Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ricochet Source Code Mods
In addition to working on the stats program for GRITS' servers I have been looking at the source code for Ricochet. We all know there are some serious and not so serious bugs in playing and some features we would like to see.

I started off slow and tried to tackle something that would be fairly easy and something that would be readily seen.

What I did was make it so players can change their models to either either male or female, instead of being locked in to using the male model only (unless you hacked the model files).

It works! I am psyched. I opened up my development server and Limitless came in...it was funny because players do not have a default model in their config.cfg file and it then defaults to Gordon, who cannot stand up or make the right moves. Anyway once he type "model female" in his console he changed to female and I was able to switch back and forth from male to female.

Now, in order to update GRITS servers to use this feature I need to have the source code compiled on a Linux box with C++. I will be researching what free compilers willl work with HL and start on the makefile but since I don't have a Linux box I need someone who has access to volunteer to compile the source code for me.

Leave a reply here and I will contact you...

Thanks,

desNotes (evil_admin)

PS I am contiuing to look at the source code and will keep everyone posted on my next fix.
i'm interested in recompiling ricochet for win32...just the game .dll but how?

i'm getting the feeling that the entire code that comes w/ the sdk is ricochet in the sense that you need all of it to compile a working ricochet build. the only mod specific code is in the ricochet folder...the stuff outside is the base classes and such that you use to extend from. correct?

i replaced the .dll in the half-life/ricochet/dlls folder w/ the one i built from the multiplayer src...and nothing changed (in terms of game play). or am i not drawing the right conclusions here?

EDIT: yeah, im drawing the wrong conclusions i guess. i removed all .dlls from the directory and ricochet still ran fine. anyways, help!
There are quite a few files outside of the ricochet source that are included in the ricochet dll. I had to change some folder pointers in order for it to compile correctly.

To compile it you need to find the workspace file (mp.dsw) in the multiplayer\ricochet\dlls folder. And remember the mp.dll file is just for the server so it will only be used if you are setting up a dedicated or listenserver. The client dll, cl_dll file will not work if you compile it because it will be different than the one you have and each server has a client dll to compare when players enter a server. This prevents cheaters from modifying their client code to take advantage.

Once you have compiled the server dll, you would rename your old mp.dll something like mp.dll.old and put in your new one in half-life\ricochet\dll and then create a game. It should run exactly the same. Then you can start making changes and then recompile and test out the changes.

Let me know if you need any help...I will be glad to offer any assistance I can.
evil,

how close are you to making a server-side team-play mod?

what about this?...the idea is that the mod can be used for clan matches and have the features nescessary to support this making clans in ricochet not merely a novelty...it may also be fun for players outside of clans of course. i'm currently working on this project tentativly called "ricochet team arena" and anyone is invited to help if they think they can.

if time permits "a ricochet team frenzy" mod which allows teams to compete against each other at once dm style would be cool too. maybe even adding a "capture the flag" mode...:o...well...first things first...lol

anyways, here's a screen-shot of my first baby steps (and i do mean baby)...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

notice the upper-left corner of the screen-shot. basically...before a player spawns into an arena, he has to choose red or blue and he stays that color unless he himself decides to change teams.

now, imagine a uT vs. RiP scrim happening finally...uT is red and RiP is blue...they will only be able to play against each other...so no worries about a nox vs rws or shalk vs. jooza scenario.

man, i'm tired...i hope u get the gist...:D.

oh yeah, "capture the flag" rico will most likely not be a server-side mod...lol
Yeah I totally like that idea better than the previous one we had....keep it up guys!
Who is this CarrotCake??? I think he may be another computer geek....be still my heart ^_^ and he is one of my favorite desserts too...wow
great, i could use all the help i can get CarrotCake...judging by your post in the other thread, it seems your just the guy for the job.
i just downloaded icq today...

my number is: 303988154

my nick is: .asm