new PFM clan was much more skilled and required more committment.

But, things don't last forever.

I then quit both TFC and Ricochet for Tibia. An online RPG that I used to play a loooooong time ago, but quit because I became sick of the Player Killings....I waited patiently for 6 months....(Ironically, the time I spent playing Ricochet and TFC again) for a new server to come out that didn't have Player Killing. One was made, called Secura. I instantly started to play Tibia again full time, meaning no time for other games at all. For online RPGs, it's a race if a new server is created.

For the next 7 months, I played Tibia. I'm now the highest player in Secura. :D

Throughout the times, I came back to Ricochet, because I always miss games that I enjoyed in the past. Rusty, I played on and off, seeing how all the people I remembered are now the top players of Ricochet.

And so....I guess that's my story, I also dragged Rulepool2 and Mew into Tibia a bit :P

So that's my story....I just love making huge posts:P
Holy crap I forgot Cloud, he taught me a lot also and he fits right in there with the best of em,
i would also give props to Quick "but i dont think he reads this stuff anyway"
he was one of the few that would explain how to do things in the game so that my little mind could comprehend. kudos to Quick :thumb:
wow I did? cool, I had no idea....maybe I'm just inspirational to all (lol yeah right)...
If I ever need a boost of confidence, I'll play cloud... I guess you could call that inspirational...
My story, not an oldie to RC but to CS.

My brother and I bought Halflife and CS about hrmm 6 years ago now? 5-6 something like that. I was entering college and he was in college. That summer we switched every 10 kills or 5 deaths playing on HL servers. I got into CS some, and got pretty decent, but cheats were being developed and I started to hate it. My brother went to college, and my friend told me about this game in BETA called EverQuest. I went from Beta3 and still play some to this day. I started out on another server besides the one I am on now, and made a good life. But I decided to follow a few college buds over to a new server. Made a living there for 4 years, and the addiction lived in me. I made it through pretty well, but I started to feel the bore of it.

I got WC3 last year and played some, got boring real quick. Got back into Tribes 1 and 2 for a while, then got boring. Then I found this RC mod, my friend and I played Deathmatch for 5 hours straight in a LAN 1v1. We didn't do fancy jumps or anything til the last hour. I started getting a feel for some movements and we were doing mid air shots even then. I decided to see if anyone played it online, the first server I came to was VADS, that was in January. I played against RP2 and I kept asking him how he did all that stuff. After a week or so with his help I was a decent jumper.

3 months later I am what I am today, good ole Jooza =)

Jooza
[Image: chicken+copy.jpg]
Nobody mentions poor ole' Strider? He deserves his place in the hall of fame.
I will definitly give Acid his due. He is the guy who got me mad enough to want to play a TON. I decided one day that I was done losing to acid. A month later I think I really gave him some good games. I donno Acid, how about since then? Lol. We don't play nearly enough anymore. I miss our games.

Funny thing Cloud. You only want to mention the clan peeps! lol kidding.

Others that were good that I remember... <x> and <q>
Who else remembers TheWholeDamnShow?
How about AngryFatBlack?

Beastie
I remember the the whole f'n show
wasn't he killing spree tho?
nobody mention me :(
Shalk -
Quote:nobody mention me 

CloudFuel -
Quote:yay Shalk mentioned me! woohoo. Anyway, yeah I'm definitely glad I helped him, cuz he's becoming one of the very best nowadays

...I mentioned you as you mentioned me
*walking in the cabin by the help of a cane, hips creaking like an old wooden chair, breaking wind by accident as I fall into to the old naugahyde recliner* I too came from playing years of CS, subconsciously welcoming anything new and refreshing to replace the stale first person shooter Mod that I had once loved so much, but I had grown bitter due to all the mass hacking that had consumed the wholesomeness of CS, it just wasn't fun anymore. When I started playing RC, I didn't go back to CS, not even for a game, I'd lost the desire. I liked RC right off the bat. Maybe it was partially due growing up in the Tron era, but mostly because it was fun as hell and no hacks (I've just read that is changing). Ahh the fond memories of KAH servers. I remember updated my servers and seeing one of the KAH servers close to where I lived. I used to make jokes and ask questions like "Hey where is this server? In my ass? Oh ok that explains the low ping." I felt so privileged, I'd never found a server that offered me such a low ping. I don't know where that server was located, but it had to be in the Pacific NW somewhere. I can remember my ping being around 30 on average, and as low as 14 on a very rare occasion. That is where I first befriended Jabba, my first RC friend, wondering what was up with his name, thinking he must be some twisted individual to mutate a Star Wars name, especially something from Return of the Jedi of all movies. I liked him and began looking for his familiar handle as well as others like Antix (Powered by God) when I'd log on. When I first began to play, I was going by a slue different names like CrazyLegs, Percocet, SouthColumbianDrugLord and then switched to Terrorizer. I too worshipped players like Willy Wanka, Gemakk, Sinbon and watched good players at the time grow into RC masters, Beastie, RWS, acid. When I changed my handle to TrOma is about the time APS was disintegrating and KAH was on the verge of disappearing. I stayed anonymous to most with the exception of a few with my name. I was famous for telling people to stop in game, wanting to show them a new trick walking up to him and decapping him or telling him I'd brb and waiting until they were unfocussed and off guard, then decapping them and consequently getting quite a little kick out of it. After being nailed a few times, Jabba had grown wise to my sneakiness and decided to pay me back.
One day, he and I were in game and I told him brb, I had to go AFK for a second to go pee or something, which I really did at the time. When I sat back in my chair, looking at the monitor, I didn't see Jabba anywhere. It was odd, thinking he had left the game of possibly just fallen off the platform. Just as I put my hand on the mouse...KACHING, off went my head! Jabba laughed as he typed to me telling me he was waiting behind me, until he saw movement to kill me. He could have just killed me while I was AFK, but no, he waited to kill me in person. He got me pretty good I have to admit, but not too long after that, might have been that same game, I went AFK again. When I came back, again, Jabba wasn't in site anymore, he was trying his little trick again! I was almost insulted, him thinking I'd fall for something like that twice, but on the other hand, no matter how what I did to escape the decap, I couldn't. Jabba was sitting there, watching for my slightest movement to kill me again. As I sat there contemplating, I knew if I didn't hurry, Jabba would grow impatient and decap me soon...and that's when the light bulb came on, I'll distract him and get him to type. Without touching the mouse, I typed something to the nature of "Hey Jabba guess what?" and gave him a few seconds to start typing a response which I'm positive he had began. Hoping my plan had worked, I turned around with out warning and fired a decap at Jabba...KACHING, off went his head. And I begin to laugh and banter.
Some of my friends look at me funny if I even mention the game, they probably think I'm a computer nerd, but I don't really care what they think. RC and playing with you all makes me happy. I've met some terrific people in RC (shout out to all my homies, you know who ya are) and honestly feel like part of a little family. *gives everyone a big hug* *squeezes GRITS's bottom*;)
I'm not at all sad that RC isn't popular, perhaps I enjoy escaping to the intamacy of our little RC world. I find it very unique that something as fun as this has stayed contained and pure.
Reading these posts before hand made me laugh out loud because we're some of us are so nostalgic about things and it hasn't even been too long ago, but regardless, I had to contribute. That's what the older members in the tribes do, tell stories to all the young ones, the nooblings.